Is Polygamy The Next Gay Marriage?

It is inevitable. There is no reason whatsoever why, if homosexuality is to be protected / recognized by law, that consenting adults (emphasis on adults) shouldnt be allowed to engage in polygamous relationships. None

Silly

There is no valid reason that a Daughter with a child with severe medical needs should not marry her Mother so the child can be put on the Grandmothers health insurance policy.

And I'm still waiting for that link.

The valid reason is that incest is illegal. Homosexuality is not

So, since gay marriage is / was illegal, then that is a valid reason to keep it illegal?

Your flawed logic is showing.

Actually, yes

There was a time when homosexuality was illegal. That, in itself would have negated gay marriage

So no reason to keep incest illegal?

What?

Procreation?

It has been demonstrated that incestuous relationships harm society and create deformed offspring. Society can demonstrate specific reasons to ban it

You have failed to demonstrate any way that gay relationships harm society.....other than you hate fags

Marriage between a child and parent doesn't imply sex, it implies love.

Secondly, in the example given the daughter was marrying the mother, so no procreation between the two is impossible. Why can't they get married? You're a h8er!!!111!!!

Did anyone tell you who to marry?
What business is it of yours?

The valid reason is that incest is illegal. Homosexuality is not

So, since gay marriage is / was illegal, then that is a valid reason to keep it illegal?

Actually, yes

There was a time when homosexuality was illegal. That, in itself would have negated gay marriage

What?

Procreation?

It has been demonstrated that incestuous relationships harm society and create deformed offspring. Society can demonstrate specific reasons to ban it

You have failed to demonstrate any way that gay relationships harm society.....other than you hate fags

Hey Rightwinger, my example was a Mother/Daughter. Please demonstrate how the two of them could create an offspring DEFORMED OR OTHERWISE

Quit the deflection

Besides, it is Your sides argument that procreation should not be an issue in marriage.

It is inevitable. There is no reason whatsoever why, if homosexuality is to be protected / recognized by law, that consenting adults (emphasis on adults) shouldnt be allowed to engage in polygamous relationships. None
Whether or not homosexuality and same-sex marriage is protected or recognized by law has no bearing on whether or not polygamy should be legal. It may be that both should be legal, both should be illegal, or either or.

Not quite true

There are many arguments against polygamy from a historical perspective that if managed properly would no longer be a large issue.

1. In the past such societies were almost exclusively polygamous (1 man, multiple women) and structured in such a way as to be abusive to women. Women were viewed almost as property and were expected to be subservient to the man.
  2. It was not uncommon for older men to exercise political (or religious) "power" over community such that very young women were forced into marriages with these older men (often much older) and left with no means of escape from the community. (i.e. statutory rape with no means of escape.)
  3. High concentrations of polygamous marriages tends to skew the natural ratios of the available male/females in a given population. If you have one man marrying multiple women, those women are effectively removed from the - ah - market so to speak. Now you have an increased number of males while at the same time having a shortage of available females. Leading to problems with how to deal with the males who were often excluded from the community.

Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization society - although many of these problems might still be applicable to African and Middle-Eastern societies. Much larger and more mobile populations also reduces the impact of past wrongs which occurred in isolated enclaves.

However from a modern perspective there are still valid reasons against legalized bigamy.

Legal View: There is no legal framework to deal with partners in a Civil Marriage that exceeds two persons and the issues that are already complex enough dealing with two individuals and possibly children let alone increasing those issues exponentially with each additional spouse.

In each bigamous marriage, there would be at a minimum three legally intertwined status:

A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

Add a fourth spouse and you get:

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

Add a fifth spouse and you get:

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

So you have issues with property on who owns what, what was brought into the marriage when. If C decides he/she no longer wants to be part of the plural marriage to what extent is he/she awarded property from A, B, D, and E.

You have issues also with children. Who are the parents. The biological parents or are all adults in a plural marriage equally parents. In the event of a divorce who gets child custody? Visitation? Child support? etc...

When the discussion is about marriage between two consenting adults the current legal system will support it because laws, courts, etc... are geared toward dealing with the same situations. Linear increases in the number of spouses causes an exponential increase on the courts in dealing with those issues.

So there is a secular reason to be leery of bigamy as a government recognized entity that has nothing to do with religion or morality.

So there is one...

>>>>

Actually, yes

What?

Procreation?

Hey Rightwinger, my example was a Mother/Daughter. Please demonstrate how the two of them could create an offspring DEFORMED OR OTHERWISE

Quit the deflection

Besides, it is Your sides argument that procreation should not be an issue in marriage.

Nice argument

Did you have a point?

I married someone completely different than myself.

See, Daddies have penises, Mommies have vaginas.

Glad I could help ya

Not quite true

There are many arguments against polygamy from a historical perspective that if managed properly would no longer be a large issue.

1. In the past such societies were almost exclusively polygamous (1 man, multiple women) and structured in such a way as to be abusive to women. Women were viewed almost as property and were expected to be subservient to the man.
  2. It was not uncommon for older men to exercise political (or religious) "power" over community such that very young women were forced into marriages with these older men (often much older) and left with no means of escape from the community. (i.e. statutory rape with no means of escape.)
  3. High concentrations of polygamous marriages tends to skew the natural ratios of the available male/females in a given population. If you have one man marrying multiple women, those women are effectively removed from the - ah - market so to speak. Now you have an increased number of males while at the same time having a shortage of available females. Leading to problems with how to deal with the males who were often excluded from the community.

Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization society - although many of these problems might still be applicable to African and Middle-Eastern societies. Much larger and more mobile populations also reduces the impact of past wrongs which occurred in isolated enclaves.

However from a modern perspective there are still valid reasons against legalized bigamy.

Legal View: There is no legal framework to deal with partners in a Civil Marriage that exceeds two persons and the issues that are already complex enough dealing with two individuals and possibly children let alone increasing those issues exponentially with each additional spouse.

In each bigamous marriage, there would be at a minimum three legally intertwined status:

A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

Add a fourth spouse and you get:

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

Add a fifth spouse and you get:

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

So you have issues with property on who owns what, what was brought into the marriage when. If C decides he/she no longer wants to be part of the plural marriage to what extent is he/she awarded property from A, B, D, and E.

You have issues also with children. Who are the parents. The biological parents or are all adults in a plural marriage equally parents. In the event of a divorce who gets child custody? Visitation? Child support? etc...

When the discussion is about marriage between two consenting adults the current legal system will support it because laws, courts, etc... are geared toward dealing with the same situations. Linear increases in the number of spouses causes an exponential increase on the courts in dealing with those issues.

So there is a secular reason to be leery of bigamy as a government recognized entity that has nothing to do with religion or morality.

So there is one...

>>>>

Law firms, LLC's and any number of partnerships handle it quite easily.

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

Just cuze you have a lot of time to type that crap out does not make it correct.

Sure I did but you choose to ignore my statement.
But you just answered and condoned my statement.
No one told you who to marry.

Actually, yes

What?

Procreation?

Quit the deflection

Nice argument

Did you have a point?

Glad I could help ya

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

Just cuze you have a lot of time to type that crap out does not make it correct.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't establish a family relationship where one did not exist before.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't establish parental rights where one did not exist before.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't with child custody.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't a spousal relationship for Social Security purposes.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for command sponsorship for military spouse's when serving with their spouse overseas.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for tax free transfer of property to a spouse.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for exemption from the death tax.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for automatic parental rights upon the birth of child within the Civil Marriage.

The post I said there was no reason, none - and I provided one.

And they sure as hell don't do it for the 50 bucks it cost for a Civil Marriage license.

>>>>

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

Business partnerships and LLC's don't establish a family relationship where one did not exist before.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't establish parental rights where one did not exist before.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't a spousal relationship for Social Security purposes.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for command sponsorship for military spouse's when serving with their spouse overseas.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for tax free transfer of property to a spouse.

Business partnerships and LLC's don't provide for automatic parental rights upon the birth of child within the Civil Marriage.

And they sure as hell don't do it for the 50 bucks it cost for a Civil Marriage license.

>>>>

Of course they don't ( give me a friggin break )

Why you may ask? ( and I know you will )

Polygamy is now illegal!

When it's no longer illegal, these boiler plate arrangements can easily be modified to fill in the blanks.

Progressive thinkers sure don't think progressively.

Sure I did but you choose to ignore my statement.
But you just answered and condoned my statement.
No one told you who to marry.

What?

Procreation?

Quit the deflection

Nice argument

Did you have a point?

Glad I could help ya

How does one both ignore and answer a question at the same time?????

Get real

K?

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

>>>>

Polygamy is now illegal!

When it's no longer illegal, these boiler plate arrangements can easily be modified to fill in the blanks.

Your right, you can't even begin to duplicate the rights, responsibilities, and benefits of Civil Marriage for close to the $50 bucks. Let alone the MASSIVE expansion of government required to then deal with N Men: N Women spousal relationships and N Parents : N Children issues. Something not needed since the 1 Spouse : 1 Spouse relationship is already well established in the family code.

Thanks for agreeing.

>>>>

Why do the far right nutters get so excited about family incest marriage?

No, guys, your Oedipal desires are not going to be legislated into law.

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

>>>>

Polygamy is now illegal!

Your right, you can't even begin to duplicate the rights, responsibilities, and benefits of Civil Marriage for close to the $50 bucks. Let alone the MASSIVE expansion of government required to then deal with N Men: N Women spousal relationships and N Parents : N Children issues. Something not needed since the 1 Spouse : 1 Spouse relationship is already well established in the family code.

Thanks for agreeing.

>>>>

You deflect then claim my agreement

You have become a disappointment WW.

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

>>>>

Polygamy is now illegal!

Thanks for agreeing.

>>>>

I said: "And they sure as hell don't do it for the 50 bucks it cost for a Civil Marriage license."

You said: "Of course they don't ( give me a friggin break )"

There is no way in hell that a business partnership or LLC can duplicated all the rights, responsibilities, and benefits of Civil Marriage for $50 bucks - for those that can be duplicated, some can't.

>>>>

IT'S BOILERPLATE CRAP.

You've tried this before

>>>>

Polygamy is now illegal!

Thanks for agreeing.

>>>>

I said: "And they sure as hell don't do it for the 50 bucks it cost for a Civil Marriage license."

There is no way in hell that a business partnership or LLC can duplicated all the rights, responsibilities, and benefits of Civil Marriage for $50 bucks - for those that can be duplicated, some can't.

>>>>

The question is polygamy and how the government could handle the paperwork to handle the relationships within such, not the expense to do so.

You deflect in order that it would appear I agree.

The relationships are not much different than my example showed.

>>>>

Polygamy is now illegal!

Thanks for agreeing.

>>>>

>>>>

The question is polygamy and how the government could handle the paperwork to handle the relationships within such, not the expense to do so.

You deflect in order that it would appear I agree.

The relationships are not much different than my example showed.

The post that I responded to said there was no reason to opposed Polygamy, not true I provided one.

My explanation was a function of government, YOU jumped in the the business partner/LLC deflection - that was not something I brought up.

The relationship between family members (and the government when such relationships have legal bearing) are much different then business partnerships and LLC's as many aspects of the spousal relationship cannot be duplicated through a business license. The cost of setting up such a business partnership relationship can be thousands of dollars on the low end and millions on the high end for a large LLC.

It would take a massive expansion of family code law to deal with families where there are 3, 6, 9, 50, 100... adults all married to each other in terms of rights, property, and children in such a situation. The structure to deal with two adults in a legal family relationship where one did not exist before already exists - it would take no expansion of government.

Therefore there is a secular, non-morality reason for limiting the legal recognition of such relationships - something that was said does not exist.

>>>>

Forum List

Back