Interesting Movement Of The Sun

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015

Somebody posted this on FB and I had seen it before. The first time I saw it, I thought it was interesting. This time, I thought how come more people do not know about it? I took college physics for one year and they never mentioned it. Basic astronomy?

Actually, it's not exactly right but the basic concept is correct.

What's the question? The motion of the solar system through the galaxy is well known and nothing new. The significance of calling it a "vortex" isn't explained. Got to give this video a 3 out of 10. Nice images, but it leaves to viewer hanging with regard to what the point is.

Somebody posted this on FB and I had seen it before. The first time I saw it, I thought it was interesting. This time, I thought how come more people do not know about it? I took college physics for one year and they never mentioned it. Basic astronomy?

That's pretty wild.

In fact, I've always wondered if the planets existed on a flat plane, as the illustrations always show. As I understand Einstein's theory, space/time is essentially bent by the sun the most because of its mass, below, creating a flatter orbit pattern for the planets.

But this makes sense as well.
main-qimg-7474550b9aa9fcc38728bed4fb43270a-c

What's the question? The motion of the solar system through the galaxy is well known and nothing new. The significance of calling it a "vortex" isn't explained. Got to give this video a 3 out of 10. Nice images, but it leaves to viewer hanging with regard to what the point is.

The question is how come a lot of people do not know this basic motion? (Is it basic astronomy? I didn't get it in Physics 101) I do not think a lot of people know about it because they do not picture it a such. They think it's "strictly" heliocentric and the sun stays in one spot when it isn't the case. It may be obvious that the sun revolves around the galaxy, but the way our solar system has been modeled and explained, the subject never comes up. I have never seen the Milky Way and the solar system model. It's just the solar system model of the planets going around the sun. This is heliocentrism, but it's actually more.

That's pretty wild.

In fact, I've always wondered if the planets existed on a flat plane, as the illustrations always show. As I understand Einstein's theory, space/time is essentially bent by the sun the most because of its mass, below, creating a flatter orbit pattern for the planets.

Exactly, I thought the same thing when I first saw it. It's cool. Much cooler than the boring model we are used to seeing of heliocentrism. In fact, the youtuber updated his video since he got a sh*tstorm from the vid. I think what people picture in their mind is the sun being stationary and the planets going around it because this is the model we've all been exposed to and drilled into our head. Yet, we know the sun revolves around center of the Milky Way. This vid tries to show for the first time the movement with the galaxy.

It isn't exactly correct and the youtuber made a second vid after hearing from physicist Rhys Taylor. It's even cooler now. It may not be completely accurate, but it's better than anything I ever seen.

He explains the exchange in his blog
Solar System 2.0 & Science Friction | DjSadhu.com

The video is interesting, but the reason it isn't taught in classes is that the physics of a non-accelerating moving system is physically indistinguishable compared to a system that is motionless, so the center of mass is the easiest reference point to think about.

However the solar system is accelerating while very slowly circling the galaxy. The slight acceleration due to the Coriolis force is negligible compared to the planetary gravitational interplay.

This time, I thought how come more people do not know about it? I took college physics for one year and they never mentioned it.
Because it is completely and demonstrably incorrect. About 3 seconds of research on your part would help you uncover why it is incorrect. In general, debunked ked, demonstrably incorrect information is not taught. That is kind of the point of getting an education .

That's pretty wild.

The maker of the video clearly has much more talent and knowledge in the field of computer graphics than he does in the fields of physics or astronomy:

Is the Solar System Really a Vortex? - Universe Today

Forum List

Back