Quantum Space, a sci-fi novel

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
I like adult sci-fiction about space and particularly 1st contact. This is not a run of the of mill story of space invaders or exploring strange new worlds. I found the book to be very enjoyable while certainly simulating the imagination.

Quantum Space is a mind-bending ride; one that demands just as much from its reader as it gives. Phillips begins the book solidly in the real world, incorporating scientific concepts such as the standard model, string theory, and particle acceleration.

With the aid of a few helpful illustrations, Phillips does a fairly good job explaining these concepts in a way that a non-scientist can understand. That said, there were certainly chapters that required pause for consideration, and it took some time to sink in. The book is a mystery about the disappearance of three astronauts from a sealed re-entry capsule. Phillips leads the reader from pure science of Quantum Physics to compression of space, to first contact with an alien life form, all in search of the missing astronauts.

Quantum Space is above all, a sci-fi mystery, filled with insightful discoveries, and delightful surprises. It takes a few chapters to build momentum, but once it does, it grabs you and does not let go. Phillips expounds on provable and theoretical scientific concepts, then takes them to the next level, bringing readers to a world that puts the galaxy at their doorstep. It may require a bit more mental energy than a purely pleasure novel, but those who put in the effort will be greatly rewarded with a believable sense of awe and wonder.

Quantum Space which is available both as a book and an audiobook is the first book in a three book trilogy. I would recommended it to anyone who likes adult space sci-fi.

The book raised a couple interesting points. First contact by just sending a star ship across the galaxy tens or hundreds of light years looking for intelligent life is not a good idea because you may never find it and if you do, that life form may not want to be found.

A better approach for first contact is through communications. However, radio communications is far too slow as it is limited by the speed of light. An initial contact question could take 300 years to get there and the answer 300 years to get back. By then we might not be listening. And establishing some common syntax could take thousands of years.

The only practically means of space travel and communication across the galaxy is some type of folding or compression of space. At the end of the book, the author devotes most of a chapter explaining what in the book is real science and what is pure fiction. Unfortunately, compressing or folding of space is pure fiction, at least at this point in time.

Last edited:
33% of the book read, the book is interesting in that the science and quality of writing is good.
But the story itself is barely moving. A full 3rd of the way into the book and almost nothing has actually happened.
I like the book, but the author needs to progress the story as much as talk about the science.

I like adult sci-fiction about space and particularly 1st contact. This is not a run of the of mill story of space invaders or exploring strange new worlds. I found the book to be very enjoyable while certainly simulating the imagination.

Quantum Space is a mind-bending ride; one that demands just as much from its reader as it gives. Phillips begins the book solidly in the real world, incorporating scientific concepts such as the standard model, string theory, and particle acceleration.

With the aid of a few helpful illustrations, Phillips does a fairly good job explaining these concepts in a way that a non-scientist can understand. That said, there were certainly chapters that required pause for consideration, and it took some time to sink in. The book is a mystery about the disappearance of three astronauts from a sealed re-entry capsule. Phillips leads the reader from pure science of Quantum Physics to compression of space, to first contact with an alien life form, all in search of the missing astronauts.

Quantum Space is above all, a sci-fi mystery, filled with insightful discoveries, and delightful surprises. It takes a few chapters to build momentum, but once it does, it grabs you and does not let go. Phillips expounds on provable and theoretical scientific concepts, then takes them to the next level, bringing readers to a world that puts the galaxy at their doorstep. It may require a bit more mental energy than a purely pleasure novel, but those who put in the effort will be greatly rewarded with a believable sense of awe and wonder.

Quantum Space which is available both as a book and an audiobook is the first book in a three book trilogy. I would recommended it to anyone who likes adult space sci-fi.
Hmmm. It's weird I have not heard of this before. Almost eight thousand reviews with an average rating of 4.5.

Impressive.

I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

33% of the book read, the book is interesting in that the science and quality of writing is good.
But the story itself is barely moving. A full 3rd of the way into the book and almost nothing has actually happened.
I like the book, but the author needs to progress the story as much as talk about the science.
I took was disappointed with how slow the story developed. I stuck with and thought it was worth it.

Hmmm. It's weird I have not heard of this before. Almost eight thousand reviews with an average rating of 4.5.

Impressive.

Just be warned the story is slow developing. The last half of the book is much better than 1st half.

I took was disappointed with how slow the story developed. I stuck with and thought it was worth it.
I will definitely finish it, it is interesting, but holy cow moving slow.
People who have no interest in science, details etc. will never finish it. I do like science, and this book actually does explain string and quantum theories pretty well.
All in all - the book is a positive experience so far. My only beef, is the same as yours, the writer just needs to move the story a little faster.

64% in now... and yes, the book ramps up significantly right around the half way point.
Lots of things happening now.

64% in now... and yes, the book ramps up significantly right around the half way point.
Lots of things happening now.
I’m on the third book in series now. Each book in the series becomes more based on fantasy than scientific facts. The book is about time travel, not sure if I will continue with the series.

I’m on the third book in series now. Each book in the series becomes more based on fantasy than scientific facts. The book is about time travel, not sure if I will continue with the series.
Just started the 2nd book.
I think the first book has the propensity to make a decent movie if done well.

He is a really good author. I have read several of his books.

Wow. This book just showed as free with my Audible membership. It formerly cost 1 credit.

Cool! I've downloaded it. I have one other book I am listening to right now, but it will be next.

Well, I used one of my Audible credits to download and listen to this novel.

Unfortunately, the narrator they chose to read this book sucks. He sounds like he should be reading nursery rhymes to preschoolers. He seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the book.

The story was okay. Kind of meh. It did not entice me to read the whole series.

Impressive.

Douglas Phillips, the author has only been writing books since 2017. He has written only 5 or 6 books. Although his ideas are interesting and his stories are at times mind boggling, his writing is not that great. I think the first two books in series are the most interesting.

Douglas Phillips, the author has only been writing books since 2017. He has written only 5 or 6 books. Although his ideas are interesting and his stories are at times mind boggling, his writing is not that great. I think the first two books in series are the most interesting.
See post 18.

Forum List

Back