incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

One more time for the slow kid: a 60W replacement LED bulb uses 10 watts. The 60W replacement CFL's I have use 13 watts. The benefit of switching to LED lighting simply is not worth the cost at this time!

i do not agree with your numbers

however even a three watt saving per hundreds of bulbs

lite 24/7 would be quite a savings over a course of a year

and not considering the replacement ration

of cfls to leds

The thing that really amazes me, is the price of LED bulbs in the States, and how, for a nation of capitalists, no bugger does anything about it, even though I've linked to the manufacturers, so you can see how much you're being ripped off.

The thing that really amazes me, is the price of LED bulbs in the States, and how, for a nation of capitalists, no bugger does anything about it, even though I've linked to the manufacturers, so you can see how much you're being ripped off.

at the store they are expensive

when buying in volume (thousands) it is cheaper

and then there are variables

That store buys from a wholesaler.
The wholesaler buys from China.

Anyone could do the same, but undercut the rest, making a handsome short term profit.
The prices are all on Alibaba, all you have to do is look, and do something about it.

Incandescent bulbs are still being sold in my area...

You can still get them in Indonesia, with no law I'm aware of to stop you.

Just that hardly any bugger buys them any more.
As I said before, still quite a lot of CFLs, but they're a poor second to LED.

Tech moves on quickly.
100 year old stuff lasted because tech was slow for a while, but it moves on exponentially, improving at an ever faster rate.
That explains why CFLs are old hat after only about 10 years.
I see new buildings with solar panels, powering storage units of some sort, able to power low voltage LED bulbs all night, probably at zero cost.
We are now seeing all LED motorcycles coming onto the market, even they see the value in not wasting energy, and not having to bother changing lamps.
Safety and fuel efficiency, at no cost to the users.
You'd have to be mad not to want it.

In years to come, people will look back at this debate and wonder how some posters managed to breath without instructions or assistance.

Anyone could do the same, but undercut the rest, making a handsome short term profit.
The prices are all on Alibaba, all you have to do is look, and do something about it.

in our conversions we are not buying them and if needed the appliances

from a store

but thanks for the the info

they're clearing out the warehouses no doubt.

xao1.png

Incandescent bulbs are still being sold in my area...

You can still get them in Indonesia, with no law I'm aware of to stop you.

Just that hardly any bugger buys them any more.
As I said before, still quite a lot of CFLs, but they're a poor second to LED.

Tech moves on quickly.
100 year old stuff lasted because tech was slow for a while, but it moves on exponentially, improving at an ever faster rate.
That explains why CFLs are old hat after only about 10 years.
I see new buildings with solar panels, powering storage units of some sort, able to power low voltage LED bulbs all night, probably at zero cost.
We are now seeing all LED motorcycles coming onto the market, even they see the value in not wasting energy, and not having to bother changing lamps.
Safety and fuel efficiency, at no cost to the users.
You'd have to be mad not to want it.

In years to come, people will look back at this debate and wonder how some posters managed to breath without instructions or assistance.
"The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad,"
President of the Michigan Savings Bank

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp

“We will never make a 32 bit operating system.”
Bill Gates

“A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.”
New York Times, 1936

“Television won’t last. It’s a flash in the pan.”
Mary Somerville, pioneer of radio educational broadcasts, 1948.

Has there ever been a superior product being replaced by an inferior and dangerous product before?

No $3 Asian bulb is going in a socket in my home.. I checked Abi Dabba and MOST of them are NOT certified by reputable 3rd party testing. One lightning transient and you could be looking at replacement or fire hazard. And shorter life..

I've designed power supplies for lighting. And you are installing a full AC to DC switching power supply in every socket.. NOT just a strand of glowing wire.. You NEED somebody to sue when the engineering and quality control burns down your house..

Also, I use dimmers on all my lamps and wall switches for two reasons: One is the adjustable lighting level, the other is they greatly extend the life of an incandescent bulb.

That lowers the efficiency a lot, causing an even greater fraction of the energy to make heat instead of light. So you save on bulbs, but lose money overall because you're spending so much more on electricity.
I think the basic sales appeal of dimmers was they provide a convenient way of lower the light level in a room, not saving money.
Dimming an incandescent bulb reduces the flow of current and greatly prolongs the life of the bulb. I very rarely replace bulbs and while I would pay less for electricity if I used CFLs or LEDs I am willing to pay a bit more for the luxury of the soft, pleasing effect of dimmed incandescent lighting. And based on what I've seen this effect is simply not available from the new bulbs.

No $3 Asian bulb is going in a socket in my home.. I checked Abi Dabba and MOST of them are NOT certified by reputable 3rd party testing. One lightning transient and you could be looking at replacement or fire hazard. And shorter life..

I've designed power supplies for lighting. And you are installing a full AC to DC switching power supply in every socket.. NOT just a strand of glowing wire.. You NEED somebody to sue when the engineering and quality control burns down your house..

Except for the branded product, the stuff that's on American supermarket stalls at the moment.
As for your house wiring; if it can't take a fried circuit without tripping, I'd sue whoever installed it.
You make a rubbish argument.

Dimming an incandescent bulb reduces the flow of current and greatly prolongs the life of the bulb. I very rarely replace bulbs and while I would pay less for electricity if I used CFLs or LEDs I am willing to pay a bit more for the luxury of the soft, pleasing effect of dimmed incandescent lighting. And based on what I've seen this effect is simply not available from the new bulbs.

You haven't looked very hard.
The lower power, yellow effect LEDs do exactly that, but use hardly any power to get the desired light.

People are talking about green, I'm talking about low electricity bills.

Except for the branded product, the stuff that's on American supermarket stalls at the moment.
As for your house wiring; if it can't take a fried circuit without tripping, I'd sue whoever installed it.
You make a rubbish argument.

No rubbish argument -- If its a BRANDED NAME with UL or 3rd party testing -- there is not much of price difference.. Might not be important in a lean-to with corrugated roofing, but no American is gonna risk 1500 sq ft or more to a Chinese designer with a 10th grade science certificate.

It's not the house wiring that's gonna fry, it's the flammable circuits in the base that they didn't bother to design properly.. I've SEEN THIS.. MULTIPLE TIMES.. The amount of dangerous crap coming out of China factories UNBRANDED is legend...

Forum List

Back