Is it ok to read the Bible?

Is it ok to read the Bible?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • No.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
There is no difference between male or female humans. There are however errors in interpretation and precepts. Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus

ndeed. If they did, they wouldn't be Christians any longer.

Quick question ... how do you feel about Jews? We have several scriptures in common with the Xtians. What about Muslims?

Not sure what you mean by "how do you feel about them." I think all of the ME religions are a cancer, if that helps. The people are inherently good, but their religions are poison.

what you mean by "how do you feel about them."

I mean, do you feel as contemptuous towards them as you do towards xtians but perhaps you don't feel safe expressing it as openly?

Here, take it in context........and note, it's only referring while in church.

33For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they wish to inquire about something, they are to ask their own husbands at home; for it is dishonorable for a woman to speak in the church.…

Does this qualify?

I'm not the one saying women shouldn't speak...in church or elsewhere. I only said to take the verse in complete context cause the pic in your OP was to keep women quiet & submissive, suggesting at all times. Similar with several of the other posters comments.

As a matter of fact, I like Joyce Meyer. She's about the only one that makes any sense.

Not so sure about her making sense, but she makes a butt load of money from little old ladies who just don't have it to give.

I know she's not like a lot of tv evangelists that are constantly asking for money & trying to guilt viewers into paying up. I haven't seen her in several years, but have watched her many times in the past. About the only time she has asked for money, was to buy her books and about half the time only asked for 'any amount' donation (instead of an outrageous $ amount)........atleast she offered something in return.

Unfortunately, little old ladies have a bad tendency to hand their money over to anyone willing to take it.

I've never been to one of her Conferences, but have only seen her on tv and as stated earlier....not in several years. So my comments are to what I've seen and it's nothing when compared to many of the other tv evangelists & preachers that have basically lied to & robbed their followers under the guise of 'God's putting it on your heart to give $1,000 to help us help the poor in _______' (fill in the blank with the place of your choice). I have no doubt she is far from innocent, but some of what is said in the video seems more like false representation.

I don't think she should be held in any way responsible for an employee who murdered their family, as the video subtly suggests.

Selling products isn't a crime & goes toward funding the organization. As stated earlier, atleast she does have a 'product' (book, tape, etc) many of those types of preachers don't.....unless it's some small token gift ($5 or $10 worth) in exchange for hundreds of dollars in donation. I don't remember how much she had offered her products for, but was for more reasonable amounts. Also in the video, it does say she does help others with that funding, but I don't recall if it mentioned to what extent. The price of some of her personal items may seem extravagant to many, but compared to others is more of a drop in the bucket.
Don't get me wrong, she does spend a lot of money for personal benefit and I don't agree with that....but I don't know the whole story behind it all....and again, when compared to others in the same field, she's a small fry.

Joel Olsteen
Jimmy Swaggert
Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker
Paul & Jan Crouch.......to name a few

Here is more.....
Senate probe
In 2007, Senator Chuck Grassley (RIA) opened a probe into the finances of six televangelists who preach a “prosperity gospel“.[41] The probe is expected to investigate reports of lavish lifestyles by televangelists including: fleets of Rolls Royces, palatial mansions, private jets and other expensive items purportedly paid for by television viewers who donate due to the ministries’ encouragement of offerings. The six under investigation are:

• Creflo Dollar and Taffi Dollar of World Changers Church International and Creflo Dollar Ministries of College Park, Ga;
  • Benny Hinn of World Healing Center Church Inc. and Benny Hinn Ministries of Grapevine, Texas;
  • Eddie L. Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church and Bishop Eddie Long Ministries of Lithonia, Ga;
  • Joyce Meyer and David Meyer of Joyce Meyer Ministries of Fenton, Mo; and
  • Randy White and ex-wife Paula White of the multiracial Without Walls International Church and Paula White Ministries of Tampa

And according to Wikipedia.....

Joyce Meyer - Wikipedia

Salary and finances

Joyce Meyer used to travel in this Canadair Challenger 600S; seen here in Sydney, Australia, when she was a 'special guest' at the Hillsong Conference in July 2005. It has since been replaced by a Gulfstream G-IV (serial number 1132)
Meyer, who owns several homes and travels in a private jet (currently a Gulfstream G-IV),[9][10] has been criticized by some of her peers[who?] for living an excessive lifestyle. She responded that she doesn't have to defend her spending habits because "...there's no need for us to apologize for being blessed."[9] Meyer commented, "You can be a businessman here in St. Louis, and people think the more you have, the more wonderful it is...but if you’re a preacher, then all of a sudden it becomes a problem."[9]

In November 2003, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a four-part special report[9] detailing Meyer's "$10 million corporate jet, her husband’s $107,000 silver-gray Mercedes sedan, her $2 million home and houses worth another $2 million for her four children," a $20 million headquarters, furnished with "$5.7 million worth of furniture, artwork, glassware, and the latest equipment and machinery," including a "$30,000 malachite round table, a $23,000 marble-topped antique commode, a $14,000 custom office bookcase, a $7,000 Stations of the Cross in Dresden porcelain, a $6,300 eagle sculpture on a pedestal, another eagle made of silver bought for $5,000, and numerous paintings purchased for $1,000 to $4,000 each," among many other expensive items – all paid for by the ministry. The articles prompted Wall Watchers[11] (a Christian nonprofit watchdog group) to call on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to investigate Meyer and her family.

Following the adverse publicity about her lifestyle and Ministry Watch's request for an IRS probe, Meyer announced in 2004 plans to take a salary reduction from the $900,000 per year she had been receiving from Joyce Meyer Ministries (in addition to the $450,000 her husband received)[12] and instead personally keep more of the royalties from her outside book sales which Meyer had previously donated back to Joyce Meyer Ministries. She now retains royalties on books sold outside the ministry through retail outlets such as Walmart, Amazon.com, and bookstores, while continuing to donate to her ministry royalties from books sold through her conferences, catalogues, website, and television program.[13] "The net effect of all of this," notes Ministry Watch,[11] "was most likely a sizable increase in the personal compensation of Joyce Meyer and reduced revenues for JMM." In an article in the St. Louis Business Journal, Meyer's public relations director, Mark Sutherland, confirmed that her new income would be "way above" her previous levels.[14] Joyce Meyer Ministries says it has made a commitment to maintain transparency in financial dealings,[15] publish their annual reports,[15] have a Board majority who are not Meyer relatives[16] and submit to a voluntary annual audit.[15][17] On December 18, 2008, this ministry received a "C" grade (71–80 score) for financial transparency from Ministry Watch.[18]

Joyce Meyer Ministries was one of six investigated by the United States Senate inquiry into the tax-exempt status of religious organizations[19][20][21] by Senator Chuck Grassley. The inquiry sought to determine if Meyer made any personal profit from financial donations, asking for a detailed accounting for such things as cosmetic surgery and foreign bank accounts and citing such expenses as the $23,000 commode mentioned earlier. Grassley also requested that Meyer's ministry make the information available by December 6, 2007. In her November 29 response to Grassley, Meyer notes that the commode is a chest of drawers. Meyer writes that it was part of a large lot of items totaling $262,000 that were needed to furnish the ministry's 150,000-square-foot (14,000 m2) headquarters purchased in 2001. She said the commode's price tag was an "errant value" assigned by the selling agent and apologized for "not paying close attention to specific 'assigned values' placed on the pieces."[20] Joyce Meyer Ministries responded with a newsletter to its e-mail list subscribers on November 9, 2007. The organization referred to its annual financial reports, asserting that, in 2006, the ministry spent 82 percent of its total expenses "for outreach and program services toward reaching people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as attested by independent accounting firm Stanfield & O'Dell, LLP." The message also quoted an October 10, 2007, letter from the Internal Revenue Service which stated, "We determined that you [Joyce Meyer Ministries] continue to qualify as an organization exempt from federal income tax under IRC section 501(c)(3)." The same information was also posted to the ministry website. Joyce Meyer Ministries was one of two ministries to comply with the Senate's requests for financial records. It also made commitments to future financial transparency. Neither party were found to have done any wrongdoing.[22]

ECFA accreditation
In 2009, Joyce Meyer Ministries received accreditation from the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). In an announcement on March 12, 2009, the ECFA said that Joyce Meyer Ministries and Oral Roberts University had met their requirements of "'responsible stewardship', which involves ministries' financial accountability, transparency, board governance and fund-raising practices."[23]

buyer beware ...

the book is a duplicitous late 4th century commentary on the events of the early 1st century purposely distorting the true religion from that time. the reward for reading it is minuscule to the risk of its infliction against the Spirit as recorded throughout history.

The best verses have all been categorized here: www.evilbible.com

I still voted yes in the poll. Usually the people that act all fanatical and stupid have never read the Bible and never plan to read it.

Indeed. If they did, they wouldn't be Christians any longer.

Pat Boone claims he has read the Bible 28 times over the last 28 years. He still claims to be a Christian.

Christians lie. A lot.

Christians are human......not perfect.

Some of the worst people I have met, attend church and some of the best have never been.

I couldn't find anyone here who believes the bible is true, so it seems like if you read the bible, you'll be hard pressed to find it believable.

In order to understand world history in general, and western history in particular, it is essential to have familiarity with what we call 'the Bible' (there being many versions and much debate over them). In this historical context, it should definitely be studied in school, albeit in a strict manner and entirely connected to events and consequences. Also, much of art demands biblical familiarity in order to be understood and interpreted.

In order to understand world history in general, and western history in particular, it is essential to have familiarity with what we call 'the Bible' (there being many versions and much debate over them). In this historical context, it should definitely be studied in school, albeit in a strict manner and entirely connected to events and consequences. Also, much of art demands biblical familiarity in order to be understood and interpreted.
Except that none of the big things can be proven to have happened in the bible, so as a historical document, it gets an F.

Except that none of the big things can be proven to have happened in the bible, so as a historical document, it gets an F.
The reference was to the effects of the Bible on world events, not what it records as having happened. Nonetheless, it was biblical information that led to the re-discovery of ancient ruins of otherwise mostly forgotten civilizations.

The reference was to the effects of the Bible on world events, not what it records as having happened. Nonetheless, it was biblical information that led to the re-discovery of ancient ruins of otherwise mostly forgotten civilizations.
So basically, a course that just dumps on the bible, only stopping occasionally to point out some old pottery shards.

I couldn't find anyone here who believes the bible is true, so it seems like if you read the bible, you'll be hard pressed to find it believable.
It is true, again it is by interpretation. If you seek to understand it without that holy spirit that guides you then simply follow those eleven commandments. Some day you'll have a eureka moment on the pieces and parts you need to know. If you remain in denial you won't get there.

It is true, again it is by interpretation. If you seek to understand it without that holy spirit that guides you then simply follow those eleven commandments. Some day you'll have a eureka moment on the pieces and parts you need to know. If you remain in denial you won't get there.
Was the world made in 6 days? No. Was there a worldwide flood? No. Did Jesus really turn water into wine? No... and on and on... So I can't interpret it as written? That's laughable, brah.

It is OK to read the Bible........As long as you don't take it seriously

Forum List

Back