Is America A Christian Nation?

All I can say is who knows how many of us Atheists are out there.

In A Congress Full Of Firsts, Still No Open Atheists | HuffPost

There are certainly some liars in the government. We make up like 30% of the population yet not one openly atheist member of the government?

It's our turn to come out of the closet and I think you will all be surprised how many of us there are.

Ding

Obama was obviously an atheists. Black Liberation Theology is not Christianity, but Marxism under the cover of the Church.
So all those black Baptist churches aren’t Christianity?

Not if they are practicing Black Liberation Theology, as Rev Wright was.
I’m sure if you examined every other sect you’d find things that you think makes them all not really Christianity.

Pro choice, being baptized as babies, women priests, gays in the pews, worshiping a pope. I hear Christians on here saying Catholics aren’t real Christians. You’re all ridiculous

Gimme a break on your judgement of what is and isn’t a Christian. You’re all Christians. A big bag of nuts.

It's been a while since I researched it, but the BLT, is very far off the reservation.

It is more about Marx than Christ.
It’s probably more about filling the hat than anything else just like your spin off

Nonsense. Only the people who don’t have the materials are sour about materialism.

Ok so it makes a lot of people feel good. Better about themselves. Better about their bad situation. Rather than do something about it they pray
uh huh. Keep telling yourself that.

You are so desperate for people to be atheists you gave winterborn a hall pass for denying he was a materialist. :lol:
The only thing that matters is love. If you have people that love you it doesn’t matter if you believe in the man upstairs
Attila the Hun had people that loved him. So did Hitler, Stalin and Mao.
Hitler was very spiritual he would have liked you
I doubt it. He was an atheist like you.
Nope. He didn’t like the church but he believed in hokus pokus.

uh huh. Keep telling yourself that.

You are so desperate for people to be atheists you gave winterborn a hall pass for denying he was a materialist. :lol:
The only thing that matters is love. If you have people that love you it doesn’t matter if you believe in the man upstairs
Attila the Hun had people that loved him. So did Hitler, Stalin and Mao.
Hitler was very spiritual he would have liked you
I doubt it. He was an atheist like you.
Nope. He didn’t like the church but he believed in hokus pokus.
Sounds like Taz. :lol:

I’m sure if you examined every other sect you’d find things that you think makes them all not really Christianity.

Pro choice, being baptized as babies, women priests, gays in the pews, worshiping a pope. I hear Christians on here saying Catholics aren’t real Christians. You’re all ridiculous

Gimme a break on your judgement of what is and isn’t a Christian. You’re all Christians. A big bag of nuts.
If the universe were created through natural process and we are an accidental happenstance of matter and energy doing what matter and energy do, then there should be no expectation for absolute morals. Morals can be anything we want them to be. The problem is that nature does have a preference for an outcome. Societies and people which behave with virtue experience order and harmony. Societies and people which behave without virtue experience disorder and chaos. So we can see from the outcomes that not all behaviors have equal outcomes. That some behaviors have better outcomes and some behaviors have worse outcomes. This is the moral law at work. If the universe was created by spirit for the express purpose of creating beings that know and create we would expect that we would receive feedback on how we behave. The problem is that violating moral laws are not like violating physical laws. When we violate a physical law the consequences are immediate. If you try to defy gravity by jumping off a roof you will fall. Whereas the consequences for violating a moral law are more probabilistic in nature; many times we get away with it.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. Thus proving that morals cannot be anything we want them to be but are indeed based upon some universal code of common decency that is independent of man.

So the question that naturally begs to be asked is if there is a universal code of common decency that is independent of man how come we all don't behave the same way when it comes to right and wrong? The reason man doesn't behave the same way is because of subjectivity. The difference between being objective and being subjective is bias. Bias is eliminated when there is no preference for an outcome. To eliminate a preference for an outcome one must have no thought of the consequences to one's self. If one does not practice this they will see subjective truth instead of objective truth. Subjective truth leads to moral relativism. Where consequences to self and preferences for an outcome leads to rationalizations of right and wrong.

Man does know right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he did not violate it. You can see this behavior in almost all quarrels and disagreements. At the heart of every quarrel and disagreement is a belief in a universal right and wrong. So even though each side believes right to be different each side expects the other to believe their side should be universally known and accepted. It is this behavior which tells us there is an expectation for an absolute truth.

If there were never a universal truth that existed man would never have an expectation of fairness to begin with because fairness would have no meaning. The fact that each of us has an expectation of fairness and that we expect everyone else to follow ought to raise our suspicion on the origin of that expectation.
Point one. Look at the Muslim nations. Do you know which citizens in the Middle East have the best chance at having a secular democracy? Iran. Their citizens aren’t very religious the country is just run by religion.

It would be a much better place if it were a secular democracy where people were free to practice or not.

Instead those liberal Iranians are just living underground. They know how to get weed and alcohol.

You root for the Iranian government
I don't think you are making a very effective argument for atheism. People everywhere, in every culture throughout the entirety of mankind have believed in a power greater than man.

Why do you believe that is?
Wishful thinking, not knowing, being brainwashed or maybe feared into it?..
So you DON'T believe in natural selection?
We as a species have been here a very short time. We were religious at first for the obvious reasons and actually we are shedding it rather quickly.

It wouldn’t even still exist if it weren’t forced on us throughout history. Kings and Mohammad made everybody worship. So did popes.

It’ll always be around because it’s a nice thought. Hope. Wishful thinking.

Obama was obviously an atheists. Black Liberation Theology is not Christianity, but Marxism under the cover of the Church.
So all those black Baptist churches aren’t Christianity?

Not if they are practicing Black Liberation Theology, as Rev Wright was.

It's been a while since I researched it, but the BLT, is very far off the reservation.

It is more about Marx than Christ.
It’s probably more about filling the hat than anything else just like your spin off

Nope. Some serious hate and marxism and racism. It is some evil shit.

If the universe were created through natural process and we are an accidental happenstance of matter and energy doing what matter and energy do, then there should be no expectation for absolute morals. Morals can be anything we want them to be. The problem is that nature does have a preference for an outcome. Societies and people which behave with virtue experience order and harmony. Societies and people which behave without virtue experience disorder and chaos. So we can see from the outcomes that not all behaviors have equal outcomes. That some behaviors have better outcomes and some behaviors have worse outcomes. This is the moral law at work. If the universe was created by spirit for the express purpose of creating beings that know and create we would expect that we would receive feedback on how we behave. The problem is that violating moral laws are not like violating physical laws. When we violate a physical law the consequences are immediate. If you try to defy gravity by jumping off a roof you will fall. Whereas the consequences for violating a moral law are more probabilistic in nature; many times we get away with it.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. Thus proving that morals cannot be anything we want them to be but are indeed based upon some universal code of common decency that is independent of man.

So the question that naturally begs to be asked is if there is a universal code of common decency that is independent of man how come we all don't behave the same way when it comes to right and wrong? The reason man doesn't behave the same way is because of subjectivity. The difference between being objective and being subjective is bias. Bias is eliminated when there is no preference for an outcome. To eliminate a preference for an outcome one must have no thought of the consequences to one's self. If one does not practice this they will see subjective truth instead of objective truth. Subjective truth leads to moral relativism. Where consequences to self and preferences for an outcome leads to rationalizations of right and wrong.

Man does know right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he did not violate it. You can see this behavior in almost all quarrels and disagreements. At the heart of every quarrel and disagreement is a belief in a universal right and wrong. So even though each side believes right to be different each side expects the other to believe their side should be universally known and accepted. It is this behavior which tells us there is an expectation for an absolute truth.

If there were never a universal truth that existed man would never have an expectation of fairness to begin with because fairness would have no meaning. The fact that each of us has an expectation of fairness and that we expect everyone else to follow ought to raise our suspicion on the origin of that expectation.
Point one. Look at the Muslim nations. Do you know which citizens in the Middle East have the best chance at having a secular democracy? Iran. Their citizens aren’t very religious the country is just run by religion.

It would be a much better place if it were a secular democracy where people were free to practice or not.

Instead those liberal Iranians are just living underground. They know how to get weed and alcohol.

You root for the Iranian government
I don't think you are making a very effective argument for atheism. People everywhere, in every culture throughout the entirety of mankind have believed in a power greater than man.

Why do you believe that is?
Wishful thinking, not knowing, being brainwashed or maybe feared into it?..
So you DON'T believe in natural selection?
We as a species have been here a very short time. We were religious at first for the obvious reasons and actually we are shedding it rather quickly.

It wouldn’t even still exist if it weren’t forced on us throughout history. Kings and Mohammad made everybody worship. So did popes.

It’ll always be around because it’s a nice thought. Hope. Wishful thinking.
But the data doesn't show they are becoming atheists. The data shows they are leaving organized religion and retaining their spirituality.

Why is that?

America's founding fathers were only Christian in name, if even that. They were secular theists. America was founded by Christians, yes. But religion, including Christianity, is supposed to be seperate from our government. So it doesn't matter if Christians found this country or whether it was Muslims or Hindus.

America is not a Christian Country. It is not a Muslim Country. It is not a Atheist Country. America is a secular country where religion is not supposed to influence our government. Just because the majority of the population is Christian, does not make it a Christian nation because people of many faiths live here.

There are certainly some liars in the government. We make up like 30% of the population yet not one openly atheist member of the government?

It's our turn to come out of the closet and I think you will all be surprised how many of us there are.

Ding

do you include secularist ... non atheist in your count.

Sinema takes Senate oath on Constitution instead of Bible

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema was sworn into the U.S. Senate in Washington Thursday morning, and when she took the oath of office she swore on a copy of the Constitution. Most other senators used a religious book, including Arizona Republican Martha McSally, who used a Bible.

you can not deny the metaphysical, sealy at least you are not a christian the Almighty will be pleased with that.

America's founding fathers were only Christian in name, if even that. They were secular theists. America was founded by Christians, yes. But religion, including Christianity, is supposed to be seperate from our government. So it doesn't matter if Christians found this country or whether it was Muslims or Hindus.

America is not a Christian Country. It is not a Muslim Country. It is not a Atheist Country. America is a secular country where religion is not supposed to influence our government. Just because the majority of the population is Christian, does not make it a Christian nation because people of many faiths live here.

Ding

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema was sworn into the U.S. Senate in Washington Thursday morning, and when she took the oath of office she swore on a copy of the Constitution. Most other senators used a religious book, including Arizona Republican Martha McSally, who used a Bible.

you can not deny the metaphysical, sealy at least you are not a christian the Almighty will be pleased with that.
Yes I count agnostics and secularists.

I even support religions who keep it to themselves. They don’t politicize or weaponize it

Ding

I even support religions who keep it to themselves. They don’t politicize or weaponize it
The distinction is materialists and spiritualists. Materialists believe in materialism which is that everything proceeded from the material. Spiritualists believe in the material and the spirit. Whereby the material world proceeded from spirit.

Materialists are atheists and are somewhere around 10% of the population. So as much as you would like to believe that the world is becoming more atheistic, that just isn't the case. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.

The United States was founded by Anglo Saxons. Anglo Saxons have Germanic roots. The traditions of self reliance and survival among Anglo Saxons is more prominent than Christian values. The deep pagan roots of the white man aka the Anglo Saxon is contrary to Christianity in most ways. Christianity influenced the Germanic pagans to some degree but they didn't lose their identity. Christianity is African/Middle Eastern. Christianity has very little to do with the white man. There is that.

There was also the French Enlightenment sweeping the modern world in the 18th century that had a major influence in the formation of the United States. Late 18th century thought was focused on freedom and celebration of the individuality. Atheism was even tolerated under this newfound freedom/rebellion. What exactly does freedom have to do with Christianity? Christians are called to be slaves of Jesus Christ. They are to be his disciples. They are to forsake their entire existence to live for Christ.

Is the United States a Christian nation? Well, examine its founders, examine the time in which it was founded and examine the current culture of the United States. The Bible says we shall know them by their fruits. The United States is most certainly not a Christian nation. That is pure absurdity but I do see the benefit of morons saying that America is a Christian nation. Maybe it is but I am not convinced in the least.

Change the word Christian for Protestant then you would be closer to accurate but I'd still say no. America is not a protestant nation either.

Last edited:
It depends on how you define 'Christian Nation'.

Exactly.

There may be no official state religion but there is little doubt IMHO that America is a Christian nation to some degree.

I'm with you. The Framers of the Constitution clearly did not want a State religion. However, the majority of the people in the US have always been Christian.

Doesn't matter that the majority were christians.

One of the key questions is why did George Washington refuse to take communion for most of his adult life? For the serious Christian, such refusal is an act of self-excommunication.

More important, defenders have to explain why George Washington occupied the rank of Grand Master in the Masonic lodge. Each promotion in the Masonic lodge requires taking an anti-Christian oath?

In spite of right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian, little about his philosophy resembles that of Christianity. Although Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence wrote of the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, there exists nothing in the Declaration about Christianity.

Jefferson created his own New Testament that removed all supernatural acts of Christ.

The Book of Revelations warns that taking away from or adding to scripture is a highly blasphemous act with extreme punishment. Thomas Jefferson doesn't sound like a God fearing man at all.

There are alternate history books that paint our forefathers as faithful Christians. If the United States ever was a Christian theocracy then it was for a brief period in the 1950's. There was a lot of rewriting of history during the 1950s. A lot of the leaders of that time were promoting these types of lies. That's why we hear it so much today. The indoctrinated children of the 1950s are currently at the age that is ripe for government service. They firmly believe the United States is a Christian nation. They grew up in an environment where that premise was never challenged.

Being a "Christian Nation" is not synonomous with "Theocracy". If you meant "we are not a theocracy" perhaps you should have said that.

But you didn't. You said, ad nauseum, "we are not a Christian nation". Which is a lie. We are a Christian nation, as we are a democracy, and primarily Christian.

That makes us a Christian nation.
You carping over and over "We are not a Christian nation" doesn't make it so, honey. It just makes you sound a little demented and confused.

First you have to define Christian.

1. Christian (noun) A person who has attended church at least once and claims to be a Christian.

2. Christian (noun) A person who lives by New Testament principles.

3. Christian (noun) A person who attends church more than 25 times per year.

4. Christian (noun) A person knowledgeable of New Testament principles regardless of whether they follow them or not.

5. Christian (noun) Has a legendary belief in a parent or grand parent that was a good Christian even if they can't elaborate what that means.

6. Christian (noun) A person who has accepted Christ as their personal saviour and Lord according to evangelical Christian standards. Accept, believe, confess, repent, etc.

7. Christian (noun) A person who says they are a Christian.

If you use definition 1, 5 or 7 then we are a nation that is majority Christian. Otherwise I don't see it. How do you figure that the majority of Americans are Christian? It just doesn't look that way to me and I live in the south. Granted, I'm not in the Bible belt but Christianity as an institution is respected here. I just don't see evidence of Christian principles in play in day to day interactions with other people.

Whether or not the U.S. is a "Christian nation" is an absurd debate. Even if such an assertion would be reasonable in light of the fact that the U.S. Constitution forbids the establishment of a particular religion and Americans are a religiously diverse group of people, religions are practiced by individuals, not whole countries.

This whole "Christian nation" notion was cooked up by some sects of radical Protestantism to call attention to themselves in an effort to establish their ways as somehow the norm for the entire country.

No, but the Declaration of Independence - the document that brought this nation into being - certainly does mention God.

And we certainly do organize our lives around religion. Sunday is a day off. That is a Christian holiday. We take off Good Friday and Christmas, Christian holidays. There are no officially recognized Jewish, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, etc., holidays.

Officialdom references God. It is in the national anthem in the fourth verse.

The money by which the government of the United States issues states "In God we Trust."

We pledge allegiance to the flag, one nation, under God.

Christianity is not the official religion of the United States.

However, America is, for all intents and purposes, a Christian nation.

True. The Declaration of Independence references God. Which God? This is insufficient evidence. Insurance policies reference God too. That doesn't make State Farm a Christian insurance company.

Good Friday, Christmas and Easter are Protestant holidays that are mentioned nowhere in the New Testament. Sunday is the only Christian holiday. I will give you credit for the Protestant holidays and the celebration of Sunday in our culture. This is very strong evidence of Christian influence and possibly a "Christian Nation" except one thing. We also celebrate that Jewish holiday of Saturday aka Sabbath. When labor unions picked a 40 hour work week as the standard then two days needed to he eliminated. I'm sure the dominate religion was taken into consideration so this is a fair argument.

I need to know when the fourth verse of the National Anthem was written to comment on that one. I have my suspicions that reference is less than 80 years old.

The God reference on money and in our pledge of allegiance didn't happen until the late 1940s. "Under God" was added shortly before Hawaii and Alaska became states. "In God we trust" was added to money around the same time frame.

No. Christianity is not the official religion of the United States.

If there is no such thing as an official religion in the United States then what is meant by the term, "Christian Nation"? It seems to be a nonstatement more than anything else. The Bible says you shall know them by their fruits. Let's take a look around. What fruits are you seeing? A day off in December for a pagan celebration hijacked by the Roman Catholic church? I'm smarter than the average bear and very familiar with the Bible and Christian traditions. You can't fool me but more importantly, why do you want to?

What is the political gain if I acknowledge the United States as a Christian nation?

Last edited:
Whether or not the U.S. is a "Christian nation" is an absurd debate. Even if such an assertion would be reasonable in light of the fact that the U.S. Constitution forbids the establishment of a particular religion and Americans are a religiously diverse group of people, religions are practiced by individuals, not whole countries.

This whole "Christian nation" notion was cooked up by some sects of radical Protestantism to call attention to themselves in an effort to establish their ways as somehow the norm for the entire country.

It is a trivial term that doesn't really mean anything.

Ding

The distinction is materialists and spiritualists. Materialists believe in materialism which is that everything proceeded from the material. Spiritualists believe in the material and the spirit. Whereby the material world proceeded from spirit.

Materialists are atheists and are somewhere around 10% of the population. So as much as you would like to believe that the world is becoming more atheistic, that just isn't the case. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.
I disagree. Many many Americans approach me and tell me they don’t believe. Then add the agnostics who doubt but are too scared to admit what they believe.

Now consider so many fewer parents in America are taking their kids to church.

You just don’t see it because you live in the spiritual world with other spiritualists. Your religions are slowly disappearing.

Don’t think your grandkids will be going to church like you do. They wont

Ding

I disagree. Many many Americans approach me and tell me they don’t believe. Then add the agnostics who doubt but are too scared to admit what they believe.

You just don’t see it because you live in the spiritual world with other spiritualists. Your religions are slowly disappearing.

Really? These people just walk up to you and say, I don’t believe in spirituality?

So I believe you have missed my point. The data shows they are leaving organized religion but not abandoning their spirituality.

You are equating leaving organized religion with becoming atheist.

I don’t believe your informal discussions are statistically valid. And I believe your premise is flawed.

Ding

Tell me what you see here.

upload_2019-1-8_6-8-54.png

with Hitchens declaring a crisis of faith in the country, one that shows a decisive tide is turning against the forces of religion.

Religion and Faith are mutually exclusive , in fact the institutionalization of religion is the single most destructive element faith has ,or will ,ever endure

we are fundamentally a Christian nation going all the way to the Founding Fathers

absolutely hands down a lie

If these fascist fundies are so bent on infiltrating governance, let them pay their 'effin way , tax the sh*t outta them

you-know-what-they-ought-to-do-with-churches-tax-25023497.png
~S~

Forum List

Back