Zone1 Is it time for a universal pronoun?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
The Philly trans shooter is being called ...they /them...by the police. That's completely ridiculous. So it doesn't want to be referred to as a he or a she but they/them instead? What happens when a person shows up insisting to be referred to as a giraffe? Will public servants then be obligated to perform such insanity? What happens when a group of criminals shows up all claiming to be the same person and wanting to be referred to as legion? Should they only take one set of fingerprints for the whole group?

There has to be a limit here somewhere to this mental retardation.

How about "the unit"?? Or how about "entity"??..... You don't need to use the plural if there's only one sorry wreck of a human mind seeking to be addressed.

Then of course there's scumbag, Chamber pot, Grease monkey, troglodyte, moron, criminal, fly collection, and so on.

Why must we labor under the dysfunctional direction of broken minds? Anyone?

The Philly trans shooter is being called ...they /them...by the police. That's completely ridiculous. So it doesn't want to be referred to as a he or a she but they/them instead? What happens when a person shows up insisting to be referred to as a giraffe? Will public servants then be obligated to perform such insanity? What happens when a group of criminals shows up all claiming to be the same person and wanting to be referred to as legion? Should they only take one set of fingerprints for the whole group?

How about "the unit"?? Or how about "entity"??..... You don't need to use the plural if there's only one sorry wreck of a human mind seeking to be addressed.

Then of course there's scumbag, Chamber pot, Grease monkey, troglodyte, moron, criminal, fly collection, and so on.

"IT" works for me.

Look my friend, you're smart enough to understand that there are more than two sexes. And you should be smart enough to understand that it's not an issue to blow up out of proportion and make it into a political football.

In hopes that you too understand and 'we' need not get into the details?

Look my friend, you're smart enough to understand that there are more than two sexes. And you should be smart enough to understand that it's not an issue to blow up out of proportion and make it into a political football.

In hopes that you too understand and 'we' need not get into the details?
Whatever the case may be....
I have not yet advanced to the point where I can look at a single individual and call them many.

Jo

Whatever the case may be....
I have not yet advanced to the point where I can look at a single individual and call them many.

Jo
There's no need for you and me to discuss the issue any further.

If you want to start identifying with the low brow no-minds then go right ahead.

There's no need for you and me to discuss the issue any further.

If you want to start identifying with the low brow no-minds then go right ahead.
Interesting read but hermaphrodites are not a new thing....I am objecting to the Cybill syndrome that places limits on common sense. Why would I want to refer to one person as many people? At some point it simply defies logic.

310245904_178480134697249_9185203774727896822_n.jpg

It's not actually outrageous. You've been using they/them your entire life. "Someone's coming down the street, and they will be here in five minutes." In terms of grammar class, it's called "the singular they," and it's always been a perfectly acceptable pronoun when the gender of the subject is unknown or unspecified. Many people prefer to live their lives without sticking completely to either masculine or feminine cultural expectations so they prefer to remain unspecified, but if you want to deliberately ignore them, I suppose that's your prerogative. The rest of society, though — including AP and Chicago Style and most of the news outlets — is not.

And not to worry about about any future giraffo-American neighbors; it ends at the water's edge of gender. Gender dysphoria is a real thing, recognized by the AMA, NIH, NHS, American Psychiatric Association, and just about every major research university, such as Yale. Links provided.

Oh, and also: No, they're not. Some bad actors are trying to link this monster's random shooting to transgenderism or gender fluidity, but that is turning out to be in the minds of the accusers.

"He also carried a handgun during the attack."
Source: Reuters, Least Biased, Very High Factual Reporting

"The man who was arrested and charged ..."
"He was ordered held without bond."
Source: New York Times, Left-Center Bias, High Factual Reporting

"The man accused of carrying out a mass shooting in Philadelphia ..."
"... motive remained under investigation, as did how he obtained his weapon, which he did not legally possess ..."
Source: Washington Post, Left-Center Bias, Mostly Factual Reporting

So you're making this up, or listening to someone who is, so you can rant about "they/them" on the Internet. Okay.

It's not actually outrageous. You've been using they/them your entire life. "Someone's coming down the street, and they will be here in five minutes." In terms of grammar class, it's called "the singular they," and it's always been a perfectly acceptable pronoun when the gender of the subject is unknown or unspecified. Many people prefer to live their lives without sticking completely to either masculine or feminine cultural expectations so they prefer to remain unspecified, but if you want to deliberately ignore them, I suppose that's your prerogative. The rest of society, though — including AP and Chicago Style and most of the news outlets — is not.

And not to worry about about any future giraffo-American neighbors; it ends at the water's edge of gender. Gender dysphoria is a real thing, recognized by the AMA, NIH, NHS, American Psychiatric Association, and just about every major research university, such as Yale. Links provided.

Oh, and also: No, they're not. Some bad actors are trying to link this monster's random shooting to transgenderism or gender fluidity, but that is turning out to be in the minds of the accusers.

"He also carried a handgun during the attack."
Source: Reuters, Least Biased, Very High Factual Reporting

"The man who was arrested and charged ..."
"He was ordered held without bond."
Source: New York Times, Left-Center Bias, High Factual Reporting

"The man accused of carrying out a mass shooting in Philadelphia ..."
"... motive remained under investigation, as did how he obtained his weapon, which he did not legally possess ..."
Source: Washington Post, Left-Center Bias, Mostly Factual Reporting

So you're making this up, or listening to someone who is, so you can rant about "they/them" on the Internet. Okay.
Skillfully posted! Kudos!
I think we both know that the singular they is not the issue here. Though certainly you make a relevant point. Are you terribly sure about the giraffe identity? I am not yet convinced.

In the greater realms of human pragmatism it serves no real purpose to identify a singular entity as many entities. At best if plays into the fanciful Imaginations of people who are most likely not completely mentally healthy. At worst it may create an imaginary world that borders on Alice's rabbit hole. Not particularly useful to survival in reality these days.

I suppose there's some therapeutic value in humoring them if one were a practicing behavioral health professional or supportive family member trying to map out a coping strategy. A single person who feels as though several identities are trapped in his or her or whatever body is still one individual. It brings to mind the account in Matthew of the demon possessed man who was infiltrated with several hundred demons who used WE to self identify. But I don't think we're talking about demon possession here.

Also there are several responses in your post that don't seem to be connected to my original post.

In any case I enjoyed the interchange. You post intelligently, politely and with great skill.

 jo

If I ever saw a person claiming to be a giraffe, the first thing I would do is ask it how long it takes for them to throw up?

Forum List

Back