Is it fair to smoke around other people?

• Yes. It does them no harm.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No. Never, unless they say they don't mind.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Not around kids but around adults it's okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Depends, If they are in my domain they will live by my rules. In their domain I go by their rules.
In a more neutral setting I evaluate each situation individually and act accordingly.

I am always amazed to see people lighting up around other people as if their smoke was something everyone would want to have to breathe.

I think nicotine junkies must be in major denial. They can't all be assholes. Not all of them.

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads. I didn't vote in your poll because your poll is rather one-sided. I think that clearly displays your attitude towards smokers.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

I'd say the second two choices combined.
I should have made it multiple choice. I think it's somewhat okay to smoke around adults who say they don't mind it but even so, you are still harming them nonetheless and many people are too timid to object even if they really don't like it.
If I were a smoker I would only do it where no one would have to suffer from it. I would not do it around pets either.

I use to smoke around other people who wished that I didn't but I did it anyway. :redface:

"Fair" depends on the situation, I guess.

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads.
If non smokers weren't buttheads ( aren't the smokers actually the "butt-heads? :lol: ), do you think smokers would have ever gotten a clue about being considerate?

I use to smoke around other people who wished that I didn't but I did it anyway. :redface:

"Fair" depends on the situation, I guess.
I smoked for a while when I was a teenager and early twenties and though I don't think I intentionally smoked around people who wished I didn't, I know that I must have many times. My roommate at the time told me afterward that he was so glad I had quit. I felt so bad because it never occurred to me that the smoke bothered him because his best friend always smoked around him too.

Thoughts?

It depends.
If I invite you to my house and you come over knowing I smoke, then yes, I can smoke around you.
If you invite me over to your house and you don't want me to smoke, then I shouldn't and I won't.
So if your guest asked you not to smoke you would keep on doing it anyway?

Thoughts?
Smoking around non-smokers (excluding those who state they do not mind) is extremely rude, as you're exposing them to poisons they wish to avoid and can easily cause headaches, nausea, and other ill-being in that person.

Excceptions include smoking establishment and your own home, where it is decision to be in an environment where smoking is prevalent.

Thoughts?

It depends.
If I invite you to my house and you come over knowing I smoke, then yes, I can smoke around you.
If you invite me over to your house and you don't want me to smoke, then I shouldn't and I won't.

My house, my rules.
I don't smoke when my mother visits, but everybody else has to accept it. They can always leave. Their choice.

Thoughts?

It depends.

depends, if there is a medical reason aside from it being bad for you. I would stop.

Otherwise I would give disapproving look and likely go to another room to finish my smoke.
Leaving them to consider their actions.
I consider it kinda rude to go to anothers home and tell them what they can and cannot do in it.

Of course smoking is a good way to run off pesky Jehovas witnesses and sales people.

It depends.

My house, my rules.
I don't smoke when my mother visits, but everybody else has to accept it. They can always leave. Their choice.

Oh, another thing.
My youngest daughter still drives a car I paid for and still cover taxes and registration on while she is in college. I don't smoke in "her" car (on the few occasions that she drives).

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads.
If non smokers weren't buttheads ( aren't the smokers actually the "butt-heads? :lol: ), do you think smokers would have ever gotten a clue about being considerate?

Nobody can be a complete ass the way a ex-smoker or an ex-drinker can be.

It depends.

My house, my rules.
You are the hostess with the mostest.
May I commend you on your hospitality.

It depends.

depends, if there is a medical reason aside from it being bad for you. I would stop.
Not sure what you mean? What does being bad for you mean if not a medical thing?
Otherwise I would give disapproving look and likely go to another room to finish my smoke.
Leaving them to consider their actions.
I consider it kinda rude to go to anothers home and tell them what they can and cannot do in it.

Of course smoking is a good way to run off pesky Jehovas witnesses and sales people.

Forum List

Back