is it u.s. of america or u.s. of atheists?

Sure, I'll concede many of the founders were deists, but they definitely were not pervasively Christians. The author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson was definitely an outspoken critic of Christianity. (Read his "Bible" for example) Not to say Christians should not practice their religion and have the freedom of religion we all should enjoy. However, the US Constitution in the first amendment states:

I am an atheist, but I don't want to shut down churches or prevent parents from teaching their religion to children. I just want to make sure my tax dollars don't go to support your religious institutions and I want the government to remain secular so we all can freely believe whatever we want.

i agree i dont want tax dollars going there either. and i'm all for everyone believing what they will. but, what about prayer in schools and in gov places where's our right. why should that offend you?

Since when was all prayer banned? Last I heard it was only school sponsored/led prayer.

I doubt very much the atheist soldier is being atheist when the rockets are coming in and charlie is at the wire. I don't say this too much, but, froggy, you are a moron.

On behalf of all atheists I'd just like to say

FUCK YOU!

Fuck you and your patronizing BS that we'd grovel at the feet of your God if the shit hit the fan.

Jackass

Yep, we swear to God in court to tell the truth​
Maybe you do. I don't. I told them it was their fairy tale and not mine.

My oath shall stand or fall and the merit of my word detemined by my character, not by some readers' digest rehash of the Sumerian mythologies.

You may define your own morals and codes of conduct but that doesn't negate the historical facts of this countries heritage.

Like people using christianity as a justification for slavery... yeah, what an awesome example of heritage right there.

Which of the first three paragraphs of the Mayflower Compact say?

Doesn't matter; TMC is not a legally binding document and did not influence American civics in any major way. You might as well ask what Martin Luther had to say about the Jews

It does matter. You use "separation of church and state" to interpret the FA and I use both the MC and "separation of church and state" along with a bunch of other relevant facts of the time. It is only when you conveniently leave out the documents and quotes that formed the backbone for the decisions that the founding fathers made that you can misinterpret it the way you do.

The Light, you are wrong, period, and in an incredibly small minority. Shoot, the Pilgrims on the MFC would turn away from you negative natterings.

Maybe you do. I don't. I told them it was their fairy tale and not mine.

My oath shall stand or fall and the merit of my word detemined by my character, not by some readers' digest rehash of the Sumerian mythologies.

You may define your own morals and codes of conduct but that doesn't negate the historical facts of this countries heritage.

Like people using christianity as a justification for slavery... yeah, what an awesome example of heritage right there.

:rolleyes: You really don't know your history do you?

I mean according to you America was meant to be a Christian Nation established by christian founders through the Constitution which was an inherently pro-slavery document as originally written.

when did it change to we the atheist? what happened to majority rules.

That's a good question when did it change to we the atheist? We still have God on our money and our pledge which are blatant endorsements of religion.

As for a majority rules, please learn how we're a republic not a democracy or a lynch mob.

Which of the first three paragraphs of the Mayflower Compact say?

Doesn't matter; TMC is not a legally binding document and did not influence American civics in any major way. You might as well ask what Martin Luther had to say about the Jews

It does matter. You use "separation of church and state" to interpret the FA and I use both the MC and "separation of church and state" along with a bunch of other relevant facts of the time. It is only when you conveniently leave out the documents and quotes that formed the backbone for the decisions that the founding fathers made that you can misinterpret it the way you do.

You mean the quotes of Jefferson and Adams (among others)? Many of the FF had no kind words for religion in general and christianity in particular

I mean according to you America was meant to be a Christian Nation established by christian founders through the Constitution which was an inherently pro-slavery document as originally written.

Like for instance the Declaration of Independance that states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.":eusa_think:

Like for instance the Declaration of Independance that states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.":eusa_think:

From the Constitution:

Article 1 Sec. 2 Paragraph 3: "Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons."

'men' in that sentence referred to White landed gentry

when did it change to we the atheist? what happened to majority rules.

Next thing you know, froggy is going to claim that Atheists own all the universities and Atheists make all the deadly weapon. Also Atheists Scientists are receiving funds from the Jewish Bank Owners and enlisting Muslim Jihadists in order to the exterminate all the Christians.

It is coming!!! The Dangers of Atheistic Scientists!! Scientific Progress or Weapons of the Anti-christs!!

Why anyone would want to associate their God, with the lying scum of a crew we have had in our gvt, is beyond me.....

Why anyone would want to associate their God, with the lying scum of a crew we have had in our gvt, is beyond me.....

Because America WAS a Christian nation and had much less of the lying scum that you mentioned because it was a Christian nation. But as the lying Godless and spineless scum slips in the door on both sides of the isle our nation will continue to take the steep nose dive that it is.

'men' in that sentence referred to White landed gentry

Did you pull that one out of your crystal ball? or is 'men' somehow the greek or latin word for White landed gentry?:eusa_think:

Because America WAS a Christian nation and had much less of the lying scum that you mentioned because it was a Christian nation. But as the lying Godless and spineless scum slips in the door on both sides of the isle our nation will continue to take the steep nose dive that it is.

Translation: I like to scapegoat all my problems on people I all ready don't like and damn the facts.

If you really can't think of a single Christian politician who has ever done anything wrong or lied or swindled except in recent years you must be living in a fantasy world.

Oh and tell me how many atheists are there as senators or congressman or supreme court justices or cabinet members?

How many Christians are there?

Yes we atheists are clearly causing all the problems in the government and yet somehow are barely there.

Are you always so stupid?

America is a secular nation and was better off before the neocons and other right-wing reactionaries developed this religious fervor in response to the 'red menace' (which threatened their business interests if it spread)

Do you realize that ALL that has come about in our country, was allowed to come about, by God....?

America is a nation that was created by a bunch Christians and Deists, there is no questioning of such.

And these primarily Christian founders, never created a theocratic nation....it was key for them NOT TO HAVE A THEOCRACY as their form of government, in order to have individual religious rights...a separation of Church and State was essential to the freedom of religion.

We are still a nation made up of primarily Christians...but we are not a Christian Nation in the sense of religion ruling our governing powers through a Theocracy.

care

Forum List

Back