Is it enough?

rifle has the advantage over pistol
still--you can overcome this possibly with good tactics

You know what I'd probably be good with? A high-cap Ruger .22 target. I have very good reaction time, better than most.

I used to think so. Now, I'm thinking like C_Clayton_Jones , higher capacity, larger caliber.

I've got my eye on a 40 S&W 10+1. But, I've been reading quite a bit, and may just move to a 147 grain JHP +p from Federal. My current EDC is +p rated.

I am just not cool with carrying a chambered automatic.

Condition 2.
One in the pipe with the hammer down.
I prefer this condition.
If you're in a hurry you can pull through the double action on your first shot and you're immediately into single action in the rounds that follow.
Or if you have the time you can draw back the hammer and be in single action right off the bat.

Best of both worlds.

You know what I'd probably be good with? A high-cap Ruger .22 target. I have very good reaction time, better than most.

I used to think so. Now, I'm thinking like C_Clayton_Jones , higher capacity, larger caliber.

I've got my eye on a 40 S&W 10+1. But, I've been reading quite a bit, and may just move to a 147 grain JHP +p from Federal. My current EDC is +p rated.

Condition 2.
I prefer this condition.
If you're in a hurry you can pull through the double action on your first shot and you're immediately into single action in the rounds that follow.
Or if you have the time you can draw back the hammer and be in single action right off the bat.

Best of both worlds.

I don't trust it. I think it could be banged and go off.

I carry revolver with hammer on empty chamber.

Condition 2.
I prefer this condition.

Best of both worlds.

I don't trust it. I think it could be banged and go off.

I carry revolver with hammer on empty chamber.

With modern semis it's not an issue.
You could wack the hammer with a hammer on my FNX Tactical and it wont go off due to the firing pin block. Look for semi autos with a decocker lever. On my FNX you have safe,live and decock.
You can push the lever down from the live position with a round in the chamber and the hammer will fall activating the pin block.

You either have to pull through the double action with the trigger or pull back the hammer back for it to fire.

rifle has the advantage over pistol
still--you can overcome this possibly with good tactics

This is true...but this guy was at a severe disadvantage due to the layout of the building.

There was a courtyard walkway and a long hall. The attacker was bottlenecked. He started shooting from outside at least 5 shots...he is the red dot. He shot a person right inside the door in the hall first (yellow dot) from where the red dot is and emptied the shotgun there. That victim had no warning and no chance IMO. There were open doors to those two rooms on either side of the hall, and he shot people in both...but I don't think he ever entered them or cleared them. The blue dots represent the worshippers. This was roughly their initial distribution when the shooting started. The victims in those anterooms had very little chance to react... maybe a second or two to hide.

But, if someone in the main worship area had been armed, there is an excellent chance they could have made a defensive stand. The shooter walked right down that hall and into the main worship area as nonchalantly as if he was supposed to be there. He just stepped right into basicly the middle of the room without even so much as a hint of caution. He was at his most vulnerable, at least as far as while inside the building.

He would shoot in the main room, then move about half way down the hall to reload, then back into the main room to shoot again. One of the victims ambushed him at the corner of the hall and the main room, just like an armed defender should have. But the defender was unarmed. He managed to takle the attacker, but was shot.

The attacker later went out of the building the way he entered and continue to shoot outside by the road (which is at the end of the courtyard walkway on the right side of the diagram).

He was vulnerable here also, to a Samaritan using their vehicle as an offensive weapon. But IMO there is a high probability the Samaritan would be killed as well.

That's how I remember the video. I really don't want to watch it again, so I'm not going to. If I was mistaken in some detail, feel free to correct me. Excuse my crappy diagram.

Edit- The shooter was a little closer when he initially opened fire with the shogun...about halfway down the courtyard walkway.

Screenshot_20190318-164636_crop_816x509-408x255.jpg

Last edited:
where can I watch the video ?

I'll caution you not to watch...it is absolutely horrific...but, imo, there are important defensive lessons to be learned by watching. If you are sure you wish to see it, pm me and I will send you a link.

remember the North Hollywood shootout where the shooters had homemade vest

40 pounds of body armor that included a groin guard, military canteen pouches, and several pieces of homemade body armor that covered his shins, thighs, and forearms. While Mătăsăreanu forewent the heavy body armor, he did indulge himself in a metal trauma plate that protected his vital organs throughout the firefight.
The North Hollywood Shootout Was The Most Violent Modern Bank Robbery

40 lbs is a lot...we had very old ''flak'' jackets in the early 80s for guard duty
then after that we got the Kevlar -super light

Supporting the mass Murder of Muslims is no different than all the Muslims who support the mass murder of infidels.

The best way to prove our culture is better is to NOT be like the worst of them.
Not supporting murder of any kind. I'm speaking as a defender.

You would literally need a one-shot-stop to end that threat. FIBSA or FIBS factor isn't going to deter this type the way it might end a threat from a typical criminal.

No it isn’t. The district I work for has weapons located in low profile, but easily accessed location that the school resource officers can access. Those lockers each have one 12 gauge shot gun and one M-16 among other goodies. With those came falling gates that can be activated if the worst ever happened.

Forum List

Back