Is the next Great Awakening at hand?

How about just good old fashioned morals?

Such as? I am an atheist and consider myself a very "moral" person.

Exactly!!!!! Who ever said you have to be religious to be moral?

Morals are tied to ones character.

Plus, if you dont believe in "a" God, then what does it hurt if others do?

Just live your life in a matter that doesnt hurt anyone else and we can all get along just fine.

The problems begin when we force our beliefs on others..... and I dont remember the last time I was told by my gov't what god to serve.

Another thing... what in the Hell does the 10 Comandments do to atheists that is harmful?
Its just a set of rules for us to live our lives by.

The first 4 commandments dont apply to you if you dont believe in "a" god.... so where is the problem?

Ehhh.... nevermind.... not worth the arguement :doubt:

Throwing away the first 3 Commandments?

You cherry pick your religion and Bible, don't you?

Another thing... what in the Hell does the 10 Comandments do to atheists that is harmful?

They are harmful because they are xtian "rules" and only belong in a CHURCH. Don't you get it??? They are a major tenet of xtian dogma, hence should not be allowed in the public sector. Period. No matter what they say. Would you be ok with the Islamic "10 commandments" placed at a town hall against your will? No, you wouldn't. We feel that the encroachment of ALL regligious dogma in our political sphere is destructive and can lead to a theocracy/police state.

The ignorance here about what happened during the Great Awakening's is astounding. There was no witch burning. There was no inquisition. People simply woke to their desire and duty as individuals to serve God and engaged in said service.

Individual accountability before God is key to a strong society.

They are harmful because they are xtian "rules" and only belong in a CHURCH. Don't you get it??? They are a major tenet of xtian dogma, hence should not be allowed in the public sector. Period. No matter what they say. Would you be ok with the Islamic "10 commandments" placed at a town hall against your will? No, you wouldn't. We feel that the encroachment of ALL regligious dogma in our political sphere is destructive and can lead to a theocracy/police state.

Now, could you please explain to all Jews how the Ten Commandments are Christian and belong to a Church?

Actually, I thought god wanted you guys to feed and clothe the poor, destroy the money changers and that the meek shall inherit the earth. Anytime I hear a conservative mouthing off about "personal responsibility" I know that translates into a rationalization for greed and selfishness. How do you reconcile "faith" and "spirit" of the conservative ideal that is pro-greed w/ the beatitudes in Matthew and Luke? Or do you just leave those out?

Last edited:
Now, could you please explain to all Jews how the Ten Commandments are Christian and belong to a Church?

Christian, Jewish whatever. They only belong in church or temple, synagogue or whatever. You know exactly what I meant.

Nope, I was asking what or how they hurt anyone….. the basic morals they bring.

You know like, thou shll not kill…. Don’t covet your neighbors wife…. Obey your parents…. Yada yada yada….

ISLAM HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOUNDING OF THIS GREAT NATION!!!!
You idiot…!!! Islamic laws kill people! (i.e. stoning a woman for "alledged" adultery)

Get your head out of your ass!

This is exactly why I wont argue with you about it…. You’re a lost cause.

You idiot…!!! Islamic laws kill people! (i.e. stoning a woman for "alledged" adultery)

You don't get it. I am highlighting why you putting the ten commandments in front of the courthouse is seen as just as dangerous to me as someone putting the islamic "10 commandments" would be for you. I am pointing out that NO "10 commandments" of ANY religion should be displayed in the public sector... unless you are going to include all of them, that is.

Nope, I was asking what or how they hurt anyone….. the basic morals they bring.

You know like, thou shll not kill…. Don’t covet your neighbors wife…. Obey your parents…. Yada yada yada….

This is exactly why I wont argue with you about it…. You’re a lost cause.
Have you read the Koran? I doubt it.
The Old Testament is certainly violent to the extreme. I assume you read that.
How do you feel about what the Inquisition did in the name of Christianity? The horrors they committed against Islam and others, would have been unimaginable to Jesus.

Actually, I thought god wanted you guys to feed and clothe the poor, destroy the money changers and that the meek shall inherit the earth. Anytime I hear a conservative mouthing off about "personal responsibility" I know that translates into a rationalization for greed and selfishness. How do you reconcile "faith" and "spirit" of the conservative ideal that is pro-greed w/ the beatitudes in Matthew and Luke? Or do you just leave those out?

Then you clearly don't know what individual accountability is.

God does want us to feed and cloth the poor. He wants us to do it. He isn't asking us to outsource it to the Federal Government, or even the local government. He wants us to get up off our lazy butts and help the poor, to lift the downtrodden, to mourn with those who mourn and comfort those in need of comfort.

People need freedom to choose both good and evil because if you can't choose one, you can't choose the other.

Christian, Jewish whatever. They only belong in church or temple, synagogue or whatever. You know exactly what I meant.

Apparently I'm supposed to be a mind reader now? Unfortunately, God hasn't seen fit to grant me that ability yet. Though maybe someday I'll have the Spirit of discernment to a strong enough degree to know what others are thinking when it's necessary.

The Ten Commandments are Laws. It seems very appropriate for laws to be in courthouses. Don't you think?

You don't get it. I am highlighting why you putting the ten commandments in front of the courthouse is seen as just as dangerous to me as someone putting the islamic "10 commandments" would be for you. I am pointing out that NO "10 commandments" of ANY religion should be displayed in the public sector... unless you are going to include all of them, that is.

Could you name the Islamic Ten commandments. Because I am pretty sure they are exactly identical to everyone else's. Particularly because they get the Ten commandments from the same exact source.

Could you name the Islamic Ten commandments. Because I am pretty sure they are exactly identical to everyone else's. Particularly because they get the Ten commandments from the same exact source.

No, I don't even know if Islam has a ten commandments. I was just using that as an example... you can replace it with any religious dogma/symbol that you want. None of which should be in the public sector. That is the point.

The Ten Commandments are Laws. It seems very appropriate for laws to be in courthouses. Don't you think?

That's a very broad criteria to have something in a courthouse. Should we have Roman laws as well in them? They are laws too, made with a legislative system that we derived ours from. Perhaps we should also add Hindu, or even Islamic law. Fair is fair.

That's a very broad criteria to have something in a courthouse. Should we have Roman laws as well in them? They are laws too, made with a legislative system that we derived ours from. Perhaps we should also add Hindu, or even Islamic law. Fair is fair.

Are they the basis of law in our civilization? Then yes.

Shit like that is what happens when you replace God with Mammon. Interestingly enough, Mr. Peepers seems to have a better idea about what God wanted us to do than most Christians.

Wanna know why Yeshua stated "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven"?

Simple.............if your attention is on how much you have and how much you are responsible for yourself then you quit looking around you and miss out on your fellow man, some are there to help and some are there for US to help.

Remember......happiness is like a perfume, that as you spray it on others, you can't help but get a little on yourself.

Wanna know why rich people are so unhappy and need pills to sleep? They are shutting themselves off from others and don't get the happy feeling of being altruistic.

That is also why Greed is the leader of the 7 Deadly Sins.

Forum List

Back