Interview with Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) on Reading the Constitution

What a nice interview. Really points out that the reading is nothing more than showboating or grandstanding.

God forbid things would be read and discussed before passage.

Geeze, what an absurd notion. Just pass the bill, we find out what's in it later.

If the constitution needs constant interpretation, it needs to be changed. Today, more and more of our laws are being made by the courts. It is absurd that people spend their lives studying the constitution and the writings of the founders to understand their intent in order to interpret the constitution.

Clearly the operation of government is far from what the founding fathers intended and is not likely to change. The founding fathers were fearful of government oppression and for most part believed the United States should be a loose federation of states whose main purpose is defense and dealing with foreign powers. This is how the country operated until the civil war. After the civil war, we were no longer a federation of sovereign states but one nation.

msnbc.com Video Player

yes, i know it's msnbc... but it's an interesting interview.

comments?

No, not really.

O'Donnell's such a tool, always with his Holier-than-thou bullshit.

So O'Donnell is a tool and he's on MSNBC, what a surprise!!!!!!!
And Hannity, Beck or O'Reilly handle libs so differently than O'Donnell handles right wingers? No!!!
I see selective outrage.
Nobody said anything about Faux News and/or right wingers, numbnuts.

No, not really.

And Hannity, Beck or O'Reilly handle libs so differently than O'Donnell handles right wingers? No!!!
I see selective outrage.

I've seen more than one liberal get interveiwed on FOX.

FOX asked them a question, they himm and haww, then ask themselves a question and beging to answer themselves and get cut off. Then w/o fail, they act all indignant and pissy that FOX isn't letting them answer the question when in fact they had no intention of doing so.

I see selective outrage.

FOX asked them a question, they himm and haww, then ask themselves a question and beging to answer themselves and get cut off. Then w/o fail, they act all indignant and pissy that FOX isn't letting them answer the question when in fact they had no intention of doing so.
Hmmm....I'm seeing a picture...
18991.jpg

I see selective outrage.

really? which interviews are you talking about? i'm curious.

i've seen o'reilly shut off the mic on anyone he disagreed with, including, iirc, the son of a 9/11 victim. i've seen hannity talk to anyone he disagrees with as if he were a traitor. i've seen them distort facts. i've never quite seen anyone hem and haw and act all indignant. it may have happened, but i'm kind of wondering who we're talking about.

i know that when the president went on o'reilly, however, he did a very good job and o'reilly liked and respected him. i don't recall baby bush ever being interviewed by a liberal.

i do know that when rand paul was inteviewed by maddow, he was so humiliaited by his own words that he never again allowed himself to be interviewed by national media again. and i know that goodlatte (and you're right... great name), he humiliated himself.

i'll be happy to go look up the video of any democrat who hemmed and hawwed and was cowed by the mighty interviewers at foxnews.

Well not really. Lawrence knows his way around the Congress. That's his background.

And although Goodlatte kept his cool..he really didn't come off to well being an "adherent" to Constitutional values. He put up one bill that couldn't pass Constitutional muster under his favorite judge and voted on another that he didn't know what Constitional clause backed it up.

The Constitution makes good fodder for those that are braying about original principles until they understand the text.

Then that sort of falls apart.
Right...Like lamely, and oh-so-predictably, bringing up the 3/5 compromise, which was rendered moot by the 13th Amendment?

Y'all are really so pedestrian to still think that people don't see a fruitcake like O'Donnell invoking that one coming from a mile away, aren't ya? :lol::lol::lol:

people don't see o'donnell as a 'fruitcake'. he gets extraordinary people on his show. is he conservative? hell no? he's pretty far left. but that doesn't make him wrong about everything. and anyone who goes on his show knows that he's not exactly known for his larry king style interview style. he's kind of like the flip side of o'reilly's coin.

oh... and the 3/5 compromise is simply an example of why the founder's don't speak for today's world. capish? so if you know nothing about constitutional construction, and talk about how the document is supposed to be viewed as an originalist... then you deserve to be smacked in the face with it.

Are you honestly suggesting that the people today would give the slave states more power in today's Congress?

msnbc.com Video Player

yes, i know it's msnbc... but it's an interesting interview.

comments?

You're an ugly ignorant partisan hack skank with nothing of value to contribute here.

Oh, you mean the interview? The interviewer is a world-class idiot. What does it mean "do you agree with every word in the Constitution"? That is an ambush question as well as being inappropriate. Someone might as well ask the interviewer "do you disagree with every word in Das Kapital?"
This is the best the libs have to offer: intellectually dishonest, morally bankrupt, and historically challenged.

No, not really.

I see selective outrage.

Yeah, you folks just like to look at one side of the coin and scream in outrage.
That's called being a hypocrite.

I see selective outrage.

Yeah, you folks just like to look at one side of the coin and scream in outrage.

The topic is this stupid interview. If you can't stick to that then STFU, stewbrain. Dragging in something irrelevant so MSNBC doesn't look so bad by comparison is a cheap stupid debate trick and won't pass master here.

I see selective outrage.

The only person and network I've mentioned in this thread is O'Donnell and CCPNBC, which are the source of the OP.

Your pathetic attempt at deflection and hijack fails, numbnuts.

What a nice interview. Really points out that the reading is nothing more than showboating or grandstanding.

God forbid things would be read and discussed before passage.

Geeze, what an absurd notion. Just pass the bill, we find out what's in it later.

Things? No, it's about the selective reading of the constitution.

Oh, and there going to be a discussion? Will that be about "Things" too?

You do seem to be confuses about passages of bills (in which I do think each rep. should be required to read not just glance over the executive summary) and this grandstanding (selective reading of the Constitution).

The topic is this stupid interview. If you can't stick to that then STFU, stewbrain. Dragging in something irrelevant so MSNBC doesn't look so bad by comparison is a cheap stupid debate trick and won't pass master here.

Ha! Like YOU have never gone off topic!
Also, if you had the ability to comprehend what I had posted, you would have noted that I had agreed that O'Donnell is a tool,,,but NOOOOO! You missed that point, I guess you were a little to eager to pile on.

Last edited:

Hmmm....I'm seeing a picture...
18991.jpg

THAT'S THE GUY!! HE'S THE MAIN MORON!!

He lacks the stones to answer questions, and when they have to repeat and repeat the question to get an answer he gets all pissy and says that he did, WHEN any FOOL can see that he didn't!

I LOVE that guy! He's better than any "Who's on first" routine.

Forum List

Back