India Successfully Tested Scramjet Engine

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Scramjet! That sounds hi-tech.

---

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its own scramjet engine Sunday, making India the fourth country in the world to have achieved the feat.

The scramjet engine, with its air-breathing propulsion system, uses hydrogen as fuel and oxygen from the atmospheric air as the oxidizer, unlike regular engines that need to carry both fuel and oxidizer. While the rocket is in supersonic speed, the technology compresses the atmospheric oxygen, which then acts as an oxidizer to burn the fuel being carried.

As a part of the country’s first experimental mission in the field, two scramjet engines took off from the launch pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh early Sunday. The Advanced Technology Vehicle (ATV) carrying the engines touched down in the Bay of Bengal — 320 kilometers (199 miles) from Sriharikota — after a flight of 300 seconds, Indian newspaper the Hindu reported.

Indian Space Mission: ISRO Launch Makes India Fourth Nation To Successfully Test Scramjet Engine

---

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its own scramjet engine Sunday, making India the fourth country in the world to have achieved the feat.

The scramjet engine, with its air-breathing propulsion system, uses hydrogen as fuel and oxygen from the atmospheric air as the oxidizer, unlike regular engines that need to carry both fuel and oxidizer. While the rocket is in supersonic speed, the technology compresses the atmospheric oxygen, which then acts as an oxidizer to burn the fuel being carried.

As a part of the country’s first experimental mission in the field, two scramjet engines took off from the launch pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh early Sunday. The Advanced Technology Vehicle (ATV) carrying the engines touched down in the Bay of Bengal — 320 kilometers (199 miles) from Sriharikota — after a flight of 300 seconds, Indian newspaper the Hindu reported.

Indian Space Mission: ISRO Launch Makes India Fourth Nation To Successfully Test Scramjet Engine

sheeeesh on the VERGE of FUSION technology-----next comes DA FUSION BOMB......all well and good---except for
that weird SIMMERING ON THE BACK BURNER---ALLIANCE
with the AXIS powers------China, Russia, Iran-------and Krishna only knows-----even SYRIA AND TURKEY.
........for the sake of decency---leave the kurds out of it

---

sheeeesh on the VERGE of FUSION technology-----next comes DA FUSION BOMB......all well and good---except for
with the AXIS powers------China, Russia, Iran-------and Krishna only knows-----even SYRIA AND TURKEY.

I do not know where you get your news from but you are wrong. The so called axis is formed by Iran, Pakistan and China. I guess you have missed the latest unpleasantry exchanged between Russia and Iran.

---

I do not know where you get your news from but you are wrong. The so called axis is formed by Iran, Pakistan and China. I guess you have missed the latest unpleasantry exchanged between Russia and Iran.

they are still bedfellows (Russia and Iran------via Syria) As to
Pakistan and Iran and China ----all in a pile------
I am so overwhelmingly estrogen primed----that I am beginning
to feel sorry for Pakistan

---

Iran, Pakistan and China have a history of military co-operation. During 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, both Iran and China openly supported Pakistan during latter's military conflict with India. Iran transferred its naval and air assets to Pakistan and China deployed large number of troops on its border with India to dilute the strength of India's military deployment against Pakistan.

On the other hand Russia and Israel supported India.

Last edited:

---

Iran, Pakistan and China have a history of military co-operation. During 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, both Iran and China openly supported Pakistan during latter's military conflict with India. Iran transferred its naval and air assets to Pakistan and China deployed large number of troops on its border with India to dilute the strength of India's military deployment against Pakistan.

RIGHT--- a very honest bangla deshi told me that the turmoil
in East Pakistan was created by the Indian military and the IDF------both raped muslim girls---left and right-----something like 1/4 million of them. They didn't rape the hindu girls---just the muslim girls. Lots of people do not know about the rapist pigs of the indian military and Mossad-----some people
believe that the West Pakistanis did it.

---

you seem to have missed the latest CALIPH ERDOGAN flirts with Russia and China------he is willing to kiss ass for the sake of the OTTOMAN CALIPHATE-----probably would like to appoint the Caliph of the MUGHAL EMPIRE too-----remember the MUGHAL EMPIRE-----when everyone was ecstatic with JOY?

If it uses oxygen from air, then how does this engine go to space? Or does it compress like enough oxygen to carry on when the air runs out?

I did not even read the article----and----don't know much about space travel BUT the big issue in space travel is getting OUT of the earth's gravitational field-----for that one needs a GIANT
THRUST-------after that------its a bit of a cake walk------except the part that involves GETTING BACK

If it uses oxygen from air, then how does this engine go to space? Or does it compress like enough oxygen to carry on when the air runs out?

I did not even read the article----and----don't know much about space travel BUT the big issue in space travel is getting OUT of the earth's gravitational field-----for that one needs a GIANT
THRUST-------after that------its a bit of a cake walk------except the part that involves GETTING BACK

This is why I tell you not to derail a thread but you do not listen. You end-up confusing people. BTW, I nearly fell of my chair when I read your post because you were right on mark.

This is why I tell you not to derail a thread but you do not listen. You end-up confusing people. BTW, I nearly fell of my chair when I read your post because you were right on mark.

it's the hashish----it clears the MIND

I read somewhere that the Earth - Moon system has like 5 Lagrangian points in space where all the gravitates cancel out between them. In that case, putting launching stations there would get around the problem. Although ... we still need that rocket to get to that launching station. Hmmm.

I read somewhere that the Earth - Moon system has like 5 Lagrangian points in space where all the gravitates cancel out between them. In that case, putting launching stations there would get around the problem. Although ... we still need that rocket to get to that launching station. Hmmm.

Well, as you know, further you get away from Earth, weaker the gravitational force of Earth becomes. So the idea behind scramjet engine is to get the payload as high as possible solely oxidized by atmospheric oxygen. This means that you do not have to carry additional oxygen tanks which reduces the weight of the rocket making it more fuel efficient. It requires very sophisticated technology through compression of atmospheric oxygen during the flight of the rocket. Even advanced countries like China and Japan have run into issue developing this technology. So this is definitely a good milestone for India.

In 2004, NASA demonstrated the capability to use the scramjet technology, followed by an ISRO ground test of the engine in 2006. A number of other countries like Japan, China and Russia are attempting to develop or test the supersonic combustor technology.

Forum List

Back