Is Cultural Diversity a Strength or a Weakness?

• Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It doesnt matter that the numbers increased, that only speaks to how the originating issue exascerbates itself.

It cant be racism that's increased. Scratch that theory. Must be culture. And isn't it funny how a poor migrant child from some far off violent/impoverished Asian country, or perhaps Africa, can succeed where poor American blacks cannot? Why? The culture values education more.

Poor blacks can succeed, poor.migrants from impoverished backgrounds can fail. This is not a point. Quit it.

Are you disagreeing with the premise that the children of poor legal Asian migrants out perform blacks as a whole in education? Hell, the Vietnamese owned dang near half of Southern California after they fled from Saigon. They did it in one generation. What's the excuse for African Americans?

Culture.

Back to the OP. Depends, of course. Here it is strength as the changing demography culturally and religiously removes some bad characteristics of the past while introducing good ones.

In order for those "good ones" (characteristics) to be adopted, however, a culture must be liberal enough to understand their value and absorb them. The culturally conservative do not do this.

The percentage of these types to the growing population diminishes annually in significant enough numbers that the resistance is futile.

Back to the OP. Depends, of course. Here it is strength as the changing demography culturally and religiously removes some bad characteristics of the past while introducing good ones.

In order for those "good ones" (characteristics) to be adopted, however, a culture must be liberal enough to understand their value and absorb them. The culturally conservative do not do this.

The percentage of these types to the growing population diminishes annually in significant enough numbers that the resistance is futile.

Blacks and Hispanics are conservative cultures. Well over 200 years in the US African Americans still have not adjusted their culture to a liberal status. Next year Hispanics will be the largest minority in the United States. Combine the two and you will find cultural conservatism growing, not shrinking, at a much faster rate than more liberal American cultures.

I can be homeys with ya and all. Our disagreements dont have to chap our love making.

Now i just pity you. Good day.

If you truly had pity for the misinformed you would show them the error of their ways. Else the above statement just becomes a convenient excuse to flee.

No, im moreso disinterested at this point. Theres no "coming around," so to speak. Its a headache.

Facts have the tendency to do that to people that disagree with them.

Cultural diversity is a default feature of any colonial society, where immigrants from different parts of the world live together, and efforts have been made to make a multicultural society as workable as possible. The issue is less relevant in a country where one ethnic group makes up over 90% of the population and a dominant ethnic group can impose their culture on ethnic minorities or foreign residents in a homogeneous society. America's ethnic diversity can be its strength when it comes to sporting events and multicultural nations such as Russia and the US usually dominate the Olympics. But a multicultural setting in education can be a disadvantage as extra resources are needed to accommodate different cultural groups with special needs and homogeneous countries such as Finland and Japan usually outperform their multi-ethnic counterparts academically in international exams (i.e. the Program for International Student Assessment.)

Last edited:
First you have to define "cultural diversity" as you are thinking of it here, and then define "strength" and "weakness" as you imagine it applying to the topic.

There is nothing wrong with an open ended question. It allows for people to interpret what the subject means for themselves and address it accordingly. I don't need to define anything and it amazes me how you took the time to inform me of what I "have" to do as if I asked for or valued your opinion on how to ask a question. The question is: "Is Diversity a Strength or a Weakness?" I understand the value of narrowing the parameters via definitions and specifics. To begin with, however, I purposely made the question broad as to see where it would lead and how people would apply it. Thanks for the advice, although, there are certainly alternative ways of addressing the issue you raised without immediately making the thread about scope and parameters. Well there you have it. You have my intent, you have my ends, you know that I do not value your advice, you know that I am not going to change the thread, and you know that I wish to comment no further on anything other than the merits of the question as defined by those who post here. Hopefully you will understand that this means the debate on the subject you raised has ended. Of course, something is telling me that would be asking for too much. Prove me right in 10, 9, 8, ..........

You're Killing Mr. Pedantic.

Define "Is."

:eusa_hand:

I'll dispense with the idiocy, and assume we all know what "culture" is, and the difference between a "strength" and "weakness."

Socially, humans are successful only because they are adaptable. Adaptability is our key strength.

So anything that increases our adaptability makes us stronger. Since we cannot predict the future, then we cannot pick and choose which cultural traits will permit society to be best prepared for this uncertainty.

Thus the stronger culture is the most diverse culture.

First you have to define "cultural diversity" as you are thinking of it here, and then define "strength" and "weakness" as you imagine it applying to the topic.

There is nothing wrong with an open ended question. It allows for people to interpret what the subject means for themselves and address it accordingly. I don't need to define anything and it amazes me how you took the time to inform me of what I "have" to do as if I asked for or valued your opinion on how to ask a question. The question is: "Is Diversity a Strength or a Weakness?" I understand the value of narrowing the parameters via definitions and specifics. To begin with, however, I purposely made the question broad as to see where it would lead and how people would apply it. Thanks for the advice, although, there are certainly alternative ways of addressing the issue you raised without immediately making the thread about scope and parameters. Well there you have it. You have my intent, you have my ends, you know that I do not value your advice, you know that I am not going to change the thread, and you know that I wish to comment no further on anything other than the merits of the question as defined by those who post here. Hopefully you will understand that this means the debate on the subject you raised has ended. Of course, something is telling me that would be asking for too much. Prove me right in 10, 9, 8, ..........

Define "Is."

I'll dispense with the idiocy, and assume we all know what "culture" is, and the difference between a "strength" and "weakness."

Socially, humans are successful only because they are adaptable. Adaptability is our key strength.

So anything that increases our adaptability makes us stronger. Since we cannot predict the future, then we cannot pick and choose which cultural traits will permit society to be best prepared for this uncertainty.

You're kidding? Another person asking the same questions and expecting different answers? Or are you seriously posting in the hopes that I will change my mind? Indeed, perhaps you should have read a little further before making that statement. If I had defined it people would have argued over definition. If this thread has taught me anything it is that.

Last edited:

Define "Is."

"Thus the stronger culture is the most diverse culture."

I depends on the culture.

Well over 200 years in the US African Americans still have not adjusted their culture to a liberal status.

You're an idiot. African Americans have arguably been forced by circumstances more than any other Americans to adjust to many dramatic cultural changes over time. And it's pretty hard to fault any people for not adapting to the dominant culture when for so long that dominant culture has rejected and excluded them; often through law, violence, and macro-social isolation.

Define "Is."

Deep thoughts.

I won't waist more time with anyone who cannot explain what "It" is.

You have to realize that the first usage of the word culture was to dispense sophisticated bigotry towards a group of people who were considered primitive by Europeans particularly English. Once you realize that then it is not hard to see why some people love to beat others with it; the word was specifically designed for it.

Well over 200 years in the US African Americans still have not adjusted their culture to a liberal status.

You're an idiot. African Americans have arguably been forced by circumstances more than any other Americans to adjust to many dramatic cultural changes over time. And it's pretty hard to fault any people for not adapting to the dominant culture when for so long that dominant culture has rejected and excluded them; often through law, violence, and macro-social isolation.

So as those social conditions have improved, what excuse do you have for the destruction of the black family and increase in black unemployment?

Define "Is."

Deep thoughts.

I won't waist more time with anyone who cannot explain what "It" is.

Having done so already I see no need to do it again Mr. Johnny come lately.

You have to realize that the first usage of the word culture was to dispense sophisticated bigotry towards a group of people who were considered primitive by Europeans particularly English. Once you realize that then it is not hard to see why some people love to beat others with it; the word was specifically designed for it.

I've got it. According to you culture does not exist and anyone who declares otherwise is a bigot.

Forum List

Back