incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

That lowers the efficiency a lot, causing an even greater fraction of the energy to make heat instead of light. So you save on bulbs, but lose money overall because you're spending so much more on electricity.
I think the basic sales appeal of dimmers was they provide a convenient way of lower the light level in a room, not saving money.
Dimming an incandescent bulb reduces the flow of current and greatly prolongs the life of the bulb. I very rarely replace bulbs and while I would pay less for electricity if I used CFLs or LEDs I am willing to pay a bit more for the luxury of the soft, pleasing effect of dimmed incandescent lighting. And based on what I've seen this effect is simply not available from the new bulbs.
Dimmers extend the life of an incandescent bulb because they decrease current flow through the bulb however they also reduce the light output. So yes, you could extend the life of say a 100 watt incandescent bulb which will cost you about $1 or less if you can find one. However, dimmers today run $10 to $20 or more. So is it worth spending $10 or $20 and having less light in your room to extend the life a $1 light bulb. It's not worth it to me.

Last edited:
No $3 Asian bulb is going in a socket in my home.. I checked Abi Dabba and MOST of them are NOT certified by reputable 3rd party testing. One lightning transient and you could be looking at replacement or fire hazard. And shorter life..

I've designed power supplies for lighting. And you are installing a full AC to DC switching power supply in every socket.. NOT just a strand of glowing wire.. You NEED somebody to sue when the engineering and quality control burns down your house..

Except for the branded product, the stuff that's on American supermarket stalls at the moment.
As for your house wiring; if it can't take a fried circuit without tripping, I'd sue whoever installed it.
You make a rubbish argument.

No rubbish argument -- If its a BRANDED NAME with UL or 3rd party testing -- there is not much of price difference.. Might not be important in a lean-to with corrugated roofing, but no American is gonna risk 1500 sq ft or more to a Chinese designer with a 10th grade science certificate.

It's not the house wiring that's gonna fry, it's the flammable circuits in the base that they didn't bother to design properly.. I've SEEN THIS.. MULTIPLE TIMES.. The amount of dangerous crap coming out of China factories UNBRANDED is legend...

Fire hazard causes recall for Eco-Story LED lamps - LEDs

A US-based supplier has recalled around 42,000 LED lamps that can pose a fire hazard when used without a class II transformer.

Eco-Story, an LED lamp supplier based in Portland, Maine, has released a recall alert for LED lamps in cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
The product-safety recall is due to a fire hazard and affects about 42,000 units. The recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC.

When used without a Class II transformer, the LED lamps in question can overheat, posing a fire hazard. The CPSC said that the company has received two reports of overheated lamps. No injuries have been reported.
The recall involves 12-volt LED lamps with UL number E316865. The UL number is found on a label located at the base of each lamp.
Manufactured in China, the lamps have been sold to commercial locations, primarily restaurants, from December 2007 through August 2010, for between $19 and $45. The lamps were not sold directly to consumers.
The CPSC says that commercial locations should stop using this lamp immediately and contact Eco-Story for a free replacement lamp which does not require a Class II transformer. The company has contacted all known commercial locations that purchased this lamp

Interesting. One type from one manufacturer, sold only to comercial locations, and Walleyes claims the whole industry is faulty. Kind of like using the Pinto to ban all cars smaller than an F-150 pickup.

Don't forget.....drop a CFL? Run like hell and hold your breath. Breath at the wrong time after a CFL drop and you are maybe pissing blood by morning!! Awesome!!
Nonsense.
CFLs pose no greater threat on breakage than the florescent tubes we've been using for over 60 years. Actually, the new CFL have less mercury in them than the conventional tubes. The broken glass is usually considered a much greater hazard than the small amount of spilled mercury.

Fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incandescent bulbs are still being sold in my area...

You can still get them in Indonesia, with no law I'm aware of to stop you.

Just that hardly any bugger buys them any more.
As I said before, still quite a lot of CFLs, but they're a poor second to LED.

Tech moves on quickly.
100 year old stuff lasted because tech was slow for a while, but it moves on exponentially, improving at an ever faster rate.
That explains why CFLs are old hat after only about 10 years.
I see new buildings with solar panels, powering storage units of some sort, able to power low voltage LED bulbs all night, probably at zero cost.
We are now seeing all LED motorcycles coming onto the market, even they see the value in not wasting energy, and not having to bother changing lamps.
Safety and fuel efficiency, at no cost to the users.
You'd have to be mad not to want it.

In years to come, people will look back at this debate and wonder how some posters managed to breath without instructions or assistance.

it is the receptacle that is changing new lamps and such will not have the familiar base

to support the incandescent bulb

Where do old mercury bulbs go when it's illegal to throw them in the dustbin? As a matter of fact you almost need a haz-mat team if you break one. I have broken several incandescent bulbs over my head during my lifetime and I shudder to think about breaking a mercury bulb over my head. What are they going to do when the landfill gets full of mercury bulbs , arrest people for dumping them illegally?

Where do old mercury bulbs go when it's illegal to throw them in the dustbin? As a matter of fact you almost need a haz-mat team if you break one. I have broken several incandescent bulbs over my head during my lifetime and I shudder to think about breaking a mercury bulb over my head. What are they going to do when the landfill gets full of mercury bulbs , arrest people for dumping them illegally?
Why do you break bulbs over your head? Am I missing something?

actually they want them recycled

CFLs are handled the same as all florescent tubes. They go to a local recycle station. All Home Depots, Loews, Ace Hardware, and True Values have recycle bins for CFLs and other fluorescent tubes. Most communities have lot's cfl recycle drop off points. According to the recycle processors, 99.9% of all mercury from recycled CFLs are recovered and resold.

CFLs put in your home recycle will be removed during the sorting process and routed to a mercury recover processor provided the tubes aren't broken.

Of course if you put your cfls in the garbage, they will end up in a solid waste dump.

So, DC gives a thumbs up to Big Gubmint Crony Corporations getting a low margin product banned so that consumers are forced to buy much more expensive, higher margin products.

Good to see him out himself as a Crony Stooge.

Well, you have to understand. Those EVIL incandescent bulbs were made in America - and we can't have that. The CFL's are made - 100% of them - in China and East Asia. democrats have a plan.

Nonsense.
CFLs pose no greater threat on breakage than the florescent tubes we've been using for over 60 years. Actually, the new CFL have less mercury in them than the conventional tubes. The broken glass is usually considered a much greater hazard than the small amount of spilled mercury.

Fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah lying, that's the leftist answer to all things.

First they take our light bulbs. Tomorrow they will take away our flashlights. then, they will put is in FEMA camps. Then come the death panels.

AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

First they take our light bulbs. Tomorrow they will take away our flashlights. then, they will put is in FEMA camps. Then come the death panels.

AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you mindless thugs stick your noses into issues you cannot understand?

When a better product is availible, people will buy it.

CFL is NOT a better product, never was. It's just padding the pockets of corrupt politicians who sold American workers down the river in favor of China.

LED IS a better product, and will supplant both CFL and incandescent naturally. Yeah I know, Nancy Pelosi gets no bribes from China for the market working in normal fashion.

you bulbheads are so thin-skinned.

You'll see the wisdom of 44's decision :cool: when you bother to do some research into the matter.

Forum List

Back