Is there some rule about gay subjects here?

I think it's disgusting for somebody to smoke in a car with a child. A window does not stop all the smoke getting to them.

I agree it is stupid to compare smoking and gay rights. Two homos banging each other has absolutely no affect on my life, you smoking in the same room as me does...

Ahhhh .... a product of the propaganda war against cigarettes speaks. We were just laughing at people like you.

I think it's disgusting for somebody to smoke in a car with a child. A window does not stop all the smoke getting to them.

I agree it is stupid to compare smoking and gay rights. Two homos banging each other has absolutely no affect on my life, you smoking in the same room as me does...

How about we just make it against the law to affect someone elses' life ? It seems the be the liberal mantra. Do what ever the hell you want as long as it doesn't bother me. Would that fix things for ya Grump ?

How about we just make it against the law to affect someone elses' life ? It seems the be the liberal mantra. Do what ever the hell you want as long as it doesn't bother me. Would that fix things for ya Grump ?

Works for me. Let's discuss those non-driving imbeciles who cause me to have to leave home in the AM WAY before I should have to ....

Well, thank you for being honest.

It does stink, I'll grant you that. They last time I quit I lasted nine days and for about a week or so I could get a fix by sniffing my fingers. Seriously. I could still smell it on me for at least a week.
Don't you find it troubling that you were sniffing your fingers for a fix?
And also, thanks for making another good point. It's not the smell in the air that bothers non-smokers, no matter how much fake coughing they do at the mere sight of a cigarette, it's the smell once the residue settles on things like your clothes, or your hair, or the furniture. That's when it really stinks.
Fake coughing?

I guarantee when I cough at a cigarette, I'm not fake coughing. It's the smell. It's the residue. It's the coughing. Especially if you have any sort of asthma or chest cold.

I honestly wouldn't have nearly the problem I do with smokers if they could just practice a little common decency when lighting up.

People fake cough because you're being inconsiderate.
I have two dogs. Pomeranians. Dumbest dogs I've ever had in my life. They'll pee right in front me. They totally ruined my hardwood floors in my last house. When I went to sell it, I tore up all the wall to wall carpet and the floors were just a mess. Way beyond refinishing. I mean these floor were ruined to the point that replacing them was really the only option. I cleaned them up as best I could and hoped it wouldn't affect the selling price too much. Then, because I am a chain smoker, I paid $2000 to have the entire interior of the house painted.

Nobody cared about the floors. All they cared about was the smell of smoke. I've always known that fanatical anti-smokers only care about the smell, but I was really shocked that they cared more about that than they cared about thousands of dollars worth of ruined hardwood floors. The fact that I was a smoker was the biggest problem I had selling my house. It's crazy.
Because you CAN replace the hard wood floors. Your smoking permeated the deepest darkest parts of your house, for the new buyer to enjoy for years to come.

If I knew you smoked inside the house, I'd never buy it.

Ahhhh .... a product of the propaganda war against cigarettes speaks. We were just laughing at people like you.

Actually, I smoke, but I would never smoke in a closed car, with or without my son. I don't smoke in front of my son at all because I don't want him to think it's ok he's never seen me with a cigarette) ... plus, I had stopped smoking for the first 6 years of his life and it wasn't an issue so I never felt the need to make it one.

To be truthful, I hate the smell of smoke. I wouldn't want my house to smell of it, woudn't want my car to smell of it and don't want my clothes and hair to smell like it. It doesn't have anything to do with propaganda, it's just not a good smell and it doesn't smell clean.

Your posts are difficult to respond to when you just type in green.

You can't just use an example of discrimination without looking at the cause.

Murderers are discriminated against.

So, yes, it IS important why smokers are discriminated against, and I've yet to hear anyone claim it's because people find it disgusting.

In context, your reason for discrimination is irrelevant. "Why" is a separate subject. Come on, I expect a little better from you.

You know damn well you don't get arrested for public intoxication. You get arrested for being an ass while drunk and they call it public intoxication. You're not being discriminated against for being intoxicated; you're being discriminated against for being an ass. They have a field day at spring break because there are a ton of assholes. About the only area that I might agree with your strained comparison is open container laws, but those are no different then public indecency laws.

That is your opinion. The fact is the law, as decided upon by society's government representatives discriminates against people who use alcohol.
No. It doesn't. I can have alcohol if I want and do whatever I want. It discriminates against people who use alcohol "to an excess"

You wanna argue about what constitutes "excess" fine. But people who consume a glass of wine or a couple beers are not discriminated against. Give it up.

Your claim that anyone who gambles is an addict is absurd. Unless you're severely restricting what constitutes gambling. March Madness? Poker games? Office pools? All gambling.

I was wondering if you were ever going to go literalist on me. It's a gamble stepping out of bed in the morning if you want to look at it that way.

However, in context, people who are not addicted to gambling wouldn't do it. What would be the point if it doesn't fulfill some "need" (spelled: addiction)?
Literalist? What's gambling? Slot machines? Sports betting? I'm serious. I always thought gamblign meant wagering money or other valuables on some sort of game of chance or sporting event. Yes? If I drop 30 bucks for a March Madness office pool, am I a gambling addict?

Wrong. The irresponsible behavior is a separate charge(s).
If I'm wasted out of my mind, sitting on a park bench, but act as though I'm completely sober, do I get arrested?

Forget what the law says should happen. What about reality?

Smokers shouldn't have to deal with all the whiney arguments that accompany anit-smoker's rants. Noise pollution at its finest. And I find it HILLARIOUS that some fatass, nasty sweaty asshat that's going to die from clogged arteries and a massive coronary LONG before cigarettes kill me is ALWAYS the one heading up the withhunt. I don't care if you ban cigartees or not, the bitch here isn't going to get lucky in a bar unless they legalize LSD because there damned sure ain't enough alcohol to do it.
Again, the whiney ranting doesn't go home with you if you choose. You CAN'T get the smoke smell off of you until you wash your clothes. I can't CHOOSE to not go home smelling like cig smoke. If I could, it'd be a different story.

Actually, I smoke, but I would never smoke in a closed car, with or without my son. I don't smoke in front of my son at all because I don't want him to think it's ok he's never seen me with a cigarette) ... plus, I had stopped smoking for the first 6 years of his life and it wasn't an issue so I never felt the need to make it one.

To be truthful, I hate the smell of smoke. I wouldn't want my house to smell of it, woudn't want my car to smell of it and don't want my clothes and hair to smell like it. It doesn't have anything to do with propaganda, it's just not a good smell and it doesn't smell clean.

Jillian, forgive me, but you are an IDIOT! Why, on Earth, do you smoke at all? Smoking is a dirty, rotten, filthy habit and if you can go so long between cigarettes that you don't smoke at home, and have never smoked in front of your son, you shouldn't smoke at all. Yikes! If I could go that long without a cigarette I wouldn't smoke either. But I can't.

You know the people who drive me the most nuts? People who only smoke when they go out drinking. My bar days are long behind me now, but I had several co-workers who would do that. They'd only smoke at the bar. I could never understand how anyone could do that. The fact they would bum cigarettes wasn't the part that got to me, it was the fact that they MUST have felt like total shit the next day. I mean, think about it. Can you imagine being hung over AND the effects of smoking all night, too? They must have felt like worse than crap.

Stop smoking, Jillian.

:poke:

Yes, it does. It's a physics thing. And it's visible to the naked eye. I can't explain it in scientific terms, but cracking open a window just a little bit in a moving car makes the smoke get sucked out the window. You can see it happen. But if you open all the windows all the way, it doesn't get sucked out.

Back in my bar days I had a running fued with the bar owner over the cigarette smoke. He was rarely there, but every once in a while he'd show up and the first thing he'd do is prop open the back door of the bar all the way. This was a very small, dive bar, and so when he did that we all froze. He didn't care. It could be 2 degrees outside and he'd be behind the bar so he didn't ge the brunt of it, but those of us sitting at the bar would be freezing.

The thing was that opening the door all the way did nothing to let the smoke out. Again, it's some kind of physics thing. You could actually see it. When the door was closed, and somebody came in the back door, it was like swish! and all the smoke in the air would just be sucked towards the door. We'd leave the door cracked just a little bit, and you could see the smoke in the air move towards it.

It's weird and I can't explain it, but it's true. So smoking in a car, as long as the window is open a little, doesn't harm anybody. Except the smoker, of course.
You're actually correct. It's because of Bernoulli's principle. Here's the physics:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae522.cfm

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

The reason that air sucks out of a bar door when it's cracked more than when it's wide open is because the flow becomes too disturbed when the door is wide open. Having the door cracked manages to maintain the integrity of the flow. And junk. And stuff.

My smoking in the same room as you is annoying. If you're going to outlaw every annoying habit everybody has, nobody could go out in public. I'd really like to outlaw people who whistle. Actually I'd to shoot people who whistle, but I'm a civilized person so I just get away from them as fast as I can.
It's not you smoking that's annoying. I don't give a shit. Just don't make me breathe the smoke or smell like your smoke once I leave wherever I am that you're smoking. :thup:

You're actually correct. It's because of Bernoulli's principle. Here's the physics:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae522.cfm

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

The reason that air sucks out of a bar door when it's cracked more than when it's wide open is because the flow becomes too disturbed when the door is wide open. Having the door cracked manages to maintain the integrity of the flow. And junk. And stuff.

It's not you smoking that's annoying. I don't give a shit. Just don't make me breathe the smoke or smell like your smoke once I leave wherever I am that you're smoking. :thup:

Gee, thanks for the links. I knew it must have some scientific prinicple behind it, and the moving car thing seemed pretty obvious. But the effect stops if you open all the windows all the way, so I figured it had something to do with the equalization of air pressure or something.

The bar thing really drove me nuts, and it's what annoys me most about fanatical anti-smokers. They are just totally immune to facts at all. The bar owner, Mike, just hated smoking. Here's a guy who made part of his living off this bar, which was such a dive that the regulars would be standing outside the bar at 7AM waiting for Bernie, the bartender, to open every day. That's the kind of bar this was.

Before we telephone girls invaded the place during the strike of '89, the regulars were all older men. Mostly retired or getting government checks for some reason. Check day was always a busy day at the bar. I worked 7:30 AM to 4 PM and I used to park my car across the street from the bar and there were many days when I'd see the guys standing around waiting for Bernie to show up.

I tried to show Mike that cracking the door just a little made the smoke leave. But he didn't care. We'd be sitting there, freezing our asses off, with smoke just hanging in the air, and if he'd would have just closed the door for a few minutes and then cracked it open an inch, he wouldn't have smoke in his face and we wouldn't freeze. But he didn't care, he wanted us to freeze. He was a real asshole about it.

Gee, thanks for the links. I knew it must have some scientific prinicple behind it, and the moving car thing seemed pretty obvious. But the effect stops if you open all the windows all the way, so I figured it had something to do with the equalization of air pressure or something.

The bar thing really drove me nuts, and it's what annoys me most about fanatical anti-smokers. They are just totally immune to facts at all. The bar owner, Mike, just hated smoking. Here's a guy who made part of his living off this bar, which was such a dive that the regulars would be standing outside the bar at 7AM waiting for Bernie, the bartender, to open every day. That's the kind of bar this was.

Before we telephone girls invaded the place during the strike of '89, the regulars were all older men. Mostly retired or getting government checks for some reason. Check day was always a busy day at the bar. I worked 7:30 AM to 4 PM and I used to park my car across the street from the bar and there were many days when I'd see the guys standing around waiting for Bernie to show up.

I tried to show Mike that cracking the door just a little made the smoke leave. But he didn't care. We'd be sitting there, freezing our asses off, with smoke just hanging in the air, and if he'd would have just closed the door for a few minutes and then cracked it open an inch, he wouldn't have smoke in his face and we wouldn't freeze. But he didn't care, he wanted us to freeze. He was a real asshole about it.
I guess there's always the possibility that he very well did understand and just left the door open to piss the smokers off. Not saying it's a very smart business decision, but it wouldn't surprise me.

They've been trained via propaganda to go into the nose-pinching routine at the smell. When I was a kid, it didn't bother anyone. All it took was some asshole with an agenda to point out that it should, and that was that. They didn't know it existed until someone pointed out they need to look for it.

And they're so rude, too. That's another thing that kills me whenever a gay rights defender uses smoking as a comparison. I've had people tell me to my face that I stink. Seriously. They actually say that and think nothing of it. "You stink!" and "My God, you stink!"

Can you imagine that? But they think nothing of it when it comes to smokers. Manners go right out the window, and they can be as rude and nasty as they want.

Can you imagine what would happen if I walked up to a Lesbian and said "you're disgusting"?

I guess there's always the possibility that he very well did understand and just left the door open to piss the smokers off. Not saying it's a very smart business decision, but it wouldn't surprise me.

He didn't come in the bar that often. He sold it a few years later, and I had my kid so I eventually stopped going there. It's funny. But after I became a parent, and the few nights I had off when my kid was at my sisters, I much preferred staying home, ordering chinese, and watching a movie.

I don't know about anybody else, but being alone in your own house after you have kids is a real treat.

It's weird and I can't explain it, but it's true. So smoking in a car, as long as the window is open a little, doesn't harm anybody. Except the smoker, of course.

My smoking in the same room as you is annoying. If you're going to outlaw every annoying habit everybody has, nobody could go out in public. I'd really like to outlaw people who whistle. Actually I'd to shoot people who whistle, but I'm a civilized person so I just get away from them as fast as I can.

I disagree..smoking does affect the kid and it is disgusting. There are invisible carcinogins that you can't see. BTW, I smoked for 17 years and NEVER smoked in the car with my kids.

No, smoking in the same room as me affects my health. A whistler is just annoying but has no affect on your physical health.

What propaganda is that? Smoking is healthy for you is it?
came18.17.png

Forum List

Back