IRS Idiots called my bicycle a possible bomb......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
I had to go to the IRS offices today to pay off some stuff. Since it was a nice day (as well as since I was able to take my bicycle in with me LAST time), I decided to ride out there and back (only about 15 miles round trip).

When I got there, the security guard (who was there last month when I went in to make a payment), told me that I had to put my bicycle out in the lobby (where there was nobody to watch it), as it was a possibility that it could be a bomb.

Now listen.........yeah, there have been suicide bombers using motorcycles, and maybe one of 'em was able to make a SMALL bomb out of a bicycle in Pakistan, but WTF?

My bike is a Lemond Zurich which is made out of chromoly steel tubing (Reynolds 883 to be exact), with deep dish aluminum rims that are only about 22 mm wide, and the main tubes on the frame are only about 1 1/2 inches wide.

Additionally, there is NOTHING that hangs off of my bike other than a very small tool kit and a frame pump.

What the fuck.........have we become such a paranoid nation that a retired Navy veteran such as myself now gets accused of having a possibility of a bomb in a BICYCLE?????

This paranoia that the nation is going through is starting to get out of hand. What do you guys think?

I think what he was trying to tell you was that your Lemond Zurich, which is made out of chromoly steel tubing (Reynolds 883 to be exact), with deep dish aluminum rims that are only about 22 mm wide, and the main tubes on the frame are only about 1 1/2 inches wide, is DA BOMB, and you jumped to conclusions.

Wrong.......the pudgy little security guard said that it could be classified as a bomb, which is why they wanted me to put it out in the lobby.

I told the idiot that he was being a dick, and that if someone stole my bike while I was there, he was gonna have to fork over the cash for me to get a new one (around 4,000).

Really pisses me off when I run into civilian idiots like that who like to follow the fear mongering.

Besides........there is NO FUCKING WAY that you could pack enough explosive in or on that bike without it being rather obvious. Why? My bike only weighs 18 lbs.

Only in America would we have a situation where the FLOTUS harangues everyone to Move More and someone who rides a bike to deal with a government agency is accused of possibly having a bomb.

I'm interested in knowing just exactly how awesome this bike is in full detail.

When I got there, the security guard (who was there last month when I went in to make a payment), told me that I had to put my bicycle out in the lobby (where there was nobody to watch it), as it was a possibility that it could be a bomb.

Really smart...

"Why don't you go ahead and leave that bomb in the lobby?"

Lemond Zurich frame made of Reynolds 883 tubing, painted blue and grey with gold lettering.

Carbon fiber fork

Mavic Cosmic wheelset with radial laced bladed spokes

Modolo anatomic handlebars

Fizik titanium saddle

Campagnolo Chorus ergo power shifters, same for both the front and rear derailer.

Campagnolo Athena brakeset

Total weight, 18 1/2 lbs, and it's a STEEL FRAME BIKE.

Lemond Zurich frame made of Reynolds 883 tubing, painted blue and grey with gold lettering.

Carbon fiber fork

Fizik titanium saddle

Campagnolo Chorus ergo power shifters, same for both the front and rear derailer.

That's it?

Pfft :eusa_hand:

Only in America would we have a situation where the FLOTUS harangues everyone to Move More and someone who rides a bike to deal with a government agency is accused of possibly having a bomb.

Interestingly enough, when I told them that they didn't have a bike rack out in front where I could lock it up, they stated they didn't have to as the IRS isn't a government agency.

Yeah........and the idea about putting it in the lobby was just fucking stupid.

Carbon fiber fork

Fizik titanium saddle

That's it?

HEY!!! The freaking bike cost me around 4,000 when I bought it new, and if I wanted to replace it with what I currently have, it would STILL cost me between 2,800 and 3,500 to replace!

The only bike I've seen that I would be interested in currently is an Orbea (which weigh only 15 lbs and have a lifetime warranty on the frame).

And........if you have a chance, check out their TT bike.........the freaking thing is sick looking! Makes the Blade made by Specialized look like a Huffy.

Wrong.......the pudgy little security guard said that it could be classified as a bomb, which is why they wanted me to put it out in the lobby.

batman-bomb.jpg

So I can just leave this in the lobby, then?

Carbon fiber fork

Fizik titanium saddle

That's it?

HEY!!! The freaking bike cost me around 4,000 when I bought it new, and if I wanted to replace it with what I currently have, it would STILL cost me between 2,800 and 3,500 to replace!

The only bike I've seen that I would be interested in currently is an Orbea (which weigh only 15 lbs and have a lifetime warranty on the frame).

And........if you have a chance, check out their TT bike.........the freaking thing is sick looking! Makes the Blade made by Specialized look like a Huffy.

Sorry dude, no offense, but I don't socialize with people who own such crappy bikes :D

Forum List

Back