Is it time to BAN EVs?

Markle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2016
Tallahassee, FL
I'm not a fan of EVs but I did not know they are this dangerous.

Is It Time to Ban Electric Vehicles?

Stephen Moore
Stephen Moore | Aug 15, 2023

The New York Fire Department recently reported that so far this year there have been 108 lithium-ion battery fires in New York City, which have injured 66 people and killed 13. According to FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh, "There is not a small amount of fire, it (the vehicle) literally explodes." The resulting fire is "very difficult to extinguish and so it is particularly dangerous."

What say you?

I'm not a fan of EVs but I did not know they are this dangerous.

Is It Time to Ban Electric Vehicles?

Stephen Moore
Stephen Moore | Aug 15, 2023

The New York Fire Department recently reported that so far this year there have been 108 lithium-ion battery fires in New York City, which have injured 66 people and killed 13. According to FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh, "There is not a small amount of fire, it (the vehicle) literally explodes." The resulting fire is "very difficult to extinguish and so it is particularly dangerous."

What say you?
no

We do need to re-design the EVs so that swapping out batteries is done as opposed to all of this re-charging.

Stephen Moore, isn't that the neocon who got us into the Iraq war?

Jesus, no wonder you people are so stupid.
What’s really stupid is thinking that someone is always wrong because they were wrong in the past.

It is dumb to ban EVs. Some people like them and they serve their needs better then a gas car.

Lulz. Do you have any idea how large the battery in an EV is? Might as well just swap the entire vehicle.
They're doing it in China already.

Explain the logistics of that. I'll wait.
The battery is on the bottom of the car. You subscribe to a service just like you have a Chevron card or whatever....

You pull in; a robot takes your battery off your car and places it in a cradle to be charged. The same robot grabs a charged battery and installs it on your rig and you're rolling.

The battery is on the bottom of the car. You subscribe to a service just like you have a Chevron card or whatever....

You pull in; a robot takes your battery off your car and places it in a cradle to be charged. The same robot grabs a charged battery and installs it on your rig and you're rolling.

So every service station needs a warehouse with dozens or hundreds of batteries, depending on demand. Do you realize how much that would cost? These batteries aren't cheap.

So every service station needs a warehouse with dozens or hundreds of batteries, depending on demand.
Yeah I suppose that's true. I-95 would have a lot of stations with a lot of batteries. I-70 out in the boonies would have fewer stations likely with fewer batteries.
Do you realize how much that would cost? These batteries aren't cheap.
Probably quite a bit. Do you think those tankers full of gasoline that get put into the underground storage tanks are free?

There isn't much point of discussing it since venom is the only thing you contribute to any conversation but the way I would think it would work is as follows...

The Chevron sells gas. The owner wants to start selling charging services to EVs. Right now she or he puts in these charging stations. Cars sit there for what--20/30 minutes maybe (if they're lucky) and charge? I don't know--I've never done it. It seems like a bad idea considering the elements during the time of charging (is it snowing? Is it raining? Can you leave the vehicle while it's charging--you're not supposed to while it's fueling...) Now consider the model in the Forbes article I sent you. You pull in; stay in the car and in 3 minutes or so, you have a fresh battery and are on the road again. It seems like a superior idea as far as strictly electric vehicles go. I prefer a hybrid model myself. That makes much more sense to me than a straight EV or ICE ever would. Why not have the best of both worlds? Anyway just to finish the thought. What I would perceive is you subscribing to a charging plan just like you subscribe to XM radio or Verizon. When you need a charge, the car pings the nearest battery switcher-outer place. A "reservation" is made for you to go and have a swap out done. Now...on the supply end; at first, I think retailers will take a wait and see approach. You lease this switcher-outer building that is installed on your land (the land is going to be a problem--most places don't have a wealth of space for these things) and purchase 10 batteries or whatever. There is space for 50 but you purchase 10 to see if demand is there. If it's there, you add more batteries and you get more business. If its not; you don't renew your lease.

Yeah I suppose that's true. I-95 would have a lot of stations with a lot of batteries. I-70 out in the boonies would have fewer stations likely with fewer batteries.

Probably quite a bit. Do you think those tankers full of gasoline that get put into the underground storage tanks are free?

There isn't much point of discussing it since venom is the only thing you contribute to any conversation but the way I would think it would work is as follows...

The Chevron sells gas. The owner wants to start selling charging services to EVs. Right now she or he puts in these charging stations. Cars sit there for what--20/30 minutes maybe (if they're lucky) and charge? I don't know--I've never done it. It seems like a bad idea considering the elements during the time of charging (is it snowing? Is it raining? Can you leave the vehicle while it's charging--you're not supposed to while it's fueling...) Now consider the model in the Forbes article I sent you. You pull in; stay in the car and in 3 minutes or so, you have a fresh battery and are on the road again. It seems like a superior idea as far as strictly electric vehicles go. I prefer a hybrid model myself. That makes much more sense to me than a straight EV or ICE ever would. Why not have the best of both worlds? Anyway just to finish the thought. What I would perceive is you subscribing to a charging plan just like you subscribe to XM radio or Verizon. When you need a charge, the car pings the nearest battery switcher-outer place. A "reservation" is made for you to go and have a swap out done. Now...on the supply end; at first, I think retailers will take a wait and see approach. You lease this switcher-outer building that is installed on your land (the land is going to be a problem--most places don't have a wealth of space for these things) and purchase 10 batteries or whatever. There is space for 50 but you purchase 10 to see if demand is there. If it's there, you add more batteries and you get more business. If its not; you don't renew your lease.
So are you saying that each manufacturer is going to have to contract in certain locations? Are consumers going to be forced to limited locations due to the brand of car? I'm not trying to be mean, but you must realize different EVs have different batteries. A service station would literally need hundreds of batteries on hand in a high volume location. Smaller locations would be a crap shoot, as they would lack the funds to meet all possible demands.

So are you saying that each manufacturer is going to have to contract in certain locations? Are consumers going to be forced to limited locations due to the brand of car? I'm not trying to be mean, but you must realize different EVs have different batteries.
A service station would literally need hundreds of batteries on hand in a high volume location. Smaller locations would be a crap shoot, as they would lack the funds to meet all possible demands.
Yeah, we should standardize them. That was my point.

no

We do need to re-design the EVs so that swapping out batteries is done as opposed to all of this re-charging.

Forum List

Back