Interesting..... Gary Johnson files anti trust lawsuit

Shelzin

Equal Opportunity Asshole
Jul 15, 2012
http://www.policymic.com/articles/1...-claim-against-the-cpd-in-the-name-of-liberty

In a stunning move sure to bring publicity to his campaign, Libertarian Party presidential nominee Gary Johnson has filed an anti-trust claim against the National Commission on Presidential Debates. Johnson aims to secure a spot in the debates and give America a real choice in 2012.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, "maintains that the Republican and Democratic Parties, through the CPD, indefensibly limit access of other candidates to the marketplace of ideas and the opportunity to be employed in these highest offices in the land, and in so doing are violating the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890."

The suit was filed within hours of the announcement that only Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and Democratic incumbent President Barack Obama would be allowed to take part in the debates. According the debate website, the commission's purpose is to "to ensure that debates, as a permanent part of every general election, provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners."

How can they fulfill their stated mission if they exclude a viable alternative for the 30% of independent voters in America? That is precisely the question that the Johnson campaign is asking and demanding answers to. In addition, the campaign says that it will be filing more claims in other jurisdictions against the commission. Good for you, Gary Johnson. Be libertarian with me indeed.

I have no problem with him being there.. In a free Republic, all voices should be heard to include the Green Party nominee, etc.

As far as I can remember, a candidate has to be polling at 10 or 15% nationally to be able to participate in the debates.

It's part of the strategy to stifle third parties and keep the machine running.

• Banned
As far as I can remember, a candidate has to be polling at 10 or 15% nationally to be able to participate in the debates.

*shrugs* Polls say 30% of the nation identifies as independent. There is no independent party. So I think somebody is screwing with some number to think they aren't.

Good for Gary... Fuck the Obama Romney progressive say anything monster that both the Democrat and Republican party have become.

Man, we live is such an ass backwards country. The rules should be more along the lines of giving 100,000 thousand or maybe more signatures for you to be included in the debates, even if that gets 3-12 people on stage. This bullshit of you have to be polly 10-15% when most polling agencies don’t even include anyone other than Dem/Rep people makes no sense whatsoever.

The more I learn about how our country is run they less respect for the US I have. Hell Republicans have done their best to get Gary off the ballots in states… Think about how low life scum bag that is.

yep. i hope johnson wins and is allowed to debate. i remember ross perot and while not always great, was definitely a good inclusion for the debates.

now, now see here.....

I don't think any random joe who manages to get his name on the ballot should be able to participate. However requiring 15% polling is ridiculous. Anyone with at least 5% should be given equal time and equal consideration.

My personal bet is Johnson walks away in november with at least 5%, no matter how much the media and parties wish he would go away.

• Thanks
Reactions: ILF
It is plain and simple as far as I could see. Gary Johnson was a two term Governor. That in my opinion qualifies his message to be heard. I can't understand why a country with so many individuals must be reduced to only hearing from only 2 people!

If you have the resources and money and supporters to get on the ballot in enough states to win 270 electoral votes is not some random joe.

Money doesn't equal support.

Donald trump could get on every state ballot, but I'd bet 90% of the people who add their signature in each state vote for someone else on election day.

He has the support though. He has the support to get on the ballot and he has the support of people signing a petition to get him on the ballot and to rally for him etc...where do you think 85% of the Ron Paul supporters went to? the other 15% is split between 5% writing in RP 5% supporting Willard 5% not voting.

Forum List

Back