incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

Hang on a moment.

What was wrong with good old gas lighting and why aren't the anti progress lot advocating a return?

Stockholmgas_1953.jpg
For the number of lumens produced gas lighting is expensive. Most of the energy from gas is converted to heat not light.

Yes, old fashioned bulbs don't use gas to do this.
That's OK then.

Hang on a moment.

What was wrong with good old gas lighting and why aren't the anti progress lot advocating a return?

Stockholmgas_1953.jpg
For the number of lumens produced gas lighting is expensive. Most of the energy from gas is converted to heat not light.

That's OK then.
The old fashion bulbs work like a toaster oven. They run a lot of electricity through a wire producing a hell of a lot of heat and a small amount of light.

Last edited:

That's OK then.
The old fashion bulbs work like a toaster oven. They run a lot of electricity through a wire producing a hell of lot of heat and a small amount of light.

Much like conservative dogma.

The Energy Independence and Security Act was signed into law in 2007 by your boy Georgie and his buddies. So yeah there's some lies being told.

There goes another reason why the right wing are fucking idiots as far as this light bulb issue is concerned.
The right are generally the ones against banning old, wasteful bulbs but the same fools want the U.S. of A. to have nothing to do with Arabs.

Dudes, saving energy helps America become less dependent on oil rich states, including the Arabic countries you hate so much.

Now, be good chaps and put your brains in gear before posting.

Hello? Anyone in there? We are no longer an energy dependent state. We are an energy exporter. So no only is global warming a lie, the need to conserve is also a lie.

I wouldn't bother arfuing with him. He's not even from here. And he called me a rightwinger after I just pointed out what idiots they are.

I knew we could count on you to pimp for a Chicom website!

China's Alibaba reports media blackmail attempt to police | Reuters

Alibaba's listing on the New York Stock Exchange could be one of the biggest initial public offerings ever. The company, founded by Jack Ma, is now looking at a September debut, a source told Reuters on Thursday.

On topic.
My house is now ALL LED light, and my electricity bill is tiny.
In the evening, if we're just relaxing, maybe watching TV or messing on the internet, we just use small USB computer type LED lights. They produce enough light to see by, say of we want to get to the fridge for a drink of iced water, but use almost no power.
It's also very comfortable on the eyes.
A simple casing makes them look nice, and the wiring is 'off the shelf' USB leads, fixed into the wall as with normal mains cables, but extremely safe and very easy to install.
Should a lamp go faulty, it's just plug in a new one, but none have yet.
The power supplies are standard USB chargers.

Those who refuse to move on with technology, especially when that tech gives so much advantage, are really very silly.

I have been buying incandescent bulbs at ten cents a piece and will sell them in a year for ten dollars each......I will become a lightbulb millionaire

People will miss their old inefficient bulbs and will come crawling to me!

Ha......ha.....ha.....ha
I have a big stash of 40w and 100w incandescents in my garage because I can't stand the effect of the new bulbs. Also, I use dimmers on all my lamps and wall switches for two reasons: One is the adjustable lighting level, the other is they greatly extend the life of an incandescent bulb.

This is so because an incandescent bulb works by passing current across a filament of a specific diameter causing it to glow and ignite a gas contained in the bulb. In time the heat generated by the current rating degrades the filament, which weakens, separates, the current stops flowing, and the bulb "burns out."

A dimmer actually reduces the amount of current flowing across the filament, thereby extending its life. E.g., dimming a 60w bulb to approximate the illumination level of a 40w bulb will extend the life of the bulb by a factor of eight or ten. I base that estimate on how long my bulbs last. In fact I replace bulbs so infrequently I'm sure my stash will last the remainder of my lifetime.

Also, even though I have fifteen dimmer switches installed I'm sure the money I save by rarely replacing bulbs compensates the cost of the dimmers.

If you like incandescents, and if you have a stash, the price of remaining stocks of dimmers will soon be coming down because they don't work with CFLs. So I suggest you pick up some dimmers and extend the soft, pleasing effect of incandescent lighting far into your future.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely shocked you lot are still using CFLs.
In Indonesia, you can still buy the old style heater bulbs, but they're a side bit of the bulb shelves in the supermarket.
Next comes CFLs, but their shelf space is shrinking faster than a penis dipped in ice water.
LEDs are the norm here.

I have CFL's and see no reason to replace them with LED's, which are still VERY expensive.

Earlier in the thread, I linked to a site where you can find suppliers, and import them into the states at far lower prices than were mentioned on this thread. They start at less than two dollars, rising for branded items. I have been using several of the really cheap ones for several months, none have failed as yet.
My post above, mentions and quotes another poster - follow the links back until you find it.
Alibaba is the site.
Capitalism is lovely - give it a blast.

The OP is such an asshat its beyond hysterical.

In the past 3 years, Ive asked AGW climate crusader fascists in this forum this question.......

HOW IS THE SCIENCE MATTERING??

# of responses? ZERO.:2up::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

So I'll answer the question!! Banning of incandescent lightbulbs is the ONLY applicable answer.

So for all the bomb throwing from the AGW k00ks, since 2007, this is their one notable achievement that relates to the "consensus science".:clap2::banana::banana::banana:

Know what that's called?

:DnOt wInNiNg:D

I have CFL's and see no reason to replace them with LED's, which are still VERY expensive.

Earlier in the thread, I linked to a site where you can find suppliers, and import them into the states at far lower prices than were mentioned on this thread. They start at less than two dollars, rising for branded items. I have been using several of the really cheap ones for several months, none have failed as yet.
My post above, mentions and quotes another poster - follow the links back until you find it.
Alibaba is the site.

Reread what I posted. I already have CFL's. They work fine. LED's are only marginally (if at all) more efficient. Thus, there is no reason to replace my perfectly-good CFL's.

Alibaba is the site.

Reread what I posted. I already have CFL's. They work fine. LED's are only marginally (if at all) more efficient. Thus, there is no reason to replace my perfectly-good CFL's.

LED's are only marginally (if at all) more efficient

much more efficient

but expensive to install

just did a conversion for a hotel

but it had lots of 24/7 lights running

Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart

Last edited:
Also, I use dimmers on all my lamps and wall switches for two reasons: One is the adjustable lighting level, the other is they greatly extend the life of an incandescent bulb.

That lowers the efficiency a lot, causing an even greater fraction of the energy to make heat instead of light. So you save on bulbs, but lose money overall because you're spending so much more on electricity.

When governments began phasing out incandescent bulbs, it spurred a new era in lighting technology. Go back 10 or 15 years and look at the lighting industry. There was little research and development other than marketing. It was a commodity industry producing the same inefficient bulbs that have been produced for 20 years with little change. The incandescent lighting industry was in a race to the bottom to produce the cheapest and lowest quality bulbs. Investing in the light bulb industry was about as attractive as investing buggy whips.

The LED lighting industry is in it's infancy. Lighting giants such GE are pouring money into research and development. LED technology is a huge step forward compared to the old incandescent bulbs, offering improved brightness, lower energy consumption and longer life spans.

Last edited:
Also, I use dimmers on all my lamps and wall switches for two reasons: One is the adjustable lighting level, the other is they greatly extend the life of an incandescent bulb.

That lowers the efficiency a lot, causing an even greater fraction of the energy to make heat instead of light. So you save on bulbs, but lose money overall because you're spending so much more on electricity.
I think the basic sales appeal of dimmers was they provide a convenient way of lower the light level in a room, not saving money.

The OP is such an asshat its beyond hysterical.

In the past 3 years, Ive asked AGW climate crusader fascists in this forum this question.......

HOW IS THE SCIENCE MATTERING??

# of responses? ZERO.:2up::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

So I'll answer the question!! Banning of incandescent lightbulbs is the ONLY applicable answer.

So for all the bomb throwing from the AGW k00ks, since 2007, this is their one notable achievement that relates to the "consensus science".:clap2::banana::banana::banana:

Know what that's called?

:DnOt wInNiNg:D

It's saving everyone a pile of cash - well, intelligent people anyway.
Dumbos are still wasting theirs.

Alibaba is the site.

LED's are only marginally (if at all) more efficient

much more efficient

but expensive to install

just did a conversion for a hotel

but it had lots of 24/7 lights running

Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart

stop "making stuff up" to suit your argument [MENTION=39447]Jarlaxle[/MENTION] :talktothehand:

One more time for the slow kid: a 60W replacement LED bulb uses 10 watts. The 60W replacement CFL's I have use 13 watts. The benefit of switching to LED lighting simply is not worth the cost at this time!

One more time for the slow kid: a 60W replacement LED bulb uses 10 watts. The 60W replacement CFL's I have use 13 watts. The benefit of switching to LED lighting simply is not worth the cost at this time!
One of big reasons people choose LEDs over CFL's is they last 5 times longer. That means 1/5 the labor cost in changing bulbs, which can be significant in businesses with large numbers of bulbs or bulbs that are in hard to reach places.

However, there are many other reasons.
  • They produce almost no heat reducing the risk of fires or accidental burns.
  • They contain no mercury which reduces disposal problems.
  • They are available in many colors making them more suitable for different applications and taste.
  • They use less energy than CFLS.
  • Unlike CFLs, LEDs can be powered with something as small as a watch battery.
  • They can't be manufactured in a number of different forms and shapes making them ideal for displays.
  • They are very small compared to other bulbs which means smaller fixtures and more applications.

Last edited:
One of big reasons people choose LEDs over CFL's is they last 5 times longer. That means 1/5 the labor cost in changing bulbs, which can be significant in businesses with large numbers of bulbs or bulbs that are in hard to reach places.

However, there are many other reasons.
  • They produce almost no heat reducing the risk of fires or accidental burns.
  • They contain no mercury which reduces disposal problems.
  • They are available in many colors making them more suitable for different applications and taste.
  • They use less energy than CFLS.
  • Unlike CFLs, LEDs can be powered with something as small as a watch battery.
  • They can't be manufactured in a number of different forms and shapes making them ideal for displays.
  • They are very small compared to other bulbs which means smaller fixtures and more applications.

exactly

Forum List

Back