Interstellar

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014
Alrighty then....

Interstellar

This was a good movie, but not quite what I was expecting. It has some elements that really, really work, and a few that kind of... Well, don't.

It seemed to be aiming for something of a "2001: A Space Odyssey" vibe, but from a slightly (and I do mean 'slightly') more "Hard Sci-Fi" perspective, mixed with a healthy dose of Nolan's trademark philosophizing and sentimentality.

Frankly, I think that might have been its biggest failing. It wasn't "Hard Sci-Fi" enough, and so certain elements came off as being a bit goofy and cliche.

- :::SPOILERS::: -

For example, an early plot element involves mysterious aliens only referred to as "they," who interact with the human race through gravitational anomalies. They create a wormhole for humanity to use so they can escape the solar system, and they even lead the hero (a former test pilot) to NASA by messing around with things in his daughter's bedroom in order to send him a message.

While, granted, this is explained and brought full circle in the end (and satisfyingly so at that), it's a bit of an odd choice stylistically. It also makes the first half of the film seem a bit silly and contrived.

Why not keep things relatively simple and just have NASA use an Alcubierre drive instead? They're apparently tinkering with the idea even as we speak.

NASA discusses its warp drive research, prepares to create a warp bubble in the lab

For that matter, why not simply have NASA recruit him the old fashioned way? He apparently worked for them in the past.

I'm also pretty damn sure that black holes DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. However, that's a different can of worms entirely, so I'll avoid details.
icon_lol.gif

Though... Ultimately, it should be noted that these are only minor complaints. Either way, I guess it is more than worth any silliness involved simply to see a serious, thought provoking science fiction film on the big screen again.

If this film could be shown to have the same impact on the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre that Blade Runner had on film noir, or Gladiator had on historical epics, I'd pretty much "jump for joy." lol

Overall: 7.5 out of 10.

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

This was a good movie, but not quite what I was expecting. It has some elements that really, really work, and a few that kind of... Well, don't.

It seemed to be aiming for something of a "2001: A Space Odyssey" vibe, but from a slightly (and I do mean 'slightly') more "Hard Sci-Fi" perspective, mixed with a healthy dose of Nolan's trademark philosophizing and sentimentality.

Frankly, I think that might have been its biggest failing. It wasn't "Hard Sci-Fi" enough, and so certain elements came off as being a bit goofy and cliche.

For example, an early plot element involves mysterious aliens only referred to as "they," who interact with the human race through gravitational anomalies. They create a wormhole for humanity to use so they can escape the solar system, and they even lead the hero (a former test pilot) to NASA by messing around with things in his daughter's bedroom in order to send him a message.

While, granted, this is explained and brought full circle in the end (and satisfyingly so at that), it's a bit of an odd choice stylistically. It also makes the first half of the film seem a bit silly and contrived.

Why not keep things relatively simple and just have NASA use an Alcubierre drive instead? They're apparently tinkering with the idea even as we speak.

NASA discusses its warp drive research, prepares to create a warp bubble in the lab

For that matter, why not simply have NASA recruit him the old fashioned way? He apparently worked for them in the past.

I'm also pretty damn sure that black holes DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. However, that's a different can of worms entirely, so I'll avoid details.
icon_lol.gif

Though... Ultimately, it should be noted that these are only minor complaints. Either way, I guess it is more than worth any silliness involved simply to see a serious, thought provoking science fiction film on the big screen again.

If this film could be shown to have the same impact on the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre that Blade Runner had on film noir, or Gladiator had on historical epics, I'd pretty much "jump for joy." lol

It sounds a bit "out there" to me. Trailer is interesting though. :)

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

You just need to date some nerds, they'll bring you along. Pretty soon you'll even watch Star Wars.

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

You just need to date some nerds, they'll bring you along. Pretty soon you'll even watch Star Wars.

:lol:

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

:lol:

It is useless to resist, Chris.

It is... Your destiny!!!!

Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18734827-1024-768.jpg

MUAHAHAHAHA!

lol :D

What irritates me about this concept of finding another planet that is habital for earthlings to go to is...we fucked up with one so now everyone is supposed to bail it and go fuck up another one with the same o same o?

A bear shits in the woods but doesn't bring it home. This whole planet has been shit on and brought home. Instead of cleaning it up, another one is being sought.

What irritates me about this concept of finding another planet that is habital for earthlings to go to is...we fucked up with one so now everyone is supposed to bail it and go fuck up another one with the same o same o?

A bear shits in the woods but doesn't bring it home. This whole planet has been shit on and brought home. Instead of cleaning it up, another one is being sought.

Well... Ultimately, we're going to have to leave this planet one way or another if we want to survive.

Between super volcanoes, asteroids, comets, climate shifts, solar flares, and all the rest, the odds are basically 100% that some kind of catastrophe will eventually hit this planet, and wipe us all out regardless of how well we treat the environment.

It's happened several times before. Just look at the dinosaurs, for instance.

Besides which, the potential resources that can be exploited outside of this planet are basically limitless. If we ever manage to make asteroid mining feasible, for example, it'd probably make the Industrial Revolution look like a mere footnote. lol

Ok. EVERYONE can leave earth and I'll just stay here and try to caretake my little section.

"On earth as it is in heaven". I'll stay put. :)

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

I've seen Star Wars before. Hasn't everyone seen that movie? It was a good movie, but I think some people get a little too excited about it. :D I don't know of any movie that I have or would have such an obsession over.

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

I've seen Star Wars before. Hasn't everyone seen that movie? It was a good movie, but I think some people get a little too excited about it. :D I don't know of any movie that I have or would have such an obsession over.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of it.

George Lucas is such a merchandise whore that it's sort of turned me off on the whole thing.
lol.gif

Well... Ultimately, we're going to have to leave this planet one way or another if we want to survive.

Between super volcanoes, asteroids, comets, climate shifts, solar flares, and all the rest, the odds are basically 100% that some kind of catastrophe will eventually hit this planet, and wipe us all out regardless of how well we treat the environment.

Besides which, the potential resources that can be exploited outside of this planet are basically limitless. If we ever manage to make asteroid mining feasible, for example, it'd probably make the Industrial Revolution look like a mere footnote. lol

Damn . . . I need a planet that has trees and grass and flowers, and all that good stuff. When we talk about inhabiting another planet, all I can think about is a barren desolate wasteland. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

George Lucas is such a merchandise whore that it's sort of turned me off on the whole thing.
lol.gif

I just can't understand such an obsession with a movie. People who go around dressed like characters from the movie and go to those conventions. It's more than a little odd, IMO. :D

Damn . . . I need a planet that has trees and grass and flowers, and all that good stuff. When we talk about inhabiting another planet, all I can think about is a barren desolate wasteland. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Well, to be fair, we probably could make other planets more like Earth with the proper technology.

Terraforming - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

800px-MarsTransitionV.jpg

Hell! For all we know, there might even be a few planets like Earth out there already. We'd just have to find them. :)

(And hope no one else was already living there :D ).

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

lol.gif

I just can't understand such an obsession with a movie. People who go around dressed like characters from the movie and go to those conventions. It's more than a little odd, IMO. :D

Yea. I like the original movies (the new ones suck lol ), but I've never been "obsessed" with them.

lol.gif

Yea. I like the original movies (the new ones suck lol ), but I've never been "obsessed" with them.

I only saw one Star Wars movie, and that was the original version. How many movies are there?

Alrighty then....

Interstellar

icon_lol.gif

No, my wife went through her entire childhood without seeing it, same with her sister and their dad is in the SV tech industry, so how that was allowed to happen I still can't get my head around. I nerdified her when we started dating and she introduced me to all the golden oldie romance movies. Ask me anything about Doris Day movies.

Forum List

Back