Is it possible to want a small federal gov't and have these views?

You might have a point if the Constitution didn't lay out what the United States is about in the very first words of the document.

"We the People of the United States.."

The United States is made up of "the people" and providing for the Defense and general welfare of those people is mentioned in the very same breath in the very section you quoted. You can try and twist it all you want but it's just not working.

I completely and totally DISAGREE. In fact the phrase you quoted separates the two entities specifically. By noting that the document is being written by "the People" OF "the United States" the authors have separated the two entities from each other.

The two entities are intertwined and co-dependent, but they are not necessarily always the same thing. Nor should they be. That's a lot of the problem with our political atmosphere in this country right now.... we have too many politicians who are more interested in their Constituents interests than in the Constitutional interests that they have sworn to protect and defend.

There is no "United States" without the people. The people and in turn this country are defined and as a result protected by the constitution, even if you try and distort the meaning of it to fit your needs.

1.) Wanting government to regulate the plants you grow on your property.

2.) Wanting government to regulate and filter every word on every form of media.

3.) Wanting government to regulate every marriage that a church wants to recognize.

What say you? Seems to me these sound like principles of a big government.

I'd also add:

4. wanting the government to interfer with self determination overseas.
5. Supporting unpopular regimes.

Overseas? Shit how about some self determination here at home?

You vote?

There is no "United States" without the people. The people and in turn this country are defined and as a result protected by the constitution, even if you try and distort the meaning of it to fit your needs.

I disagree. I believe the United States WAS the physical embodiment of an IDEAL. An IDEAL that we've pissed, shat, and spit on for a little more than a century and a half now.

Assuming that you are correct, then this country, it's people, and the entire human race have no value whatsoever and ought to do the rest of the world a favor by being expunged like every other virus or rodent.

You might have a point if the Constitution didn't lay out what the United States is about in the very first words of the document.

"We the People of the United States.."

The United States is made up of "the people" and providing for the Defense and general welfare of those people is mentioned in the very same breath in the very section you quoted. You can try and twist it all you want but it's just not working.

I completely and totally DISAGREE. In fact the phrase you quoted separates the two entities specifically. By noting that the document is being written by "the People" OF "the United States" the authors have separated the two entities from each other.

The two entities are intertwined and co-dependent, but they are not necessarily always the same thing. Nor should they be. That's a lot of the problem with our political atmosphere in this country right now.... we have too many politicians who are more interested in their Constituents interests than in the Constitutional interests that they have sworn to protect and defend.

That's ridiculous.

Why the heck have representatives and senators if not that they represented the interests of their constituents.

It's the whole point.

I disagree. I believe the United States WAS the physical embodiment of an IDEAL. An IDEAL that we've pissed, shat, and spit on for a little more than a century and a half now.

Assuming that you are correct, then this country, it's people, and the entire human race have no value whatsoever and ought to do the rest of the world a favor by being expunged like every other virus or rodent.

Absurd.

That's ridiculous.

Why the heck have representatives and senators if not that they represented the interests of their constituents.

It's the whole point.

Mostly because some of us realize that the VAST MAJORITY of Americans DO NOT DESERVE the Rights and Freedoms they enjoy. Hell, most don't deserve the air they breathe or the skin they inhabit. If a single American in every score or citizens comprehends the difference between Right and Wrong I would be absolutely shocked.

Well, then we obviously have no need to further discuss this or any other topic. Welcome to my Ignore List.

That's ridiculous.

It's the whole point.

Mostly because some of us realize that the VAST MAJORITY of Americans DO NOT DESERVE the Rights and Freedoms they enjoy. Hell, most don't deserve the air they breathe or the skin they inhabit. If a single American in every score or citizens comprehends the difference between Right and Wrong I would be absolutely shocked.

Well, then we obviously have no need to further discuss this or any other topic. Welcome to my Ignore List.

Government like most things we are "aware" of..is a HUMAN construct. Not a divine one. It is made by humans and for humans.

It's ridiculous to spout anything other then that. Human countries are recognized by other humans. Animals which are not human..have no idea about these concepts.

That's ridiculous.

It's the whole point.

Define "Vast Majority". What people exactly don't deserve the rights & freedoms they are entitled to in this country?

Every time you post I am growing more convinced that you are a very disturbed person.

Define "Vast Majority". What people exactly don't deserve the rights & freedoms they are entitled to in this country?

On, let's say roughly 85-95% of the American population is how I would define "Vast Majority". Those individuals who I see as having a philosophy, worldview, or background contrary to what I believe to be the appropriate and decent way of being.

Every time you post I am growing more convinced that you are a very disturbed person.

Yep; and what disturbs me most is the absolutely and totally disgusting state of this country, its citizens, and the human race in general.

2.) Wanting government to regulate and filter every word on every form of media.

3.) Wanting government to regulate every marriage that a church wants to recognize.

What I think you are missing Doc is that while many of us do want some version of those things done by the Government there are a whole lot of things that the Government currently does that we would do away with.... Education, Welfare, Foreign Entanglements, HealthCare, etc.... In our minds it's much more a matter of re-focusing the Government on the small number of things that it SHOULD be focused on rather than on the broad brush of things that it currently deals with; most of which we believe are UnConstitutional to begin with.

So government should have nothing to do with education, welfare, or health but should be overseeing marriage, language censorship and horticulture? Is that what you're saying. I just want to be clear.

These are state issues not Federal Gov. issues.

On, let's say roughly 85-95% of the American population is how I would define "Vast Majority". Those individuals who I see as having a philosophy, worldview, or background contrary to what I believe to be the appropriate and decent way of being.

Yep; and what disturbs me most is the absolutely and totally disgusting state of this country, its citizens, and the human race in general.

Ahh, makes sense now. You're a lunatic, thanks for clearing that up. Anyone with a world view different of you doesn't deserve basic human rights. LOL! :cool:

I wish I would have known that you're actually insane a little sooner, could have saved myself the effort of trying to have a rational discussion with an irrational person. Oh well, live and learn.

Ahh, makes sense now. You're a lunatic, thanks for clearing that up. Anyone with a world view different of you doesn't deserve basic human rights. LOL! :cool:

That's kind of the way Right and Wrong work, isn't it? One of our biggest problems these days is that we're unwilling to make such distinctions and carry them through to their ends.

I wish I would have known that you're actually insane a little sooner, could have saved myself the effort of trying to have a rational discussion with an irrational person. Oh well, live and learn.

Look at my user name. If you have even the vaugest hint of what it means you should have realized much sooner that having any sort of conversation with me about the way things are versus the way they should be was not likely to lead to any form of common ground.

Of course I'm saying this to someone who has an avatar which shows an image of Jesus holding a dinosaur, so I shouldn't expect much common sense from you either.

1.) Wanting government to regulate the plants you grow on your property
agreed

They don't, and the Left's record is no better regarding failing to support free speech

This isn't really their position. It's about government recognized marriage. I personally oppose government recognition of gay marriage. Then again I also oppose government recognition of heterosexual marriage.

They only support small government when it suits them, you're right about that.

That's kind of the way Right and Wrong work, isn't it? One of our biggest problems these days is that we're unwilling to make such distinctions and carry them through to their ends.

Look at my user name. If you have even the vaugest hint of what it means you should have realized much sooner that having any sort of conversation with me about the way things are versus the way they should be was not likely to lead to any form of common ground.

Of course I'm saying this to someone who has an avatar which shows an image of Jesus holding a dinosaur, so I shouldn't expect much common sense from you either.

Difference is my avatar is a joke....while you're being serious.

Except that I'm neither Laughing, nor Joking.

The scalpel of Society did a very good job of surgically removing even the last, minute vestiges of my sense of humor in my youth. Being laughed AT constantly for one's physical appearance and points of view can easily do that to an individual. However, it did most certainly allow my ego to grow nice and large as I overcame their petty rantings and went on to become a successful person in my own right.

yea, this is why social conservatives are really just democrats hiding behind the bible

Good lord, it's a pot growing thread. Why don't you just label the thread as such and be open about it?

its about general freedom to do as you please as long as it does not negatively affect others

Way too much government.

Forum List

Back