Is the term NEGRO offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I have been told it is. However, the term is still used in some organizations, so if it is an offensive word, does this mean UNCF is offensive for using it too? Some blacks have said it is no longer used and can be construed as an insult. Two people I respect told me opposing views...one said it is offensive, the other laughed and said it was not offensive.

So....what does everyone else think? What is your opinion? Since both men have opposing views, for the sake of niceties, I will refrain from ever using the term negro again. But I am still wondering about it. Hence..the question.

Honestly it's really only offensive if used with a tone that's intended to make it offensive. Other black people probably won't agree but It's even on the side of a crayola crayon so how big of a deal could it be? It's not like ******. Research and studies that are made public use it all the time and I don't get pissed. But if someone's who isn't black (not just white people) randomly walks up to me with an attitude and shouts "look here, you fuckin negro" I'm probably going to react irrationally. I've had white friends walk up to me jokingly like "whatup negro" I don't get upset. It's just a joke so why bother. But if they thought it'd be funny to replace 'negro' in that sentence with '******'. Mmmmmmm not so funny. Racial humor kinda eases racial tension if done properly.

Side note: it's a shame I don't remember this, but isn't there a united negros college fund? Or something titled along those lines?

•Pinky•

$ImageUploadedByUSMessageBoard.com1406068346.506600.jpg

Is crayola racist?! I think not. 'Negro' just means black in another language. If black people are okay with the word 'black' they should be okay with the word 'negro'.

•Pinky•

To me it just sounds outdated...similar to colored folks. Maybe in another generation it was accepted by some and/or maybe always offensive to others, but the terms seem to have fallen out of fashion. I'm not easily offended, but I'm also not black...so I don't think my opinion matters much on the topic.

To me it just sounds outdated...similar to colored folks. Maybe in another generation it was accepted by some and/or maybe always offensive to others, but the terms seem to have fallen out of fashion. I'm not easily offended, but I'm also not black...so I don't think my opinion matters much on the topic.

It still counts. Maybe not by experience of being black but it counts nonetheless.

•Pinky•

For starters, I would never walk up to anyone black..friend or not..and say "sup Negro" any more than I would use the N word. But thats me.

And I agree that it depends on HOW it is used. To use it in a disparaging manner..yeah...any word that is innocent can be construed as offensive.

With that said..if someone came up to me..friend or stranger..and said "howzit goin' honky?" i would be peeved. But if someone said "that white woman recommends that cafe"...I would not be offended. Nor would I be offended if someone said something along the lines of "hey white lady..do you know the time?"

Its offensive to me and every other Black person I know. This includes my youngest daughter. Its similar to the N word as far as I am concerned. Its outdated as well. If you notice those organizations you mentioned were named way back in the day. Black people have stopped accepting labels imposed on them by other people. I thought everyone had gotten the notice. What is a Negro anyway? There is no country nor continent named Negro. The correct term is Black or African American. If in doubt simply ask. Regardless of how you feel about it or the rationale as to why you think you should be able to use it, don't unless you want to offend someone. Its really that simple.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/census-bureau-will-drop-the-word-negro-from-its-forms/

After more than a century, the Census Bureau is dropping its use of the word "Negro" to describe black Americans in surveys.

Instead of the term that came into use during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation, census forms will use the more modern labels "black" or "African-American".

Last edited:
"Negro" is the correct anthropological term for people of the negroid race and is the polite term used to refer to negroids.

"black" isn't a race. "african american" isn't a race... "africa" has nothing to do with negroes in america anyway and most of them have never been there.

"Negro" is a valid choice for race on the last..and all previous U.S. Census reports...as well as every government document for hundreds of years.

Then there's the "united negro college fund". Hard to get around that.

the negro plagiarist martin luther king used the word 30 or so times in his (plagiarized) "i have a dream" speech.
If it's good enough for the negro plagiarist, it's good enough for me.

Only since the perpetually aggrieved protected class learned they can manipulate white people by being "offended" by this word or that word has this nonsense been pushed.

Negro is a term used by racists because if the say ******, they out themselves. It is a code word for the SJ's and Rotagilla's of the world...and is sort of a secret handshake among racists...if you will.

View attachment 30814

Is crayola racist?! I think not. 'Negro' just means black in another language. If black people are okay with the word 'black' they should be okay with the word 'negro'.

•Pinky•

In that case, it is describing an inanimate object...it is not making a social statement or describing anyone. It is simply Spanish for black and an easy way to satisfy the growing non-English speaking population in the US.

"Negro" is the correct anthropological term for people of the negroid race and is the polite term used to refer to negroids.

"black" isn't a race. "african american" isn't a race... "africa" has nothing to do with negroes in america anyway and most of them have never been there.

"Negro" is a valid choice for race on the last..and all previous U.S. Census reports...as well as every government document for hundreds of years.

Then there's the "united negro college fund". Hard to get around that.

the negro plagiarist martin luther king used the word 30 or so times in his (plagiarized) "i have a dream" speech.
If it's good enough for the negro plagiarist, it's good enough for me.

Only since the perpetually aggrieved protected class learned they can manipulate white people by being "offended" by this word or that word has this nonsense been pushed.

Hey retard. No one said Black or African-American was a race. To further illustrate your ignorance. Negro means black so thanks for agreeing with me. If Black does not mean race then neither does negro.

Negro may or may not be an offensive term. I don't know.

But ****** is definitely an offensive term. It's extremely offensive and defines people as subhuman.

Thus [MENTION=49283]Rotagilla[/MENTION] is most certainly a ******

No..that's not what the word means...

negroes and anti whites think they can just make up definitions for words or decide which words they will be offended by. It's quite comical.

As far as calling me names?..LMAO...you're projecting.

No harm done to me...but very revealing about you.

I wonder if Gracie will start yet ANOTHER thread on this!

So if Negro means black, why is negro offensive and black is not?

It has already been explained to you. It is an old, out dated term that is used by racists as a code word for ******. It really is that simple.

Because Black people came up with the term Black during the Black power movement. White people came up with Negro as I pointed out during Jim Crow. Its all about not accepting white labels. I for one am done with that.

Why do Caucasians from western Eurasia call themselves white?

Last edited:
Maybe this is a good rule? If the group it is aimed at considers it offensive and doesn't use it to describe themselves within the group, then it is offensive.

Negro may or may not be an offensive term. I don't know.

But ****** is definitely an offensive term. It's extremely offensive and defines people as subhuman.

Thus [MENTION=49283]Rotagilla[/MENTION] is most certainly a ******

No..that's not what the word means...

negroes and anti whites think they can just make up definitions for words or decide which words they will be offended by. It's quite comical.

As far as calling me names?..LMAO...you're projecting.

No harm done to me...but very revealing about you.

Fuck off ******

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back