Is The Cost of College Worth Debt?

Good read. I am happy I pay cash for my tuition. (Yes, I earned it myself.)

I recently read that too many ppl are in institutions of higher learning as 40% of them, drop out! :eek:

Snip:

It is estimated that 40% of college students will leave higher education without getting a degree, with 75% percent of these students leaving within their first two years of college.
Freshman class attrition rates are typically greater than any other academic year and are commonly as high as 20-30%. These statistics show a need for colleges to do something about retention rates.

Read more: College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog http://www.stateuniversity.com/blog...-Out-Rates-Who-s-to-Blame-.html#ixzz0wACYzlAI

More interesting stats:

http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-dropping-out

Last edited:
I have 3 Family members that have graduated over the past 2 years with nearly $100K student loan debt each. Not one of them has a full time job paying $9 per hour or more.

let me guess, one has a degree in fashion. the other has a degree in cosmetics, and the other...possibly a degree in women's studies? lol

The 23 year old step niece has a degree in Marketing & has applied at about 100 places landed a job as a Macy's sales woman. Just this week got promoted to full time making $8.80

The 25 year old cousin has a Solid Works Computer Aided Drafting & Design degree. Has had 2 jobs at business that went under where he achieved $8.95hr but is now temp working on a farm for $9.00 hr

The 22 year old niece has a Business degree & made $9.00hr working in a nursing home. Now pregnant & unemployed.

I have a 18 year old niece who just graduated H.S. with honors. She is starting college to be a Veterinarian for large animals. 5 states currently have a shortage of vets & are willing to pay for her education. Hopefully she will be a success.

damn well good luck to them, i apologize for my presumptions.

I recently read that too many ppl are in institutions of higher learning as 40% of them, drop out! :eek:

Snip:

It is estimated that 40% of college students will leave higher education without getting a degree, with 75% percent of these students leaving within their first two years of college.
Freshman class attrition rates are typically greater than any other academic year and are commonly as high as 20-30%. These statistics show a need for colleges to do something about retention rates.

Read more: College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog

More interesting stats:

11 Facts about Dropping Out | Do Something

ill be 24 soon so i can finally get aid. fafsa is such bullshit, i have lived on my own since i graduated high school, talk to my parents like once every couple months, and the government lables me as "dependent" and doesnt give me aid without putting in my parents tax info? major crock of shit.

Snip:

Read more: College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog

More interesting stats:

11 Facts about Dropping Out | Do Something

ill be 24 soon so i can finally get aid. fafsa is such bullshit, i have lived on my own since i graduated high school, talk to my parents like once every couple months, and the government lables me as "dependent" and doesnt give me aid without putting in my parents tax info? major crock of shit.

You could join the army?

there has always been a high drop out rate in college.
if you can't pay cash make loans

In a society where government is predicated upon the informed consent of the governed, college education should be freely and universally available to all.

In a society where government is predicated upon the informed consent of the governed, college education should be freely and universally available to all.

Thats what High School is for.

Thought you'd like that.

Still, if you take a good look (and listen) around, it seems HS isn't quite doing the job.

Stupid cannot be cured.

You could keep people in Public School until the were 65 and it wouldn't make a difference

we could slash mic spending and put it in free college for the bottom half of incomes.

Screw college, be a plumber.

That's right, graduate high school and get yourself an apprentice job. Work your way up and eventually start your own shop.

The work might be digusting at times but it pays well, and not nearly as disgusting as sitting on your ass all day in a cubicle staring at a damn computer screen and dealing with office politics.

And as an added benefit, you'll never be outsourced.

Thats what High School is for.

Thought you'd like that.

Still, if you take a good look (and listen) around, it seems HS isn't quite doing the job.

Stupid cannot be cured.

You could keep people in Public School until the were 65 and it wouldn't make a difference

For some, the stupid by choice and the disinterested, I agree. But the fact remains that there is a major waste of true talent because those who are unable to pay and / or are afraid of the debt they'd incur don't fully develop that talent.

Thought you'd like that.

Stupid cannot be cured.

For some, the stupid by choice and the disinterested, I agree. But the fact remains that there is a major waste of true talent because those who are unable to pay and / or are afraid of the debt they'd incur don't fully develop that talent.

GI Bill.

Screw college, be a plumber.

That's right, graduate high school and get yourself an apprentice job. Work your way up and eventually start your own shop.

The work might be digusting at times but it pays well, and not nearly as disgusting as sitting on your ass all day in a cubicle staring at a damn computer screen and dealing with office politics.

And as an added benefit, you'll never be outsourced.

:clap2::clap2:

How do you get an "apprentice job?"

Stupid cannot be cured.

GI Bill.

So...if they live, they get a shot at life/ Whatta DEAL! :doubt::doubt:

GI Bill.

So...if they live, they get a shot at life/ Whatta DEAL! :doubt::doubt:

Well, if we had a CCC then I would have suggested it, but effectively, the Army IS a "Conservation Corps." The % of Military Combat Jobs is actually very small, and the % casulties within those jobs is also small. If you wanna learn how to cook, and you want money for college, the Army is a pretty safe option.

One can obtain a degree without going into debt.

It might take a little longer but it can be done.

The idea that a bunch of 18-22 year olds have to go to school full time on mommy and daddy's dime is pure bullshit.

When you're 18 get out of Mommy's house, get a fucking job and take one or two night courses all year round. You'll have a BS in 5 years.

Or get the fuck out of Mommy's house, get a fucking job, get training in a specific skill then continue your education.

Or you can go to the fucking free library study all the basic required course material for the first couple years of any degree program and then take the CLEPs. That way you're only paying tuition for the last two years of study.

Forum List

Back