Instead of "You Lie". This time its "Not True" by Justice Alito in Audience.

Has a president EVER struck out at the SCOTUS in a SOTU speech before? I think this was a first and he might have shot himself in the foot because Obama's remarks may influence their decisions from his lashing out at them.

Quote:
POLITICO's Kasie Hunt, who's in the House chamber, reports that Justice Samuel Alito mouthed the words "not true" when Obama criticized the Supreme Court's campaign finance decision.

" Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said. "Well I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong."

The shot of the black-robed Supreme Court justices, stone faced, was priceless.

Chuck Schumer stood up behind the justices and clapped vigorously while Alito shook his head and quietly mouthed his discontent.

YouTube - Alito mouths "not true" as Obama criticizes Sup Ct for opening floodgates to special interests

Justice Alito mouths 'not true' - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com

Yeah ... Only Unions And DNC Special Interests should be able weigh in. What is this, Cloud 9? Maybe if Al Gore and Michael Moore were mandated to wear Clown Suits in Public the World would make more sense. Decades of bullshit Documentaries, from the Networks to HBO, Hollywood, slanted partisan crap, at the same time censoring and obstructing, the other side of the story, as you screw in your mercury filled efficiency light bulbs, just a thought.... Fuck Yourself... leave the rest of Us Alone.
How do You know when a DNC Partisan Hack is Lying? It starts out with "Everyone agree's", spare us.

Yes, they are supposed to be non-reactive. But, hey, Alito's a Bush appointee ... a dick.

and the retarded army tool who started this thread is a cock sucker.

not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dante forgets that it is the LIEberal Party that is the Party of Cock Suckers, and that he himself is a Cock Sucker......underlining the fact that it is OK to be a COCK SUCKER.

Five to Four. Five to Four. Five to Four. CU v. FEC was not Nine to Zero; Alito's opinion is that, an opinon. His behavior tonight was, is, and will always be contemptible.
By showing partisanship he violated that which a judge must be, and dishonered every man and women who wears the robe.

Yup and Roe Vs Wade was 5 to 4 as well, JUST an opinion. Of course 5 to 4 IS the deciding number isn't it?

Yup 5 to 4 is the deciding number.. I am glad you approve of china buying our elections to steal military secrets and technology..

Way to go!!

The decision last week was a security risk in the worst possible way..

Our enemies can now buy into our elections and help get people friendly to them get elected..

Way to go..

As a marine!! You should know better gunny!! Or were you really a marine?? I am curious because your views are going to get countless marines killed..

Yeah right Bone Head, Bill and Hillary are as hysterical as I am over your joke. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't watch the speech, eh.
No...but I read what he said about the court's decision and I don't see a lie in there. What are you referring to exactly?
Didn't watch the speech, eh.
No...but I read what he said about the court's decision and I don't see a lie in there. What are you referring to exactly?
THIS is the lie ladies:

"Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said.

It was NOT a "century of law" and they CANNOT "spend without limit." And "foreign corporations" and even DOMESTIC ones STILL cannot contribute directly to political campaigns!

It's just a flat-out LIE and mis-representation of the ruling.

Moveon.org made political campaign ads against McCain and for Obama, yet gave no money to Obama's campaign.

Swiftboat Veterans made ads against Kerry and for Bush and gave not a cent to Bush.

Either group could have spent unlimited money - if they had it.

Now that corporations are considered equal to "American Citizens", free speech says they can spend all the money they want without giving a single cent to any particular candidate.

Foreign corporations who have a subsidiary here which employs American Citizens is considered EQUAL to an American Citizen and can do exactly the same thing.

Republicans are like children's scissors, cute, colorful, not too sharp. Don't feed 'em and they won't "breed".

-----------

One wonders, do Republicans really feel that foreign corporations spending unlimited money in American political campaigns is a "GOOD" thing? I always thought they didn't like foreigners. Now they want them in our political process? So, which do Republicans prefer? Muslims, Atheists, Communists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are supposed to be non-reactive. But, hey, Alito's a Bush appointee ... a dick.
Imagine President Nixon dressing down the Supreme Court during his SOTU speech after the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling. Obama's behavior in "embarrassing the court" during the speech was not "respecting the Separation of Powers" in doing so. Maybe the Court should take another look at his Constitutional Qualifications-—and demand discovery this time.

:rofl:

oh fun. another one of YOUR kind.

:rolleyes:

Imagine President Nixon dressing down the Supreme Court during his SOTU speech after the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling. Obama's behavior in "embarrassing the court" during the speech was not "respecting the Separation of Powers" in doing so. Maybe the Court should take another look at his Constitutional Qualifications-—and demand discovery this time.

And it wouldn't be the first time a politician in general has disagreed with the SCOTUS. I mean how many Republicans disagree with Roe V Wade? Or how many would of disagreed if Heller got shot down?

As a President you are suppose to respect the seperation of Powers during a SOTU address. To chastise the SCOTUS in front of anyone, especially a national audience is unbelievable! Obama should be impeached for attacking the Supreme Court in a SOTU. It is a dangerous thing for a U.S. president to do. Of course, to Obama, it probably seems perfectly normal, given that his role models are dictators. Obama is such an arrogant fool. This is not the end of this.

:rofl:

yea! impeachment for chastising the supreme court!

:thup:

oh man... it's going to be fun watching YOUR input around here.

The Judicial branch also is asked by the people to do its part in making democracy successful. We do not ask the Courts to call non-existent powers into being, but we have a right to expect that conceded powers or those legitimately implied shall be made effective instruments for the common good. Franklin Roosevelt Jan. 1937
State of the Union Address: Franklin D. Roosevelt (January 6, 1937) — Infoplease.com

That is the only time in recent history where the Court itself was called out in a State of the Union address. Justice Alito who is a member of the court and co-equal branch of the Govt. which people tend to forget sometimes made a decision along with 4 other members that some agree and disagree with. However to call out the court in a state of the union and expect the court to sit there stone faced, especially when it is a break in decorum that has existed for sometime now is a bit much to ask. The Justice did not speak outloud and was well within the very rights he is tasked to defend to mouth the words "not true"

Justice Alito IS expected to sit there stone faced. Supreme Court Justices don't applaud when the President of the United States enters the chamber or when he makes his address. The President of the United States is an elected representative of the people...Justice Alito is NOT...Justice Alito broke protocol and exposed himself as a thin skinned political hack...

Going to have to disagree with you on this one with respect to a breaking protocol on the part of the Justice. He like the other members of the court there acted in the same manner with respect to protocol. Which includes not standing or making overt gestures such as appaluse when the President was speaking. Instead when the President borke with decorum and called out the court on a SINGULAR opinion , Justice Alito whispered to himself a reaction, a far cry from breaking with decorum. While it's true that a Justice of the USSC is not elected, the President that the people vote for make the appointment, then the Senate that the people vote for confirm them. So without the peoples consent that Justice would not be there.

Article III
Section 1.
The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

Simply mouthing the words to yourself is not a breach of this good behavior standard. While some may disagree the decision myself among them, what the Justice did was not a violation of decorum or the good behavior standard that a justice is governed under. In fact if it were that standard has been ruled to rise to the level of a misdemeanor and is an impeachable offense and I do not think the Senate will be calling for that anytime soon.

Navy...I suggest you LOOK at Alito's reaction...it is neither subtle or open to interpretation. It was overt (apparent, public) and broke protocol.

Supreme Court Gets Political As Justice Alito Becomes This Year's Joe Wilson

The President of the United States took an oath preserve, protect and defend the Constitution to the best of his ability and to protect the people of those United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic...even when they wear a Robe...

The great object of my fear is the Federal Judiciary. That body, like gravity, ever acting, with noiseless foot, and unalarming advance, gaining ground step by step, and holding what it gains, is engulfing nsidiously the special governments into the jaws of that which feeds them.—
Thomas Jefferson - To Spencer Roane. Washington ed. vii, 212. Ford ed., x, 189. (M. 1821)

I'm puzzled, and amused, at how the tea party populist crowd is running to the defense of corporatism.

It's about Infringement on Free Speech Bone Head. Double Speak, New Speak, Union Speak, has got You pretty screwed up. What are You afraid of? The Rebuttal?

Obama's War With the Court Just Escalated

One of the most dramatic moments in President Obama's State of the Union was his attack on the Supreme Court with the justices arrayed in front of him. "Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests--including foreign corporations--to spend without limit in our elections," Obama declared. This prompted Justice Samuel Alito to shake his head and mouth the words "not true."

Alito had good reason to feel defensive--he replaced Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who recently criticized the 5-4 Citizens United campaign finance decision and suggested she would have voted the other way--and bloggers are already attacking Alito's inappropriate intervention as a "You lie!" moment. Even more significant is what it says about Obama's welcome readiness to attack the Court's conservative majority for its judicial activism in the future. The conservative justices may have calculated that they could strike down campaign finance restrictions without provoking a full-blown presidential backlash. But it takes only a few high-profile presidential attacks to tar a Court as activist in the eyes of history. During the 1930s, the Supreme Court upheld a great deal of FDR's economic recovery program, but the New Deal Court is remembered today as a group of unprincipled activists because of just a handful of high profile decisions that FDR prominently attacked.

Obama's War With The Court Just Escalated | The New Republic

The Rightwing Supremes must buy into the theory that this country is still Right leaning even after the Bush/Repub congress failures and the voter's bitter rejection of them since 2005.

Obama confronting these pompous justices to their faces was one of the highlights of the speech.

Pompous is Obama Pissing on the will of the People.

Look while I disagree with the ruling, it's clear that the court left intact the prohibitions regarding direct contributions to elections from corporations. So to use the term "bankroll" would imply that these companies can now simply send unlimted amounts of money directly to campaigns.

(CN) - The Supreme Court on Thursday killed a central part of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law and ruled that corporations may spend as much as they wish to support or oppose candidates for president and Congress. The 5-4 vote left intact limits on corporate gifts to individual candidates.
Courthouse News Service

you think there's a substantive difference if they can run ad after ad after ad and pervert the information that's being disseminated? Since the money raised in campaigns is largely used for airtime... it is bankrolling campaigns.

Is it really about the Union's and Special Interest's quaking about some competition and rebuttal?

Has a president EVER struck out at the SCOTUS in a SOTU speech before? I think this was a first and he might have shot himself in the foot because Obama's remarks may influence their decisions from his lashing out at them.

Quote:
POLITICO's Kasie Hunt, who's in the House chamber, reports that Justice Samuel Alito mouthed the words "not true" when Obama criticized the Supreme Court's campaign finance decision.

" Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said. "Well I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong."

The shot of the black-robed Supreme Court justices, stone faced, was priceless.

Chuck Schumer stood up behind the justices and clapped vigorously while Alito shook his head and quietly mouthed his discontent.

YouTube - Alito mouths "not true" as Obama criticizes Sup Ct for opening floodgates to special interests

Justice Alito mouths 'not true' - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com

Yeah ... Only Unions And DNC Special Interests should be able weigh in. What is this, Cloud 9? Maybe if Al Gore and Michael Moore were mandated to wear Clown Suits in Public the World would make more sense. Decades of bullshit Documentaries, from the Networks to HBO, Hollywood, slanted partisan crap, at the same time censoring and obstructing, the other side of the story, as you screw in your mercury filled efficiency light bulbs, just a thought.... Fuck Yourself... leave the rest of Us Alone.
How do You know when a DNC Partisan Hack is Lying? It starts out with "Everyone agree's", spare us.

'Decades of bullshit Documentaries, from the Networks to HBO, Hollywood' to prevent mercury filled people...

I want the constitution to be upheld.

You should too.

Stop covering for barry's lies.

no. you don't. the constitution protects individual rights. the right wants to destroy individual rights at every turn and pretend that corporations are people??? it's a cosmic joke. and every lawyer and judge i know is disgusted... but you all are talking about how you want t o uphold the constitution??? puleeze... Xeno, we're friends, and I like you, but we're not going to talk about this any more.

and that's the last i'm going to say on this subject.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

And it wouldn't be the first time a politician in general has disagreed with the SCOTUS. I mean how many Republicans disagree with Roe V Wade? Or how many would of disagreed if Heller got shot down?

As a President you are suppose to respect the seperation of Powers during a SOTU address. To chastise the SCOTUS in front of anyone, especially a national audience is unbelievable! Obama should be impeached for attacking the Supreme Court in a SOTU. It is a dangerous thing for a U.S. president to do. Of course, to Obama, it probably seems perfectly normal, given that his role models are dictators. Obama is such an arrogant fool. This is not the end of this.

BOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Moooooommmmmmyyyyyyy! Make that man stop picking on us! BOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! :(

There were no corporations when they wrote the Constitution. So to provide this protection now is to revise the original meaning of the Constitution.

Your side is so full of bullshit about protection the original intent.

I am torn between asking You to lower your medications and asking You to share them with the rest of Us. If it was shown to You that Corporations did exist, even before Our Nation, would it have any effect on You at all? Are You capable of redemption?

THIS is the lie ladies:

"Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said.

It was NOT a "century of law" and they CANNOT "spend without limit." And "foreign corporations" and even DOMESTIC ones STILL cannot contribute directly to political campaigns!

It's just a flat-out LIE and mis-representation of the ruling.

Moveon.org made political campaign ads against McCain and for Obama, yet gave no money to Obama's campaign.

Swiftboat Veterans made ads against Kerry and for Bush and gave not a cent to Bush.

Either group could have spent unlimited money - if they had it.

Now that corporations are considered equal to "American Citizens", free speech says they can spend all the money they want without giving a single cent to any particular candidate.

Foreign corporations who have a subsidiary here which employs American Citizens is considered EQUAL to an American Citizen and can do exactly the same thing.

Republicans are like children's scissors, cute, colorful, not too sharp. Don't feed 'em and they won't "breed".

-----------

One wonders, do Republicans really feel that foreign corporations spending unlimited money in American political campaigns is a "GOOD" thing? I always thought they didn't like foreigners. Now they want them in our political process? So, which do Republicans prefer? Muslims, Atheists, Communists?

Translation: If You can't control it from cradle to grave , It's the Devil. LOL What ever You do, stay away from looking into your reflection.

The Supreme Court issued an opinion. The President gave his opinion. Members of Congress stood up and clapped expressing their opinion. Justice Alito expressed his opinion quietly. We are stating our opinons here. Alito is restricted in giving his opinion? The Constitution doesn't work that way. The President better wise up and realize that these pointed speeches are not going to go unchallenged.

Forum List

Back