Is farenheight 451 taking place?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Taking place in a different form.
Barnes and Noble up for sale. Digital books, Kindles.

How easy will it be to manipulate content in digital books. Just subltle things at first.....
Or to just ban em in a heartbeat on the net?

If you cannot get rid of something, shape it to your purposes?

Yes many will still have books, but the masses will go with the digital ones and believe what is in them.

The masses don't buy books right now. Most book purchases are by a small portion of the population.

I have a massive library.
Abouit 100 feet of floor to ceiling shelves.

And only about 40 feet of it is drivel Scifi stuff :)

So do Mr. Boe and I. We have thousands of books, with 20% of them being Sci Fi. Big sections include Military History, History, Biography, Literature, Economics, Philosophy...and Gun History (one of his pet projects).

I also keep dozens of cook books in the kitchen.

It is easier to manipulate print books. They come from limited numbers of publishers who have the resources to print and distribute them. They could be manipulated in any way the publisher liked.

Electronic books can be provided by any of hundreds of millions of people across the globe with internet connections, and individuals without a great deal of resources can provide an unedited version of an ebook very easily, where providing the same thing in print form would be quite difficult.

I have no concerns about digital content being available. Mo Content = Mo Bettah.

It is easier to manipulate print books. They come from limited numbers of publishers who have the resources to print and distribute them. They could be manipulated in any way the publisher liked.

Electronic books can be provided by any of hundreds of millions of people across the globe with internet connections, and individuals without a great deal of resources can provide an unedited version of an ebook very easily, where providing the same thing in print form would be quite difficult.

they can just as easially provide an edited e-book.

I have a massive library.
Abouit 100 feet of floor to ceiling shelves.

And only about 40 feet of it is drivel Scifi stuff :)

My dad was like that, but his library eventually overflowed to storerooms. He kept every book he bought. He was a tad OCD. While I read extensively, fiction and non, I've done my best not to let the collection get out of hand. If the book isn't a signed first edition, it gets passed on to friends or charities.

True. But there will be many other sources available to provide the unedited content. If a single print publisher provides an edited book, and no one else is printing that book, then there's not much that can be done.

If you are worried about censorship, then limited sources for given information is more dangerous than many, many sources.

True. But there will be many other sources available to provide the unedited content. If a single print publisher provides an edited book, and no one else is printing that book, then there's not much that can be done.

If you are worried about censorship, then limited sources for given information is more dangerous than many, many sources.

Our system limits the number of sources. Copyrights, distribution contracts, etc.

The reason for the limitation is irrelevant to this particular point, though. The fact that it exists make it more susceptible to censorship. And even without our system, people with the resources to produce print publications will still be more limited than those who can make ebooks.

That's true as well. But print volumes are finite in number and harder to distribute (and if you give away a print book, then you no longer have it). Me, I'm less concerned about censorship with ebooks. Electronic information is hard, if not impossible, to tie down. Which is why copyright owners (musical content, etc.) really seem to hate it. Physical distribution is much easier to control.

Copyright laws are the same for electonic media, if you give it away you no longer have it.

I'm not talking about copyright law. If you give away a book, you no longer have a copy of that book (unless you've scanned it or something I guess, which most don't do). If I send someone a copy of an ebook via the internet, I still have a copy. That's the default for electronic files.

Anyone remember RollerBall (?)( the james cann version or the Harrison novel). Zero an all knowing all encompassing computer loses the 13th century, as in all references to it etc. There aren’t books anymore, just memory banks that spit out what you want digitally. EMP, accident etc. if we lose print and in 50 years we may well have, what then? Who knows it fun to conjecture though.

I am a book fan as well, I tried kindle and the Sony reader, there is no substitute for a book in hand, maybe its just that I , we, have been trained as tactile beings to respond favorably to that inpiut and handling.

It will take a long time to change that paradigm, but with the advent of laptops, better phones, audio visual aids, it will eventually happen.

Copyright laws are the same for electonic media, if you give it away you no longer have it.

I'm not talking about copyright law. If you give away a book, you no longer have a copy of that book (unless you've scanned it or something I guess, which most don't do). If I send someone a copy of an ebook via the internet, I still have a copy. That's the default for electronic files.

Copyright law enforcement on net material will improve to the point that automatic monitoring systems will issue alerts to the copyright holder everytime a copyright is comprimised. this alert will include information on both the source and recipient involved in the infringement.

Nothing on the net is private and records are kept.

Once something is in print it is there forever. E docs can always be modified.

Nothing physical is there forever. Printed books and papers are deteriorating all the time. Eventually most books will just disappear and only digital copies will exist that have been “edited” or censured. And this editing and censorship will continue throughout history. Today one facet of this is called revisionist history. Eventually they will start to rewrite the classics into a more “Modern” form, like Shakespeare.

Once something is in print it is there forever. E docs can always be modified.

Nothing physical is there forever. Printed books and papers are deteriorating all the time. Eventually most books will just disappear and only digital copies will exist that have been “edited” or censured. And this editing and censorship will continue throughout history. Today one facet of this is called revisionist history. Eventually they will start to rewrite the classics into a more “Modern” form, like Shakespeare.

Yeah nothing is literally forever.

And rewrite classics like the bible too.
How many versions do we now have?

I think you still get my point though.

Forum List

Back