Is promoting human life against American law?

yes....the abortion issue always gets the leftie base riled up....Obama is a scumbag extraordinaire...

if the idea to not kill is considered "religious"......then i would say the idea to kill is also "religious" in nature....it is the leftie "religion"....

a person's individual "choice" should not be paid for by the opposite believer....i certainly do not see how Roe v Wade translates into paying for another's abortion....

Your ignorance is so comprehensive it’s difficult to know where to start.

I’ll just cite some facts and you can research them if you wish.

• There is a Constitutional right to privacy, not abortion. Laws attempting to ban abortion violate that right and the fundamental right to procreate, or not.
  • Banning abortion is no ‘solution’ to the problem.
  • Federal funding may not be used to pay for abortions, it’s been that way for almost 30 years.

Sure seems that way....Obama wants to dictate and force the Catholic Church to kill (via providing contraception, abortion, sterilization, etc.) in order to preserve the "separation of church and state"....so says Al Sharpton today...

Sharpton: Obama needs to dictate to the Catholic Church to maintain separation of church and state, or something « Hot Air

2-06-12

Someone has a very confused idea about the separation of church and state, and surprisingly, it’s the Reverend in this Morning Joe panel today. Working off of Peggy Noonan’s Wall Street Journal column from Saturday, Al Sharpton argues that Barack Obama had to dictate to the Catholic Church to violate its religious tenets in order to … preserve the separation of church and state?

Rev. Al Sharpton: No, I think you have to have the reverse argument, and that is if I want to seek employment and have employment in a church but that I disagree with the dogma and theology of the church, do I have the right to be protected by law? And I think that what the Obama administration is saying that you do not have to follow the tenets of a church organization to be an employee of a church.

Scarborough: Do you think this is a good decision?

Sharpton: If we are going to have a separation of church and state, we’re going to have a separation of church and state. Whether I would personally agree with the decision or not, the question is do I have a right to make that law?

This is an absurd perversion of the concept of separation of church and state. When Thomas Jefferson wrote that (it’s not found in American law), he meant that the church should not dictate to the State on law — and that the state should not dictate to the church on doctrine. Jefferson wanted to avoid establishing a state religion run by Parliament that had the power to manipulate the spiritual for the sake of the secular. That is exactly what Obama proposes to do in this case: dictate to the Catholic Church and its organizations that its doctrine on contraception, abortion, and sterilization are incorrect and force them to fund those practices that violate their most deeply held beliefs on the sanctity of life, all to satisfy Obama’s political needs.

Get your religion out of my government.

You DON'T pay for abortions. No federal funds are allowed to be paid out for that, it's completely paid for by the patient themselves.

Not so.

Why do you think it is called "employer provided health insurance"?

It is because the employer pays a significant portion (most) of the premiums. You could not afford the full cost of your employer provided health insurance.

So that means if a woman gets an abortion through her insurance, her employer is paying at least part of the cost. And if her employer is the Catholic Church, then the Church is being forced to pay for abortions.

Last edited:
a person's individual "choice" should not be paid for by the opposite believer....i certainly do not see how Roe v Wade translates into paying for another's abortion....

Nor do I. This is also another reason why we need to move this country away from employer-provided health insurance. That was a huge mistake started by labor unions.

Now ObamaCare is forcing employers to offer health insurance or pay a fine, thus embedding the mistake deeper. Not only that, Obama raised the tax-exempt ceiling for Cadillac plans to $27,000 when the Democratic Congress had set it around $18,000. A gigantically obvious sop to labor unions.

Perhaps the Church should stop offering health insurance altogether and just pay the fine. It is actually cheaper to do so.

employer insurance was also as a way to attract good employees....at some point i guess it was an expected benefit of all the bigger companies...

but as Ron Paul says....before that people paid for their own medical care and nobody was out in the streets.....of course charities like the Catholic Church helped those in dire need...

we need to get health care back on the individual track...eliminate all the "in-between guys" like employers, unions, insurance companies (except for catastrophic), government, etc.

Last edited:
You take federal money, you can't bitch when the federal government tells you what rules you must follow to continue to get that money.

This is what happens when you invite the devil into your house.

The federal funding that the Catholic Church gets does not match the costs. In healthcare alone, the Church contributes $5.7 billion. Enjoy meeting those costs without our help. One in every six Americans requiring hospital treatment in this country is treated in a Catholic Hospitals. Many of those hospitals serve America's most vulnerable and poor.

Why is that?

Why are y'all happy to take our money but not allow us to practice our religion? Why do you not support the First Amendment?

You take federal money, you can't bitch when the federal government tells you what rules you must follow to continue to get that money.

This is what happens when you invite the devil into your house.

where do you think federal money comes from anyway.......? from just abortionists.....? let me clue you in....lots of it comes from Catholics who pay taxes....

now please show me the law that says promoting life is against the law....

This is about the Church. Does the Church pay taxes? No. Do the hospitals which are the actual subject of this legislation pay taxes? No.

But they do not hesitate to accept federal dollars.

You realize what you will force to happen right? Catholic Institutions like hospitals will simply stop serving Non Catholics, refuse Government funds like medicare and medicaid and take themselves out of emergency room availability.

Is that REALLY what you want?

So that means if a woman gets an abortion through her insurance, her employer is paying at least part of the cost. And if her employer is the Catholic Church, then the Church is being forced to pay for abortions.

The Church itself is exempt from these regulations and they don't require plans to cover abortions.

Individual Catholics use birth control but suddenly they're against it?

Not to mention, these Catholic hospitals' pharmacies all carried birth control before. Why are they screaming about it now?

Because its President Obama.

When they stop taking federal money and when they pay taxes, I might feel a bit more charitable about them.

Naw.

Until they care as much about children as they do fetuses, they're just not on my radar. I really don't care what their pretending to be in a dither about.

The Church itself is exempt from these regulations and they don't require plans to cover abortions.

But our hospitals, our schools, and a huge variety of other services that we provide are not exempt. You really want to pick up the tab for the millions of Americans that we help without asking you for money? Huh?

Get your government out of my religion.

I agree 100 percent. That is the plan. I believe the left will not be satisfied until we have universal healthcare.

Another topic on this subject expressed the belief that this move by Obama was a stupid one. I think it was the opposite of stupid. It is politically brilliant.

Obama has lost a lot of street cred with the left. Because of the economic meltdown underway when he entered office he has been unable to implement his most progressive plans. It is very telling that his first big push was to create an entirely new entitlement program (ObamaCare). Just imagine what he would be doing if his hands weren't tied by an economy that is barely breathing.

Because he has not been the progressive messiah the left thought he would be, Obama needs to burnish his liberal credentials this year if he is to motivate the left to get out the vote so he can win re-election. And since he is never going to get the pro-life vote anyway, he has nothing to lose by pissing them off and everything to gain from the pro-choice, pro-government faction.

yes....the abortion issue always gets the leftie base riled up....Obama is a scumbag extraordinaire...

if the idea to not kill is considered "religious"......then i would say the idea to kill is also "religious" in nature....it is the leftie "religion"....

You DON'T pay for abortions. No federal funds are allowed to be paid out for that, it's completely paid for by the patient themselves.

Birth control on the other hand IS funded and given away for free.

But..........birth control via the pill, IUD, hormone therapy, etc. is not the same thing as an abortion.

birth control is against Catholic teachings.....this WOULD be funded by Catholics if Obama has his way....

abortion is covered by 85% of most private plans.....and there is lots of pressure to make Obamacare cover them as well....it's just a matter of time....

• There is a Constitutional right to privacy, not abortion. Laws attempting to ban abortion violate that right and the fundamental right to procreate, or not.
  • Federal funding may not be used to pay for abortions, it’s been that way for almost 30 years.

it's just a matter of time if we get national health care....

Sure seems that way....Obama wants to dictate and force the Catholic Church to kill (via providing contraception, abortion, sterilization, etc.) in order to preserve the "separation of church and state"....so says Al Sharpton today...

Sharpton: Obama needs to dictate to the Catholic Church to maintain separation of church and state, or something « Hot Air

2-06-12

Someone has a very confused idea about the separation of church and state, and surprisingly, it’s the Reverend in this Morning Joe panel today. Working off of Peggy Noonan’s Wall Street Journal column from Saturday, Al Sharpton argues that Barack Obama had to dictate to the Catholic Church to violate its religious tenets in order to … preserve the separation of church and state?

Rev. Al Sharpton: No, I think you have to have the reverse argument, and that is if I want to seek employment and have employment in a church but that I disagree with the dogma and theology of the church, do I have the right to be protected by law? And I think that what the Obama administration is saying that you do not have to follow the tenets of a church organization to be an employee of a church.

Scarborough: Do you think this is a good decision?

Sharpton: If we are going to have a separation of church and state, we’re going to have a separation of church and state. Whether I would personally agree with the decision or not, the question is do I have a right to make that law?

This is an absurd perversion of the concept of separation of church and state. When Thomas Jefferson wrote that (it’s not found in American law), he meant that the church should not dictate to the State on law — and that the state should not dictate to the church on doctrine. Jefferson wanted to avoid establishing a state religion run by Parliament that had the power to manipulate the spiritual for the sake of the secular. That is exactly what Obama proposes to do in this case: dictate to the Catholic Church and its organizations that its doctrine on contraception, abortion, and sterilization are incorrect and force them to fund those practices that violate their most deeply held beliefs on the sanctity of life, all to satisfy Obama’s political needs.

Get your religion out of my government.

get your government out of my religion....

Individual Catholics use birth control but suddenly they're against it?

Not to mention, these Catholic hospitals' pharmacies all carried birth control before. Why are they screaming about it now?

Because its President Obama.

When they stop taking federal money and when they pay taxes, I might feel a bit more charitable about them.

Naw.

Until they care as much about children as they do fetuses, they're just not on my radar. I really don't care what their pretending to be in a dither about.

you're damn right it's about Obama and his ilk.....it's a significant step toward ultimate control of a Christian organization....

ps....if you think the Catholic Church does not care about children you need to do some research....you could start with their adoption services that are now becoming defunct in the U.S. because lefties require the Church accept homosexuals as parents....

Last edited:
Republicans promote human life.

But they promote human suffering even more.

Get your government out of my religion.

Do you use contraception?

Not your business. I live my life, you live yours. Just get your fucking government out of my religion. We have First Amendment Rights. If your First Amendment Rights were under attack, I would fight for you. Pity that you are too selfish to do likewise for me.

I'll be damned. I actually agree with one of CG's posts.

I would add, "Get your religion out of my government, AND out of my life".

Point 1 Many believe the fundamental right to life trumps all,how do we settle that point?

point 2 So there is a problem,but you don't know the solution??

point 3 as it should be

Do you use contraception?

Not your business. I live my life, you live yours. Just get your fucking government out of my religion. We have First Amendment Rights. If your First Amendment Rights were under attack, I would fight for you. Pity that you are too selfish to do likewise for me.

I'll be damned. I actually agree with one of CG's posts.

I would add, "Get your religion out of my government, AND out of my life".

My religion isn't in your government, or your life... unless of course you need treatment at one of our 625 Hospitals across this country. We'll happily treat you, and if you were uninsured, we'd even pay for it.

No need to thank us. It's our Christian duty.

Forum List

Back