Information: Evidence for a Creator

Are you being deliberately obtuse? There is no method whereby matter and energy can create something that is immaterial. Information is immaterial. Get it now?

You lost me with that comment. I don't understand what you mean when you say information is immaterial. Are you saying information doesn't exist until it is described by an intelligent being? Are you referring to knowledge as different from information?
Did you even read the article? It explains all that.

I read the article and I disagree with it. Perhaps you can explain it to me more clearly.

Here is the final conclusion of your article

The presupposition of the Bible is that there is a God who created the universe, the earth, and all organisms living on earth. This has been shown to be consistent with scientific discoveries that there is a nonmaterial third fundamental entity called information that originates only from an intelligent source. The universe consists of more than just mass and energy, and the information found within the DNA system of all life originated from an all-knowing, all-powerful Creator God.

And again, I disagree with it. The information contained in DNA is the result of complex chemical bonding that required only the laws of physics. It requires no intelligence. If you wish to believe the Big Bang was the creation of an all-powerful all-knowing God, I have no complaints. But from that point onward, it has all been operating on autopilot. God has merely been a bystander.
I ask you again. Where did the information in DNA come from? Chemical reactions are not able to create meaningful information. Matter and energy cannot create something that is immaterial. As the article states, all information is the restult of intelligence. Information cannot exist without it.

It seems to me it must take a person of very little faith to try and seek evidence of a higher power to reassure themselves. Isn't it true that salvation is only possible through faith, not proof?

I don't think he is trying to reassure himself, but that he is trying to assure others.

Last edited:
I ask you again. Where did the information in DNA come from? Chemical reactions are not able to create meaningful information. Matter and energy cannot create something that is immaterial. As the article states, all information is the restult of intelligence. Information cannot exist without it.

I say the article is wrong and rests on faulty logic and faulty definitions.

The information in DNA is the result of evolution. The DNA molecule combines paired groups of four amino acids - guanine, thymine, adenine, and cytosine (G,T,A,C). These will only pair A with T, and C with G. These combine into long chains to form the chromosomes that are the genetic information of life. No supreme being or higher power or creator was required. Just the laws of physics.

I say the article is wrong and rests on faulty logic and faulty definitions.

The information in DNA is the result of evolution. The DNA molecule combines paired groups of four amino acids - guanine, thymine, adenine, and cytosine (G,T,A,C). These will only pair A with T, and C with G. These combine into long chains to form the chromosomes that are the genetic information of life. No supreme being or higher power or creator was required. Just the laws of physics.
The laws of physics cannot create information. That is something that only intelligence is capable of.

Last edited:
Information theory in physics gives no evidence of a creator god. But it does theorize that the universe is a vast quantum computer and that we are living in a computer simulation. That is not evidence for the Christian god, in fact I would say that it is more in line with what Jakob Boehme and other heretics have said. If the universe is primarily binary information (I believe it is) a series of ought or noughts then this would be a direct contradiction of Christian scripture.

Information theory in physics gives no evidence of a creator god. But it does theorize that the universe is a vast quantum computer and that we are living in a computer simulation. That is not evidence for the Christian god, in fact I would say that it is more in line with what Jakob Boehme and other heretics have said. If the universe is primarily binary information (I believe it is) a series of ought or noughts then this would be a direct contradiction of Christian scripture.
A theory. Nothing more. I deal with reality. The reality is that information can only be created by intelligence. Can you prove me wrong?

A theory. Nothing more. I deal with reality. The reality is that information can only be created by intelligence. Can you prove me wrong?
Yes I can prove you wrong because you and the author just do not understand information theory. Binary information is an extremely simple form of information and their is no need for there to be an intelligence to create it. The universe in theory is a binary fractal algorithm. All you need is a simple string of information like:01011 and the rest will take care of itself without a creator. Like I said if anything information theory contradicts Christian theology.

The reality is that you continue to use a faulty definition of information.
That's funny. I'm using the definition provided by a group of scientists. Did you have a different one?

My definition does not require intelligence for the creation of information. As I have said before, information can exist in and of itself, contained in a chemical structure or the wavelength of a photon or the number of protons in a nucleus or any number of other physical properties.

The reality is that you continue to use a faulty definition of information.
That's funny. I'm using the definition provided by a group of scientists. Did you have a different one?

My definition does not require intelligence for the creation of information. As I have said before, information can exist in and of itself, contained in a chemical structure or the wavelength of a photon or the number of protons in a nucleus or any number of other physical properties.
The examples you provided are not meaningful information. Look up specified, complex information. That's what DNA is, along with every other form of communication. Such information is the exclusive result of intelligence.

ej2oh.jpg

Just to clarify, materialists believe that only matter and energy exist, and that everything that exists is a result Of interactions between the two. This article makes the claim that information also exists independent of matter and energy. It also makes the claim that all meaningful information originates from an intelligent mind. This includes the information in DNA.

Perhaps you can give an example of information existing independent of matter, as the author of that article failed to give any.

Just to clarify, materialists believe that only matter and energy exist, and that everything that exists is a result Of interactions between the two. This article makes the claim that information also exists independent of matter and energy. It also makes the claim that all meaningful information originates from an intelligent mind. This includes the information in DNA.

Perhaps you can give an example of information existing independent of matter, as the author of that article failed to give any.
He gave several examples. Maybe you should read it again. Matter and energy cannot be destroyed. Information can. Matter and energy are used to convey information. They are not the information. Many mediums can be used to convey information. Everything from smoke signals to encrypted electronic communications. But they are not information. They merely represent the information.

He gave several examples. Maybe you should read it again. Matter and energy cannot be destroyed. Information can. Matter and energy are used to convey information. They are not the information. Many mediums can be used to convey information. Everything from smoke signals to encrypted electronic communications. But they are not information. They merely represent the information.

Neither you nor the author have given evidence that information has ever existed without matter/energy. So the word evidence in the title is misleading.

Matter and energy are used to convey information. They are not the information.
I really don't think you or the author of that article understand information theory and quantum physics.

How Information Theory Unifies Quantum Mechanics Motherboard

Physical information - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Is Information Fundamental - The Nature of Reality The Nature of Reality PBS

Matter and energy ARE information.
You didn't read the article, or you wouldn't have posted this BS. It contains the universal definition of information. Read the article, then we might be able to have a intelligent discussion.

You didn't read the article, or you wouldn't have posted this BS. It contains the universal definition of information. Read the article, then we might be able to have a intelligent discussion.

I reread the article and found the errors in my approach and the real flaws in the author's discussion. The issue isn't the author's definition of information. In fact, he states:

Since all living systems contain DNA and DNA information contains all four attributes, it meets the UDI definition of information. Furthermore, the capacity and density of the information encoded in DNA surpasses anything mankind has accomplished.

His fatal flaw lies here:

The information encoded in DNA is billions of times more compact than a modern PC hard drive.

How long would it take using naturalistic processes to type out such a code?

A billion universes each populated by billions of typing monkeys could not type out a single gene of this genome

So, I'm working on a further response. When I get the logic and terminology correct, I'll get back to you.

There is a book that discusses this issue in detail and completely blows away the author's theory.

The Blind Watchmaker Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design Richard Dawkins Lalla Ward 9781491574492 Amazon.com Books

Forum List

Back