Is it fair to smoke around other people?

Is it fair to smoke around other people?

• Yes. It does them no harm.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No. Never, unless they say they don't mind.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Not around kids but around adults it's okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am always amazed to see people lighting up around other people as if their smoke was something everyone would want to have to breathe.

I think nicotine junkies must be in major denial. They can't all be assholes. Not all of them.

they aren't.

and wtf? what in life is fair anyway.

we had and will have those anti-smoking laws here too.

i will vote against it. and i am a non-smoker who likes to go into a pub without smelling like an ashtray the next day. but i rather take the second hand smoke than smelling the plastic-sweat of the dancers in the club. well my club days are over anyway. but seriously, even you would want to smoke something to get rid of this polyester-sour-aroma.
the reason i will vote against a zero-tolerance smoking ban as will be put up here, is that i think it is about, haha, personal responsibility. you don't like the pub where they smoke, find another or go fuck yourself. we have enough no-smoking establishments here.

So if your guest asked you not to smoke you would keep on doing it anyway?

My house, my rules.
I don't smoke when my mother visits, but everybody else has to accept it. They can always leave. Their choice.

Oh, another thing.
My youngest daughter still drives a car I paid for and still cover taxes and registration on while she is in college. I don't smoke in "her" car (on the few occasions that she drives).
Do you smoke around children?

Stop being oblique.
It means if they have asthma or somesuch afflictrion that smoking will aggravate in the short term not kill them with cancer in 40 years.

My house, my rules.
I don't smoke when my mother visits, but everybody else has to accept it. They can always leave. Their choice.

Oh, another thing.
My youngest daughter still drives a car I paid for and still cover taxes and registration on while she is in college. I don't smoke in "her" car (on the few occasions that she drives).

Yes--they need to know that great people have habits too

Do you live next to a high traffic roadway with children?
It has been proven to stunt their lungs and increase respiratory problems by more than double.

Last edited:
My house, my rules.

Oh, another thing.

My children are 19 and 21, so yes.

My father smoked non-filter cigarettes for over 25 years, drink at least a half-case of beer every night, and put gravy on just about everything he ate. He slept for about 4 hours a night and hardly ever on the weekends. He lived to be 47 so what's the problem with a cigarette now and then. Holy cow. Lighten up.

My father smoked non-filter cigarettes for over 25 years, drink at least a half-case of beer every night, and put gravy on just about everything he ate. He slept for about 4 hours a night and hardly ever on the weekends. He lived to be 47 so what's the problem with a cigarette now and then. Holy cow. Lighten up.

Bad genes.

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads. I didn't vote in your poll because your poll is rather one-sided. I think that clearly displays your attitude towards smokers.

they aren't.

i will vote against it. and i am a non-smoker who likes to go into a pub without smelling like an ashtray the next day. but i rather take the second hand smoke than smelling the plastic-sweat of the dancers in the club. well my club days are over anyway. but seriously, even you would want to smoke something to get rid of this polyester-sour-aroma.
the reason i will vote against a zero-tolerance smoking ban as will be put up here, is that i think it is about, haha, personal responsibility. you don't like the pub where they smoke, find another or go fuck yourself. we have enough no-smoking establishments here.

You do what you want with your house, I'll do what I want with mine.

These three answers sum it up for me.

I do everything in my power to not to smoke around others unless they are smokers or just don't have a problem with it, it's my vice, not theirs. I wont smoke just outside a door, I'll go around the corner if I have to. I don't smoke in my house, I smoke in my "office", the garage.
Now if I have made every attempt to accommodate non smokers and some idiot comes up to me and creates an issue then that asshole will get a face full of smoke and if he refuses to let up then a face full of fist, I've had it happen before. I didn't blow smoke in his face or hit him but I wanted to. I simply indicated the current noise level in the vicinity and indicated he could help reduce this "noise pollution" by keeping his opinions to himself, that did the trick, he walked of in huff.

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads.
If non smokers weren't buttheads ( aren't the smokers actually the "butt-heads? :lol: ), do you think smokers would have ever gotten a clue about being considerate?

Nobody can be a complete ass the way a ex-smoker or an ex-drinker can be.
I'm sure you will be a worse one when you quit. :lol:

I believe it's true that ex smokers often find it harder than to bear the smell of cigarette smoke because we often have become allergic to it after so much self-inflicted exposure to it. But in my own experience, the most outspoken anti smoking types are divided equally among ex smokers and those who have never done it. For a long while after quitting I did not speak up when people smoked around me because I felt guilty about my own past digressions. Then I finally couldn't take it anymore. Now I don't put up with it anymore. I have only one close friend who still smokes. All the rest have quit. He is a considerate smoker. He goes outside to smoke if he knows it will bother his guests and will always sit downwind from me if we are outside. Even so, he still makes people sick from his smoke because he lives in a very densely populated part of the city he lives in. In spite of all his efforts I and others find it hard to visit him for more than a few days. Which is a shame because he is well loved and loves to have people around.

I am always amazed to see people lighting up around other people as if their smoke was something everyone would want to have to breathe.

I think nicotine junkies must be in major denial. They can't all be assholes. Not all of them.

they aren't.

I know that smell and bad as it is I prefer it to cigarette smoke.

My father lived to be 47. Did not smoke or drink. was not overweight.

Bad genes.
I have already outlived him by close to 20 years.
I smoke, virtually do not drink though

Do you live next to a high traffic roadway with children?
It has been proven to stunt their lungs and increase respiratory problems by more than double.
Straw man. Cigarettes serve no purpose. Cars do.
But car emissions are regulated and regulations will continue to get more stringent. Just like those concerning cigarette smoke.

I would say that depends on where you are and the situation. For example. My wife has asthma and smoking bothers her. For that reason, I do not smoke inside the house or in our vehicles. If we are outside, and there is a breeze, if I want to smoke, I smoke, but downwind so it isn't a problem for her. I don't smoke in front of my friends that I know that it offends. On the other hand, most of my friends know that I am aware if my smoking offends them and we make the situation bearable for all concerned. When visiting them, they know if I decide to go outside to "check the weather out" that I'm going outside to smoke and they carry on without me until I return. I agree that smokers have a need to be sensitive to the needs of others but non-smokers also need to just lighten up and not be such buttheads. I didn't vote in your poll because your poll is rather one-sided. I think that clearly displays your attitude towards smokers.

Well, I voted in the poll but I think you have it right. As long as your smoking doesn't bother anyone, it's your life. That said, my mother and aunt died of lung cancer. I remember them chain smoking and saying their father smoked all his life and lived to be 85, why should they be worried? We'll neither one of them made it to the age their father was when he died. I miss my mom and my aunt.

If non smokers weren't buttheads ( aren't the smokers actually the "butt-heads? :lol: ), do you think smokers would have ever gotten a clue about being considerate?

Nobody can be a complete ass the way a ex-smoker or an ex-drinker can be.
I'm sure you will be a worse one when you quit. :lol:

I believe it's true that ex smokers often find it harder than to bear the smell of cigarette smoke because we often have become allergic to it after so much self-inflicted exposure to it. But in my own experience, the most outspoken anti smoking types are divided equally among ex smokers and those who have never done it. For a long while after quitting I did not speak up when people smoked around me because I felt guilty about my own past digressions. Then I finally couldn't take it anymore. Now I don't put up with it anymore. I have only one close friend who still smokes. All the rest have quit. He is a considerate smoker. He goes outside to smoke if he knows it will bother his guests and will always sit downwind from me if we are outside. Even so, he still makes people sick from his smoke because he lives in a very densely populated part of the city he lives in. In spite of all his efforts I and others find it hard to visit him for more than a few days. Which is a shame because he is well loved and loves to have people around.

Your empathy for him is underwhelming. He probably uses smoking as his personal crowd control mechanism.

Forum List

Back