Indian Wells Williams' Boycott

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Many years ago when the Williams sisters were first coming into prominence, they were scheduled to play a semi-final match against each other at Indian Wells. Their father was perceived at the time to be a manipulative jerk who dictated which of the sisters would win a given match, unless the match was in the finals of a tournament. True or not, this was the perception.

With almost no notice (fans were in the stands waiting for the match to start), Venus pulled out of the semifinal due to an undisclosed injury, giving her sister a walk-over into the finals. The fans were pissed.

When Serena came out for the final a couple days later, the fans booed her and cheered lustily for her white, European opponent. Serena, of course, won the championship.

And from that time until today - for more than 10 years, the Williams sisters have declined to play in this prestigious tournament, which is deemed by most fans and players as one of a couple of "fifth Majors" on the global calendar.

It is speculated that the girls were expecting and waiting for a formal apology from the tournament sponsors (who have changed in the interim) and, never getting one, this unofficial, undeclared "boycott" went on for longer than it might have otherwise.

Serena Williams received standing ovation fought tears and won while ending 14-year boycott at Indian Wells For The Win

Her return to Indian Wells was loving and triumphant.

The question is this: What the hell does this story have to do with Race?

Many years ago when the Williams sisters were first coming into prominence, they were scheduled to play a semi-final match against each other at Indian Wells. Their father was perceived at the time to be a manipulative jerk who dictated which of the sisters would win a given match, unless the match was in the finals of a tournament. True or not, this was the perception.

With almost no notice (fans were in the stands waiting for the match to start), Venus pulled out of the semifinal due to an undisclosed injury, giving her sister a walk-over into the finals. The fans were pissed.

When Serena came out for the final a couple days later, the fans booed her and cheered lustily for her white, European opponent. Serena, of course, won the championship.

And from that time until today - for more than 10 years, the Williams sisters have declined to play in this prestigious tournament, which is deemed by most fans and players as one of a couple of "fifth Majors" on the global calendar.

It is speculated that the girls were expecting and waiting for a formal apology from the tournament sponsors (who have changed in the interim) and, never getting one, this unofficial, undeclared "boycott" went on for longer than it might have otherwise.

Serena Williams received standing ovation fought tears and won while ending 14-year boycott at Indian Wells For The Win

Her return to Indian Wells was loving and triumphant.

The question is this: What the hell does this story have to do with Race?
When people call you a ****** it pretty much has everything to do with race idiot.

No, the media coverage of the undeclared boycott and her return have all treated this as a race-based story. Are you personally aware of any reliable news accounts of significant numbers of "fans" addressing Serena with race-based perjoratives?

No, the media coverage of the undeclared boycott and her return have all treated this as a race-based story. Are you personally aware of any reliable news accounts of significant numbers of "fans" addressing Serena with race-based perjoratives?
Yes. Her father said they were called racial epitaphs including ******. I dont know what you mean by "significant" since you aren't the one that determines what is "significant" to a person.

Joel Drucker The story behind the Williamses and Indian Wells - ESPN

"Nine days after the Indian Wells final, a USA Today article appears containing these comments from Richard Williams: "When Venus and I were walking down the stairs to our seats, people kept calling me 'n-----.' One said, 'I wish it was '75, we'd skin you alive.' … I think Indian Wells disgraced America."

Indian Wells tournament director Charlie Pasarell also is quoted in the article: "I was cringing when all that stuff was going on. It was unfair for the crowd to do that.""

Forum List

Back