Both are wrong

Are you trying to say I am wrong? If so you are going to have to try a little harder and explain where I am wrong.

You stated this;

"You can't give millions to a campaign. You are restricted to the amount one can give to a campaign. The ruling did nothing about how we fund a candidates campaign."

You obviously DO NOT UNDERSTAND what DARK MONEY is, and have not read any of the links I have posted, otherwise, you would not have made such a grossly inaccurate statement.

1) Yes, you CAN give millions to issues, if the campaign implies those issues are tied to it. This is generally done AFTER primary season.

Bite me. You don't get to change the discussion and then claim I was wrong.

I replied to a statement about someone giving millions to a candidates campaign. You can NOT do that.

If you need so badly to be correct that you are standing on semantics? Fine, I'll tell you that you are right.

It still won't change the millions that are going to be fed into the system by trade groups, international finance, Big Pharma, Insurance industry, Org. Labor, etc.

. . . and the dozen oligarchs that run the place. :71:

More money, less transparency: A decade under Citizens United

CHART2 by Open Secrets - Infogram

"OpenSecrets' original research indicates:

• Despite fears that elections would be dominated by corporations, the biggest political players are actually wealthy individual donors. The 10 most generous donors and their spouses injected $1.2 billion into federal elections over the last decade. That tiny group of major donors accounted for 7 percent of total election-related giving in 2018, up from less than 1 percent a decade prior.
  • The balance of political power shifted from political parties to outside groups that can spend unlimited sums to bolster their preferred candidates. Election-related spending from non-party independent groups ballooned to $4.5 billion over the decade. It totaled just $750 million over the two decades prior.
  • Even political candidates found themselves dwarfed by independent groups that in many cases morphed into effective arms of political campaigns and parties. Outside spending surpassed candidate spending in 126 races since the ruling. That happened just 15 times in the five election cycles prior.
  • Despite promises from the court that monied interests would be required to reveal their political giving, the ruling gave new powers to dark money organizations. Groups that don't disclose their donors flooded elections with $963 million in outside spending, compared to a paltry $129 million over the previous decade.
  • Major corporations didn't take full advantage of their new political powers. Corporations accounted for no more than one-tenth of independent groups' fundraising in each election cycle since the ruling. But secretly funded nonprofits and trade associations that influence elections take money from major companies in amounts that are mostly unknown.
  • The ruling didn't reverse the ban on foreign money in elections, but it provided opportunities for foreign actors to secretly funnel money to elections through nonprofits and shell companies.. . . "

It wasn't semantics. It was simple facts. Do you have a problem with a discussion being based upon actual facts?

Yeah. . it IS semantics. The simple FACT is, you can give millions of dollars to a campaign, you just have to WORD it the right way. By definition, THAT IS SEMANTICS.

DUH!

Did you even watch that second video? It is so obvious that you are wrong. . .. :auiqs.jpg:
semantics-definition.png

No you can not. It matters none how you word it.

Wow. Just wow. I proved you wrong and you sit there and deny it. Must be a foreign troll or something.

All citizens are "special interests" and have the constitutional right to free speech and to contribute to their causes.

That groups of citizens choose to exercise these rights in a collective manner is supported by the same constitutional amendment.

Foreign contributions are a separate issue, and responsibility for accepting such contributions should sit solely with the candidate receiving them.

True, but corporations should not be considered citizens in regard to the Bill of Rights.

They are by definition a collection of citizens, exercising individual rights collectively.

A corporation is not a person nor should they ever be considered one. The Constitution does not grant any rights to corporations.

Corporations are not the people they supposedly represent and only the Board has the ability to make decisions.
The government makes policies that affect people's corporation, therefore they have freedom of speech to attack or defend candidates. Citizens United is a freedom of speech issue.

A corporation does not have any rights. Citizens United has nothing to do with freedom of speech. The federal government can ban corporate contributions.

Would you be surprised if I told you that American politics was already corrupt?

The Constitution does not grant any rights to corporations.
The Constitution can't grant rights- neither can a person- rights are inherent and pre date any document- law makers can grants favors, privileges or inalienable rights (see the 14th amendment) anything granted can be taken- privileges-

unalienable rights inherent can only be restricted

The constitution, originally, was to help protect what the founders believed to be unalienable rights from a tyrannical entity known as the federal government- law writers grant favors to those with the resources to pay for play providing a privilege-

Corporations are not the people they supposedly represent and only the Board has the ability to make decisions.
The government makes policies that affect people's corporation, therefore they have freedom of speech to attack or defend candidates. Citizens United is a freedom of speech issue.

A corporation does not have any rights. Citizens United has nothing to do with freedom of speech. The federal government can ban corporate contributions.
You do not understand Freedom of Speech.
The USSC does.

With bated breath, I await your post claiming water not to be wet.

Hurry, hurry!

Maybe someday someone will actually suggest doing that. Not likely though.

Forum List

Back