Is personal responsibility the only answer?

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I've seen many ops and posts about poor blacks in the inner cities and I find most to be extremely critical and negative.

I’ve just read “Is Bill Cosby Right? (or has the black middle class lost its mind?) by Michael Eric Dyson.

He says, “The poor cannot erase the blight of white supremacy by behaving better, no matter what advocates of racial uplift or personal responsibility like Bill Cosby suggest. Assuming personal responsibility cannot remove vicious structural barriers to economic mobility. Exercising personal responsibility cannot prevent the postindustrial decline in major northeastern cities, nor can it fix the crumbling infrastructure that continues to keep the poor, well, poor. Being personally responsible can’t stop job flight, structural shifts in the political economy, the increasing technological monopoly of work, downsizing, or outsourcing, problems that middle-class folk, who are presumed to be more personally responsible than the poor, face in abundance these days. As historian Robin D.G. Kelley observes:

The reality is, all the self-help in the world will not eliminate poverty or create the number of jobs needed to employ the African American community. Multinational corporations control 70 percent of world trade, and about one-third of world trade consists of transfers within the 350 largest global corporations. Rather than merely exploit Third World labor to extract or cultivate raw materials, increasingly we have witnessed the export of whole production processes as corporations seek to take advantage of cheaper labor, relatively lower taxes, and a deregulated environment…Well-paying jobs made possible by decades of union struggle disappeared.

We hold the poor immediately responsible for mastering their domain, and yet society bears the ultimate responsibility for making their social environment a cruel obstacle course of severely limited options while virtually assuring their failure with poorly arranged alternatives to their suffering. To paraphrase Dorothy Day, the great Catholic social activist who spent her life working with and loving the poor, “We must work toward a world in which it is easier for the poor to behave decently.”

Is Bill Cosby the rapist right? Why the hell would I ask him?
This book was written in response to Cosby's unrelenting criticism of poor black folks. Then when all of his own bad behavior surfaced, it showed the utter hypocrisy of it all.

It does make me wonder, though, how many of those who constantly criticize others have their own hidden issues. We are all flawed. When Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," everybody dropped their rocks and walked away.

The only barrier to economic mobility is education. Teaching kids proper English is a great start.

Bullshit. There are plenty of blacks who speak proper English. And we have a white president who doesn't.

I've seen many ops and posts about poor blacks in the inner cities and I find most to be extremely critical and negative.

I’ve just read “Is Bill Cosby Right? (or has the black middle class lost its mind?) by Michael Eric Dyson.

He says, “The poor cannot erase the blight of white supremacy by behaving better, no matter what advocates of racial uplift or personal responsibility like Bill Cosby suggest. Assuming personal responsibility cannot remove vicious structural barriers to economic mobility. Exercising personal responsibility cannot prevent the postindustrial decline in major northeastern cities, nor can it fix the crumbling infrastructure that continues to keep the poor, well, poor. Being personally responsible can’t stop job flight, structural shifts in the political economy, the increasing technological monopoly of work, downsizing, or outsourcing, problems that middle-class folk, who are presumed to be more personally responsible than the poor, face in abundance these days. As historian Robin D.G. Kelley observes:

The reality is, all the self-help in the world will not eliminate poverty or create the number of jobs needed to employ the African American community. Multinational corporations control 70 percent of world trade, and about one-third of world trade consists of transfers within the 350 largest global corporations. Rather than merely exploit Third World labor to extract or cultivate raw materials, increasingly we have witnessed the export of whole production processes as corporations seek to take advantage of cheaper labor, relatively lower taxes, and a deregulated environment…Well-paying jobs made possible by decades of union struggle disappeared.

We hold the poor immediately responsible for mastering their domain, and yet society bears the ultimate responsibility for making their social environment a cruel obstacle course of severely limited options while virtually assuring their failure with poorly arranged alternatives to their suffering. To paraphrase Dorothy Day, the great Catholic social activist who spent her life working with and loving the poor, “We must work toward a world in which it is easier for the poor to behave decently.”

Cosby is full of crap,

Cosby is the rapist now. But a few years ago people like you would point to Cosby as someone blacks should think like.

Cosby is the rapist now. But a few years ago people like you would point to Cosby as someone blacks should think like.
I believe that Bill Cosby had a very good and positive message for young black men. Unforcanetly, he was originally a product of the ghettoes just like OJ Simpson. It's easy to take black men out of the ghettoes but it's impossible to take the ghettoes out of black men.

I believe that Bill Cosby had a very good and positive message for young black men. Unforcanetly, he was originally a product of the ghettoes just like OJ Simpson. It's easy to take black men out of the ghettoes but it's impossible to take the ghettoes out of black men.

Meaning what?

Reversing the industrial decline is one of the primary reasons I voted for Trump, in the primaries.

On THAT he is right.

The talk of "white supremacist" was stupid.

Bill Cosby is not a rapist, he is a whore monger. And perhaps a dishonest one.

Doesn't mean he is wrong about what the black community needs.

Meaning what?
Old habits die hard.

This book was written in response to Cosby's unrelenting criticism of poor black folks. Then when all of his own bad behavior surfaced, it showed the utter hypocrisy of it all.

It does make me wonder, though, how many of those who constantly criticize others have their own hidden issues. We are all flawed. When Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," everybody dropped their rocks and walked away.

But you don't throw out the baby with the bath water either.
Your question/post has valid points - that the increase of technology replacing people, or lowering the number of people required for a set of tasks, outsourcing, mergers that carry with them mass layoffs...etc. All of these things are indeed lowering the number of needed people to service and provide the needs of the population. This is inescapable.
With that is also going to dilute the value of lower college degrees, as more and more people try to learn new skills only to find themselves in a very crowded place.
HOWEVER - amoral behavior, a lack of basic communication skills and low work ethics is absolutely going to guarantee poverty. Just because there are fewer jobs available for poorly trained, or less trained/educated people doesn't mean you throw your arms up in the air and give up.

But you don't throw out the baby with the bath water either.
Your question/post has valid points - that the increase of technology replacing people, or lowering the number of people required for a set of tasks, outsourcing, mergers that carry with them mass layoffs...etc. All of these things are indeed lowering the number of needed people to service and provide the needs of the population. This is inescapable.
With that is also going to dilute the value of lower college degrees, as more and more people try to learn new skills only to find themselves in a very crowded place.
HOWEVER - amoral behavior, a lack of basic communication skills and low work ethics is absolutely going to guarantee poverty. Just because there are fewer jobs available for poorly trained, or less trained/educated people doesn't mean you throw your arms up in the air and give up.

Importing more poor people to compete for those fewer jobs is probably not going to help blacks much either.

Meaning what?
Old habits die hard.

What habits?

Meaning what?
Old habits die hard.

What habits?
The old ones.

Cosby is full of crap,
Yeah. Dyson's book agrees and he took a lot of grief for writing it.

Meaning what?
Old habits die hard.

What habits?
The old ones.

Like what? Being millionaire actors?

Forum List

Back