Is there some rule about gay subjects here?

Smokers are discriminated against to protect non-smokers around them.
Alcoholics are addicts, and would be no different than a homo nimphomaniac. That doesn't mean every person who drinks is a social outcast.
Gambling addicts are the same as alcoholics. Non-addicts aren't social outcasts.
Being fat alone hardly makes you a social outcast.

Your opinion of why smokers are legally discriminated against is irrelvant to the fact that they ARE legally discriminated against.

Alcohol .... one ounce of alcohol will cause you to blow a .1. The legal limit is .08. Blow that .1 and see how society via its laws discrminates against you. Whether or not you are an addict is irrelevant.

The only people I know who don't think gambling at any level is an addiction are gamblers.

GMAFB on the fat people. Fat people are shunned at every level of our society. Hell, I've seen fat people dog out fatter people and call them "fat." But you go ahead and thumb thorugh ANY fashion mag you care to choose and see how many fat people you find modeling the latest styles, selling MJ's latest sneaks, etc.

Your opinion of why smokers are legally discriminated against is irrelvant to the fact that they ARE legally discriminated against.
My opinion is that smokers certainly are discriminated against, but not because people think it's a nasty habit.
Alcohol .... one ounce of alcohol will cause you to blow a .1. The legal limit is .08. Blow that .1 and see how society via its laws discrminates against you. Whether or not you are an addict is irrelevant.
Society would send you on your way, unless you were operating a vehicle. Regardless, having a couple beers doesn't get you discriminated against in society. Dream on.
The only people I know who don't think gambling at any level is an addiction are gamblers.
Right. Ok. Sure thing.
GMAFB on the fat people. Fat people are shunned at every level of our society. Hell, I've seen fat people dog out fatter people and call them "fat." But you go ahead and thumb thorugh ANY fashion mag you care to choose and see how many fat people you find modeling the latest styles, selling MJ's latest sneaks, etc.
Gauthier?

Smokers are legally discriminated against. Alcoholics and/or anyone who cannot hold their booze are socially and legally discriminated against. Gambling addicts and fat people social outcasts. Drug addicts are socially and legally discriminated against.

Since you choose to compare homosexuality to an addiction, it should be treated just like the rest of them .... NOT ACCEPTED BY MAINSTREAM SOCIETY AS NORMAL BEHAVIOR.

And thanks for sinking your own boat, nimrod.

In some settings and under certain conditions, smokers are shunned and discriminated against. Under other circumstances they are not. The same applies to drinkers, gamblers, and homosexuals. I was talking about people who engage in these activates. I do not recognize them as addictions but as choices. They are normal behaviors according to some people and they are not normal behaviors according to other people. The comparison and parallel still holds. There is no sunken boat.

My opinion is that smokers certainly are discriminated against, but not because people think it's a nasty habit.

Again, why you think it is doesn't matter. It is behavior society has decided it's perfectly okay to discriminate against.

Society would send you on your way, unless you were operating a vehicle.

Incorrect. It is against the law in most states to be publicly intoxicated. Intoxicated being defined by blowing that .1. Cops have a field day here during Spring Break. That is legal discrimination against consumers of alcohol.

Regardless, having a couple beers doesn't get you discriminated against in society. Dream on.

Barney Fife doesn't make those laws. He enforces them. The laws are derived from what society is willing to accept or not.

Right. Ok. Sure thing.

Get out much?

Gauthier?

"?" Wht is that? Some fashion mag for fat people? All one of them.

In some settings and under certain conditions, smokers are shunned and discriminated against. Under other circumstances they are not. The same applies to drinkers, gamblers, and homosexuals. I was talking about people who engage in these activates. I do not recognize them as addictions but as choices. They are normal behaviors according to some people and they are not normal behaviors according to other people. The comparison and parallel still holds. There is no sunken boat.

You just keep sitting there at the bottom of the pond thinking that.

"?" Wht is that? Some fashion mag for fat people? All one of them.
You can't just use an example of discrimination without looking at the cause.

Murderers are discriminated against. :rolleyes:

So, yes, it IS important why smokers are discriminated against, and I've yet to hear anyone claim it's because people find it disgusting.

You know damn well you don't get arrested for public intoxication. You get arrested for being an ass while drunk and they call it public intoxication. You're not being discriminated against for being intoxicated; you're being discriminated against for being an ass. They have a field day at spring break because there are a ton of assholes. About the only area that I might agree with your strained comparison is open container laws, but those are no different then public indecency laws.

Your claim that anyone who gambles is an addict is absurd. Unless you're severely restricting what constitutes gambling. March Madness? Poker games? Office pools? All gambling.

So, yes, it IS important why smokers are discriminated against, and I've yet to hear anyone claim it's because people find it disgusting.

You know damn well you don't get arrested for public intoxication. You get arrested for being an ass while drunk and they call it public intoxication. You're not being discriminated against for being intoxicated; you're being discriminated against for being an ass. They have a field day at spring break because there are a ton of assholes. About the only area that I might agree with your strained comparison is open container laws, but those are no different then public indecency laws.

Your claim that anyone who gambles is an addict is absurd. Unless you're severely restricting what constitutes gambling. March Madness? Poker games? Office pools? All gambling.

If it were only true that people could be arrested for being an asshole but unfortunately you have to be a drunk asshole.

If it were only true that people could be arrested for being an asshole but unfortunately you have to be a drunk asshole.
The point is, you don't get arrested for being drunk. You can be wasted out of your mind on the side of the road and no one will pay you any attention so long as you're not a potential threat/hazard for the general population. Irresponsibility when drunk is what gets you in trouble; not being drunk.

You obviously don't smoke.

The ONLY reason people object to smoking is because they find it disgusting. Every single objection to smoking is based on one thing and one thing only: the smell. That's it. All this ETS bullshit is just that, bullshit. There has never been a single study ever done anywhere that proves that ETS is anything more than annoying.

People don't object to second hand smoke. They object to the smell of it. That's why the most fanatical anti-smoking zealots are never happy despite ban after ban after ban. They can still smell it on us.

You obviously don't smoke.

The ONLY reason people object to smoking is because they find it disgusting. Every single objection to smoking is based on one thing and one thing only: the smell. That's it. All this ETS bullshit is just that, bullshit. There has never been a single study ever done anywhere that proves that ETS is anything more than annoying.

People don't object to second hand smoke. They object to the smell of it. That's why the most fanatical anti-smoking zealots are never happy despite ban after ban after ban. They can still smell it on us.
You obviously DO smoke. :rolleyes:

It's not having to smell it, it's going home and having the smell follow you. I shouldn't have to deal with my clothes smelling like shit so you can kill yourself.

It's not having to smell it, it's going home and having the smell follow you. I shouldn't have to deal with my clothes smelling like shit so you can kill yourself.

Well, thank you for being honest.

It does stink, I'll grant you that. They last time I quit I lasted nine days and for about a week or so I could get a fix by sniffing my fingers. Seriously. I could still smell it on me for at least a week.

And also, thanks for making another good point. It's not the smell in the air that bothers non-smokers, no matter how much fake coughing they do at the mere sight of a cigarette, it's the smell once the residue settles on things like your clothes, or your hair, or the furniture. That's when it really stinks.

I have two dogs. Pomeranians. Dumbest dogs I've ever had in my life. They'll pee right in front me. They totally ruined my hardwood floors in my last house. When I went to sell it, I tore up all the wall to wall carpet and the floors were just a mess. Way beyond refinishing. I mean these floor were ruined to the point that replacing them was really the only option. I cleaned them up as best I could and hoped it wouldn't affect the selling price too much. Then, because I am a chain smoker, I paid $2000 to have the entire interior of the house painted.

Nobody cared about the floors. All they cared about was the smell of smoke. I've always known that fanatical anti-smokers only care about the smell, but I was really shocked that they cared more about that than they cared about thousands of dollars worth of ruined hardwood floors. The fact that I was a smoker was the biggest problem I had selling my house. It's crazy.

In context, your reason for discrimination is irrelevant. "Why" is a separate subject. Come on, I expect a little better from you.

That is your opinion. The fact is the law, as decided upon by society's government representatives discriminates against people who use alcohol.

I was wondering if you were ever going to go literalist on me. It's a gamble stepping out of bed in the morning if you want to look at it that way.

However, in context, people who are not addicted to gambling wouldn't do it. What would be the point if it doesn't fulfill some "need" (spelled: addiction)?

The point is, you don't get arrested for being drunk. You can be wasted out of your mind on the side of the road and no one will pay you any attention so long as you're not a potential threat/hazard for the general population. Irresponsibility when drunk is what gets you in trouble; not being drunk.

Wrong. The irresponsible behavior is a separate charge(s).

Smokers shouldn't have to deal with all the whiney arguments that accompany anit-smoker's rants. Noise pollution at its finest. And I find it HILLARIOUS that some fatass, nasty sweaty asshat that's going to die from clogged arteries and a massive coronary LONG before cigarettes kill me is ALWAYS the one heading up the withhunt. I don't care if you ban cigartees or not, the bitch here isn't going to get lucky in a bar unless they legalize LSD because there damned sure ain't enough alcohol to do it.

Well, thank you for being honest.

It does stink, I'll grant you that. They last time I quit I lasted nine days and for about a week or so I could get a fix by sniffing my fingers. Seriously. I could still smell it on me for at least a week.

And also, thanks for making another good point. It's not the smell in the air that bothers non-smokers, no matter how much fake coughing they do at the mere sight of a cigarette, it's the smell once the residue settles on things like your clothes, or your hair, or the furniture. That's when it really stinks.

I have two dogs. Pomeranians. Dumbest dogs I've ever had in my life. They'll pee right in front me. They totally ruined my hardwood floors in my last house. When I went to sell it, I tore up all the wall to wall carpet and the floors were just a mess. Way beyond refinishing. I mean these floor were ruined to the point that replacing them was really the only option. I cleaned them up as best I could and hoped it wouldn't affect the selling price too much. Then, because I am a chain smoker, I paid $2000 to have the entire interior of the house painted.

Nobody cared about the floors. All they cared about was the smell of smoke. I've always known that fanatical anti-smokers only care about the smell, but I was really shocked that they cared more about that than they cared about thousands of dollars worth of ruined hardwood floors. The fact that I was a smoker was the biggest problem I had selling my house. It's crazy.

They've been trained via propaganda to go into the nose-pinching routine at the smell. When I was a kid, it didn't bother anyone. All it took was some asshole with an agenda to point out that it should, and that was that. They didn't know it existed until someone pointed out they need to look for it.

The chemicals in cigarettes are what cause the putrid and lingering stench. Regardless of what you think about the smell of fine cigars and pipes while it's burning, the residual smell is nowhere near as bad as cigarettes. So it's not tobacco, it's cigarettes.

They've been trained via propaganda to go into the nose-pinching routine at the smell. When I was a kid, it didn't bother anyone. All it took was some asshole with an agenda to point out that it should, and that was that. They didn't know it existed until someone pointed out they need to look for it.

I've had people wave their hands and cough at me as they walk by me and I haven't even lit the damn thing yet. It's comical. Some people get so pissed off at the mere sight of a cigarette they give themselves fits. It's like people who claim to be "allergic" to cigarette smoke. Bullshit. They're allergic to the smell, that's all.

It always amazes me when people use smoking as a comparison to gay rights because the whole smoking thing is the exact opposite of gay rights. I can't smoke anywhere anymore except my own home. So many laws have been passed that prohibit my behavior I'm lucky I can still smoke in my car. And there are many people who want to outlaw that if there is a child passenger. It's called a window, assholes.

It always amazes me when people use smoking as a comparison to gay rights because the whole smoking thing is the exact opposite of gay rights. I can't smoke anywhere anymore except my own home. So many laws have been passed that prohibit my behavior I'm lucky I can still smoke in my car. And there are many people who want to outlaw that if there is a child passenger. It's called a window, assholes.

I think it's disgusting for somebody to smoke in a car with a child. A window does not stop all the smoke getting to them.

I agree it is stupid to compare smoking and gay rights. Two homos banging each other has absolutely no affect on my life, you smoking in the same room as me does...

I think it's disgusting for somebody to smoke in a car with a child. A window does not stop all the smoke getting to them.

Yes, it does. It's a physics thing. And it's visible to the naked eye. I can't explain it in scientific terms, but cracking open a window just a little bit in a moving car makes the smoke get sucked out the window. You can see it happen. But if you open all the windows all the way, it doesn't get sucked out.

Back in my bar days I had a running fued with the bar owner over the cigarette smoke. He was rarely there, but every once in a while he'd show up and the first thing he'd do is prop open the back door of the bar all the way. This was a very small, dive bar, and so when he did that we all froze. He didn't care. It could be 2 degrees outside and he'd be behind the bar so he didn't ge the brunt of it, but those of us sitting at the bar would be freezing.

The thing was that opening the door all the way did nothing to let the smoke out. Again, it's some kind of physics thing. You could actually see it. When the door was closed, and somebody came in the back door, it was like swish! and all the smoke in the air would just be sucked towards the door. We'd leave the door cracked just a little bit, and you could see the smoke in the air move towards it.

It's weird and I can't explain it, but it's true. So smoking in a car, as long as the window is open a little, doesn't harm anybody. Except the smoker, of course.

I agree it is stupid to compare smoking and gay rights. Two homos banging each other has absolutely no affect on my life, you smoking in the same room as me does...

My smoking in the same room as you is annoying. If you're going to outlaw every annoying habit everybody has, nobody could go out in public. I'd really like to outlaw people who whistle. Actually I'd to shoot people who whistle, but I'm a civilized person so I just get away from them as fast as I can.

I've had people wave their hands and cough at me as they walk by me and I haven't even lit the damn thing yet. It's comical. Some people get so pissed off at the mere sight of a cigarette they give themselves fits. It's like people who claim to be "allergic" to cigarette smoke. Bullshit. They're allergic to the smell, that's all.

I smoked for many years, so I know what you're talking about, and at times, I couldn't get it lit fast enough to get some smoke going in the right direction of the more theatrical!

Mattskramer knows NO bounds when it comes to dishonest reativism and literalism when trying to push the agenda of gay rights. He's had his ass handed to him so many times on this board it's rather boring at this point. But he'll come back in a couple of weeks, repackage his product, and spout the same crap as if it had never been shot down time and time again.

Forum List

Back