Zone1 Is Living in the U.S. A Life Wasted?

Lol. American exceptionalism. It's another name for American parochialism...
America is exceptional by every definition of the word.
No other country on earth is quite like it, not even close.
Is America the best country in the world, maybe-maybe not. Being exceptional doesn't mean your are the best - it just means you are very good in ways that are very different than others.
Does it mean there is nothing wrong with/in America. Of course not. There never has been or will ever be a perfect nation.

The Third Reich was not an exception?

TIL
Again, depending on a strawman to make your argument is a tactic only used by those who can't argue the debate.
It is obvious, that I am using the positive meanings from the word.
As it was obvious that you were also denying that America is exceptional in a positive way.
When it is.
Sorry that sucks for you.

cnm is right. He submitted the correct definition and even gave an example of it.
No
Anyone who has a 4th grade level of English knows that there are many-many words in the English language that can be used in different ways, and everyone who read my statement knows very well that I am using the positive connotation of the word exceptional.
It is absurd and ridiculous to say to someone saying an Olympic swimmer is exceptional, by saying "yeah, well so was Charlie Manson".
That is stupid, intellectually dishonest and a weak strawman argument.

No
Anyone who has a 4th grade level of English knows that there are many-many words in the English language that can be used in different ways, and everyone who read my statement knows very well that I am using the positive connotation of the word exceptional.
It is absurd and ridiculous to say to someone saying an Olympic swimmer is exceptional, by saying "yeah, well so was Charlie Manson".
That is stupid, and a weak strawman argument.
It is stupid, and by very nature, dishonest as well.

Let's see now:
1). The title of this thread "Is Living in the U.S. A Life Wasted?"
2). My reply included the name "United Snakes".
3). You somehow read "continent".
4). I reminded you that I said "United Snakes", not "continent".
5). But you still insist that I am referring to "continent"?

I don't understand what the problem is. Do you not know the difference between a country and a continent? Seriously?
Of course you don't.
I don't have a problem because there is no problem. It's in your head. I've tried to explain the difference between a country and a continent but you don't "get it". That's not my problem .... it's yours. Take it to bed with you and nurture it if you like being frustrated. Me, I've got other things to think about.

Panama is too politically unstable for me.

Do you pay attention to what is happening in country?

Currently it is one of the friendliest to Americans to retire in, the government LOVES Americans to retire there because they do not seek employment, and they bring their own money. Win-win for them.

Not just Americans, but Ex-Pats from all over the world.

But... you get another communistic regime take over and all bets are off. Afterall the Panamanian government is near the top in corruption.

They rake 100 out of 180 on the CPI and they have been getting better since 2015.

And their ties to China is suspect to say the least. China has pumped $2.5 billion into Panama just in the last year.

They are not suspect in the least, China pays for the ports on either side of the canal and the country of Panama greatly benefits from it.

No
Anyone who has a 4th grade level of English knows that there are many-many words in the English language that can be used in different ways,
Of course.
and everyone who read my statement knows very well that I am using the positive connotation of the word exceptional.
Well, ain't you the prissy one! It was cnm who introduced the word but you think everyone should ignore what he said, right? Where do you get your gall?

Of course.

Well, ain't you the prissy one! It was cnm who introduced the word but you think everyone should ignore what he said, right? Where do you get your gall?
Sorry, anyone with the honesty and intelligence of a gnat would know the difference.
Are you agreeing with him/her that saying Nazi Germany was also exceptional, is a valid argument against someone saying America is exceptional in a positive way?
Really?

Here is another...
Intellectual dishonesty, is a sort of blanket term for being dishonest without necessarily straight out lying. It’s the failure to apply high standards for truth.

”I’ve been everywhere”, as they say, and with the exception of South America, it’s true. And I did it all overland and that means that I’ve been to nearly 100 countries around the globe. I have lived in about 10 of them, so that should make me an expert, right? Well yes, I am an expert traveller but nothing stays the same so what I thought was perfect is no longer perfect anymore. I can choose to live just about anywhere I want and not many people can say that. The thing is that I live where I chose to live because it had the best of everything. It doesn't anymore and now I’m too old to pick up and change. That applies to everyone eventually. So, I make the best of things and I am happy that I didn’t end up in some of the other countries that are real shitholes. That is to say that I am fortunate to have made my own choices in life. I know what’s good and I know what’s bad and I know what I am doing to make the best of what I’ve got. Life doesn't get any better than that if you've learned how to roll with the punches. :hyper:

I spent 4.5 years of my youth living in Iran. Prior to that we moved every couple years due to my father's job. Once I was an adult I joined the Marines and moved every 3 to 4 years for 20 years. Where I now live is twice as long as I have ever lived anywhere in my entire life and I am more than ready to get the hell out. But the jobs my wife and I both have are too good to just up and leave 5 years before we can both retire. So we will stay till then.

Right now the plan is to retire to Panama, if we do not like it there after a while we will find somewhere else. We will not buy a house there, just rent and move when we are tired of a town. I plan to do that till I am too old and frail to do so, which should be about 20 years at a minimum. Doing this will also allow us to not touch our 401k till the Govt makes us do so.

Forum List

Back