Is Polygamy The Next Gay Marriage?

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
The homo lobby swore over and over again that this issue would never come up. Now it's undeniable that we're headed down the slippery slope.

Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage - The Daily Beast

Back in the early days of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender movement’s push for marriage equality, this slippery slope to polygamy was pragmatically taboo. After all, arguments about gay marriage leading to polygamy were lobbed almost entirely with the purpose of derailing the gay rights agenda. And there was also something inherently offensive about making the connection, along the same lines of suggesting that gay marriage would lead to people marrying goats. Never mind the fact that opposite-sex goat-human marriage had been looming as a dangerous temptation all along…

Still, people often mention polygamy and gay marriage in the same sentence (not to mention the same essay). Recently—in, surprise, Utah—a judge struck down a part of that state’s anti-polygamy law. Mind you, the Utah law makes it a felony punishable by up to five years in prison when someone “cohabits with another person” to whom they aren’t legally married. This makes me wonder whether Utah also outlaws the combustion engine, the Internet and other realities of modern life, but anyway there you have it.

The legal challenge came after the state sued the stars of Sister Wives, a TV show that follows the real life of one husband, his four wives, and their 17 children. Now here’s the thing: Sister Wives premiered in September 2010, but Kody and Meri married in 1990, Kody and Janelle married in 1993, and Kody and Christine married in 1994. In other words, all those marriages predate even the earliest adoption of gay marriage in America, which was in Massachusetts in 2004. And second, in the Sister Wives family, Kody married each of the women, but the women didn’t marry each other.

In other words, polygamy, as it generally is practiced in the United States, is a predominantly heterosexual enterprise—like heterosexuality (or the male ideal of heterosexuality) on steroids. After all, while the percentage of married women who have affairs has risen in recent decades, married men still do most of the cheating. Conservatives concerned about the high rate of divorce in America should stop blaming gay marriage but instead heterosexual infidelity—a prime culprit in 55 percent of divorces.

If couples want to bring cheating out of the deceitful shadows and instead incorporate it openly into their relationship—plus have more hands on deck for kids and more earners in the household in a tough economy—who are we to judge?

Seriously, I’m a bit too traditional and jealous for that sort of thing, but I’m also too traditional to wear jeggings outside the house. Still, you (mostly) don’t see me judging anyone else for doing so.

In 2013 when the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality for same-sex couples, pro-polygamy groups heralded the ruling as a step away from the conventional one-man one-woman definition of marriage and, thus, as opening the door to polygamy. I get that, and to an extent pro-polygamy activists may be trying to latch their still-widely unpopular cause onto the increasingly victorious rainbow bandwagon.

There could be groups in the 'christian sect' world that might have a problem with it.

I have actually completely changed by views on polygamy. I still think that one man, one woman, is the ideal.

However.... there actually isn't any prohibition of polygamy in the Bible. So... I don't have any objection.

I do think men are nutz though. It's hard enough, and 'painful' enough, just trying to please one woman. Why a guy would voluntarily sign up to be tortured by multiple women, is beyond me.

How many husbands can a guy have? There has to be a limit. You can only manage so many aholes at a time. Just look at what we have to put up with here?

I think shows like Sister Wives are helping to promote tolerance/acceptance of that lifestyle.

Polygs in the fundamentalist Mormon sects terrorize the females, so they don't have that problem, Androw.

The homo lobby swore over and over again that this issue would never come up.

Link? The entire lobby, please.

Marriage quality is about two people.

The issue is where to allow continuing marriages of two people that have a living arrangement.

As an anarcho commie, you have no entry in this.

Who says the definition of marriage is limited to two people? Society used to say marriage is a union between two people of the opposite sex, but the homos all cried about that. They claimed it was about "consenting adults." If three people all consent to be married to each other, what reason can the apologists for "gay marriage" give for denying them?

Polygs in the fundamentalist Mormon sects terrorize the females, so they don't have that problem, Androw.

As homos have so often pointed out, men in regular hetero marriages often terrorize their wives. Should we outlaw those?

I have to admit that no matter how hard I try, I find myself unable to give a shit.
Same here. I have enjoyed watching Sister Wives about a polygamous family, and other shows with the same theme. I don't oppose the idea for those with whom it is successfully working. It will never become a trend, and there will be abuses, as with any unorthodox lifestyle but I knew this was coming as soon as gay marriage became acceptable and legal in many states and growing.

Who cares. My thoughts these days are not much on social issues.

And heteros terrorize and abuse children.

Should we outlaw marriage for heteros?

This all will be over come June next year.

I have to admit that no matter how hard I try, I find myself unable to give a shit.
Same here. I have enjoyed watching Sister Wives about a polygamous family, and other shows with the same theme. I don't oppose the idea for those with whom it is successfully working. It will never become a trend, and there will be abuses, as with any unorthodox lifestyle but I knew this was coming as soon as gay marriage became acceptable and legal in many states and growing.

Who cares. My thoughts these days are not much on social issues.

Sociologists have shown that societies that condone polygamy are a lot more violent and aggressive than societies that are strictly monogamous. That's because such societies have large populations of single men with no possibility of attracting a mate. Polygamy is bad for society. It's especially bad for the prospects of a peaceful society.

Is Polygamy The Next Gay Marriage?

No.

The fails as a slippery slope fallacy.

And there is no such thing as 'gay marriage.'

There is only one marriage (contract) law in each state that can accommodate only two consenting, equal adult partners who wish to make a commitment recognized by the state – same- or opposite-sex.

Because marriage can accommodate only two consenting, equal adult partners, three or more persons may not marry.

The issue with regard to denying same-sex couples concerned disallowing them access to marriage law they were eligible to participate in, simply because of who they are, where the state sought to discriminate against a particular class of persons.

That's not the case with regard to laws prohibiting bigamy.

Unlike measures that sought to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law, laws prohibiting bigamy are Constitutional because they are applied to everyone equally, there is no particular class of persons singled out for exclusion, no class of persons entitled to Constitutional protections are being disadvantaged, such as gay Americans.

(And no, 'polygamists' do not constitute a 'class of persons' entitled to 'Constitutional protections.')

In theory a state might enact a 'marriage law' that can accommodate three or more persons, but until such a law exists, the states are at liberty to prohibit three or more persons from marrying with impunity.

The same can be said of having a superflous number of anarcho commie males: just bad for society.

No reason to suggest that polygamous marriage legally is any where near in the future.

The bigotry in this thread is mind-blowing.

Every single one of you uneducated bigots bashing polygamy will completely reverse course after just one weekend on Lesbian Polygamist Island. It's guaranteed to liberate every strong, independent womyn from the shackles of heterosexuality, and turn every manpig into an estrogen-chugging womyn-to-be.

Forum List

Back