Is the next Great Awakening at hand?

When was the first awakening? I must have slept through it.

Great Awakening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Great Awakening was a religious revival in American religious history. There were three--some say four--such periods of fervor, each characterized by widespread revivals led by evangelical Protestant ministers, a sharp increase in interest in religion, a profound sense of conviction and redemption on the part of those affected, a jump in evangelical church membership, and the formation of new religious movements and denominations. After a generation or so, the fervor calmed and faded away

For some reason I'm willing to bet all of these Christians who want their faith taught in school don't want equal opportunity time for Islam. Nor would they want Sharia Law as apart of our law. :eusa_whistle:

That wouldn't be conserving the American tradition would it?

For some reason I'm willing to bet all of these Christians who want their faith taught in school don't want equal opportunity time for Islam. Nor would they want Sharia Law as apart of our law. :eusa_whistle:

Poll for atheists-----which religious law would you prefer to live under?

That wouldn't be conserving the American tradition would it?

Are you sure it's conservation you're after and not preservation?

What I was after was a play on words.

In my opinion, good things after after great awakenings. The First Brought the American Revolution. The Second the Restoration.

And I think it's about time for us to have the Spirit change our lives. We need to awaken to the world we live in. We need to be able to take responsibility for ourselves and that only happens when we are aware of who we are and can see what's going on around us.

I'll take None of the above. Why does law have to be religious based?

None. Religion has no place in our laws. Period. Laws should be logical, just and fair with no one ideology attached, as in the practice of secular humanism.

In my opinion, good things after after great awakenings. The First Brought the American Revolution. The Second the Restoration.

And I think it's about time for us to have the Spirit change our lives. We need to awaken to the world we live in. We need to be able to take responsibility for ourselves and that only happens when we are aware of who we are and can see what's going on around us.

What does an American evangelical movement have to do with putting the French kings on their throne again?

I take it you're referring to the god, money? That is the only thing "conservatives" worship. We can totally see what is going on around us. It's the corporatist sheep that do not get it.

I'll take None of the above. Why does law have to be religious based?

How about just good old fashioned morals?

School aims to re-teach civics with focus on faith - Yahoo! News

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – Call it vacation Bible school, Glenn Beck-style.

Some three dozen kids ages 10 to 15 are spending five nights this week learning what organizers — some with tea party ties — say they won't hear in school about the Constitution, the founding fathers and the role of faith in the birth of the United States.

"If we're going to take our country back, we've got to remember where we came from — not only as adults, but we need to teach our children," said Tim Fairfield, one of the teachers, who wore a three-cornered hat at the opening class of Vacation Liberty School. It's held in a church basement in Georgetown, a city just north of Lexington that is the site of a major Toyota assembly plant.

The curriculum includes lessons like "equal rights, not equal results," "recognize men don't create rights — only God," and "understanding falsehoods of separation of church and state."

And organizers say the program has drawn interest from people looking to start new chapters in Ohio, Colorado, New York, Florida and other communities in Kentucky.

It's is an offshoot of the 9/12 Project, inspired by Beck, the conservative commentator, who had no direct role in the planning of the Kentucky school. Beck declined comment.

The project, which seeks to unify Americans around nine values — including honesty, hope and sincerity — and 12 principles, was behind some of the raucous protests at health care forums around the country last summer.

fear.gif

Anyone remember a couple of years back with Ted Haggard and "Jesus Camp"? The freaking thing was ran like an Islamic madrassa, looks like Glen Beck has decided to go that route and see if he could work it.

Wonder if there's gonna be a gay meth hooker in this one?

As far as living a good "moral" life? Whose morals and from which religion? Morals are values and ideals that are adopted by the group and enforced on the individuals. Need an example? Look at the Puritans, and then check out some of the "religions" that exist today.

As far as conservatives having "good morals"? I kinda don't think so......Greed is one of the 7 Deadly Sins........

Can we instead have a reverse inquisition and just get rid of all the religious hoo-ha for good? It is without question the bane of mankind. ***I'm going to catch some shite for this one***

How about just good old fashioned morals?

Such as? I am an atheist and consider myself a very "moral" person.

Exactly!!!!! Who ever said you have to be religious to be moral?

Morals are tied to ones character.

Plus, if you dont believe in "a" God, then what does it hurt if others do?

Just live your life in a matter that doesnt hurt anyone else and we can all get along just fine.

The problems begin when we force our beliefs on others..... and I dont remember the last time I was told by my gov't what god to serve.

Another thing... what in the Hell does the 10 Comandments do to atheists that is harmful?
Its just a set of rules for us to live our lives by.

The first 4 commandments dont apply to you if you dont believe in "a" god.... so where is the problem?

Ehhh.... nevermind.... not worth the arguement :doubt:

Can we instead have a reverse inquisition and just get rid of all the religious hoo-ha for good? It is without question the bane of mankind. ***I'm going to catch some shite for this one***

Would be nice because my personal belief is that religion is kinda like grade school for spirituality, which is to say that it is supposed to forge a link between yourself and God.

Only trouble is, most religions say that their link is the only way to God, and they try to disavow everyone else.

Well........news flash for everyone, what works for one person may not work very well for another. My example of this is choosing a career in the military that led to retirement, it's not for everyone, but for me it was GREAT!

Same with religion. Find something that can connect you into whatever your Higher Power happens to be for yourself, and DON'T think that you know how God talks to another person, because you don't live in their skull.

Personally? I just try to be decent to those that I meet, and if their views aren't the same as mine, if they are polite, I will take time to listen to theirs if they will listen to mine.

Why? That's how a person finds common ground with another, by sharing and not denigrating the views of another.

Religion tends to divide people because each church is trying to be "purer" than the other.

That's like asking if you'd rather have cancer in your left nut or your right nut.

Forum List

Back