Is farenheight 451 taking place?

Copyright laws are the same for electonic media, if you give it away you no longer have it.

I'm not talking about copyright law. If you give away a book, you no longer have a copy of that book (unless you've scanned it or something I guess, which most don't do). If I send someone a copy of an ebook via the internet, I still have a copy. That's the default for electronic files.

Copyright law enforcement on net material will improve to the point that automatic monitoring systems will issue alerts to the copyright holder everytime a copyright is comprimised. this alert will include information on both the source and recipient involved in the infringement.

Nothing on the net is private and records are kept.

And within a day somebody will find a way to circumvent it.

I have a massive library.
Abouit 100 feet of floor to ceiling shelves.

And only about 40 feet of it is drivel Scifi stuff :)

My dad was like that, but his library eventually overflowed to storerooms. He kept every book he bought. He was a tad OCD. While I read extensively, fiction and non, I've done my best not to let the collection get out of hand. If the book isn't a signed first edition, it gets passed on to friends or charities.

Old encyclopdias are fun. It's funny how societal norms sneak into and out of the accepted knowledge of any particular time.

The changability of the Wiki kind of fluidity in our knowledge is nice in its constant update, but the timepiece nature of the documents is lost.

I'm not talking about copyright law. If you give away a book, you no longer have a copy of that book (unless you've scanned it or something I guess, which most don't do). If I send someone a copy of an ebook via the internet, I still have a copy. That's the default for electronic files.

Copyright law enforcement on net material will improve to the point that automatic monitoring systems will issue alerts to the copyright holder everytime a copyright is comprimised. this alert will include information on both the source and recipient involved in the infringement.

Nothing on the net is private and records are kept.

And within a day somebody will find a way to circumvent it.

The laws and punishments will catch up with the crimes.
the ability to do things on the net without being tracked are dissapearing and will continue to do so.

I have a massive library.
Abouit 100 feet of floor to ceiling shelves.

And only about 40 feet of it is drivel Scifi stuff :)

How many signed first editions do you have USC?

Perhaps a couple dozen?
I am not a status collector, I just like books.
I got my first library card at 5.
I have one from the 19th century on Yellow fever, and a few other really old ones.
I have mostly reference and fiction works.
I have more science fiction than any library I have been in.
I have the complete works of Andre Norton and several other sci fi authors.

The laws and punishments will catch up with the crimes.
the ability to do things on the net without being tracked are dissapearing and will continue to do so.

Even if we assume this is true, it doesn't support the initial point. It will still always be easier to control a handful of print publishers, should one wish to do so, than to control untold numbers of individuals distributing materials electronically.

DUDE/DUDETTES,

we are so FUCKED...

Do you honestly believe that MSM can't change EVERYTHING???

Including HISTORY?

Including LITERATURE?

Let's just see which books get burnt, shall we?

If you didn't read them, in the First Place,

you'll just never know,

will you?

THAT's how it is for us. That's what coming for us. READ. DOWNLOAD. SAVE IN A BACKUP.

It won't be around for too much longer, eh!

Taking place in a different form.
Barnes and Noble up for sale. Digital books, Kindles.

How easy will it be to manipulate content in digital books. Just subltle things at first.....
Or to just ban em in a heartbeat on the net?

If you cannot get rid of something, shape it to your purposes?

Yes many will still have books, but the masses will go with the digital ones and believe what is in them.
You've made an important observation here and it's something to give a lot of thought to.

So do Mr. Boe and I. We have thousands of books, with 20% of them being Sci Fi. Big sections include Military History, History, Biography, Literature, Economics, Philosophy...and Gun History (one of his pet projects).

I also keep dozens of cook books in the kitchen.

i use to hoard books....i love them....cant handle the digits stuff...i like to dog ear pages etc...

a friend of mine died...he had about 10 k worth of books....when he died his widow had to do something with the books....do your family a favor....dont hoard them...pass them on....i donate my books to claws & paws a local giftshop for the humane

Taking place in a different form.
Barnes and Noble up for sale. Digital books, Kindles.

How easy will it be to manipulate content in digital books. Just subltle things at first.....
Or to just ban em in a heartbeat on the net?

If you cannot get rid of something, shape it to your purposes?

Yes many will still have books, but the masses will go with the digital ones and believe what is in them.

You're a fool.

You depended upon folks to READ,

AND think.

I'm so sorry.

You lose.

You'll have to associate with ACTUAL peeps to get your answer to this.

For me?

Yes.

I read,

I've thought,

and we're approaching critical mass.

Like any Iranian or Chinese government official could probably tell you, it'd be much easier to ban a printed book than anything online. You'd be surprised how many holes are in those "internet black holes;" my good buddy just spent about a month in China and one of the things he told me before leaving was "Well, I won't be able to be in touch often, Facebook is banned in China" ... Hadn't been gone 5 days when I started seeing him online every day. There's several ways to get around all sorts of banned websites. The internet is anathema to the authoritarian states of today.

I was speaking more about modifying than banning.
Although your point is valid on the banning.

It is easier to manipulate print books. They come from limited numbers of publishers who have the resources to print and distribute them. They could be manipulated in any way the publisher liked.

Electronic books can be provided by any of hundreds of millions of people across the globe with internet connections, and individuals without a great deal of resources can provide an unedited version of an ebook very easily, where providing the same thing in print form would be quite difficult.

they can just as easially provide an edited e-book.

Any publication that is put out by a publisher is edited, whether it's a book, magazine article, whatever. It's been happening since forever. Is there something causing you additional concern now, as opposed to earlier times?

Forum List

Back