In the beginning...

I the beginning there was gas. Billions of years later stars formed but not our sun or earth. That didn't happen for another 10 billion years.

Sounds very evolutionary. What evidences do we have for this?

Science math Einstein newton carbon dating etc. Evidence the ancients didn't have when they wrote the creation story.

Sorry if the truth conflicts with your story.
And your scientific reality will only last until your next scientific reality. Ours is eternal.

Don't you see how closed off to our common reality that kind of mentality is?

It smacks of a need for stability, certainty, an unchanging foundation for your system of beliefs and it's more emotional than it is rational.

It's as if you're saying that having an openness to change and uncertainty is a bad thing.

Not trying to understand and simply accepting a proposition without analysis or critical thought in the face of contradicting information is dogma and the very definition of closed mindedness.

If there is one thing about reality we can say with certainty it is that it is in a constant state of change.

I once took a course in college called "Political Science". The class was political and historical but in no way science. We have a lot of good science in the world but we also have what I would deem "Political Science". The theory of evolution is one such teaching. Many of the proponents of evolution are anti-religion. They not only oppose evolution but they oppose anything that would suggest intelligent design. It is very simplistic to write off religious people as not trying to understand. I imagine that many people might buy into this argument but it simply is not true. Some of our most notable scientists in history were religious, ie Newton, Galileo, DesCarte, Copernicus, Kepler, Faraday, Hertz, Kelvin, etc. Many of the universities in our country were established by religious organizations. You can label them as dogmatic and closed minded but they are the very foundation of your science.
Back then it wasn't acceptable to admit you don't believe in god. How many people in Iran today admit they don't believe? Zero?

Science math Einstein newton carbon dating etc. Evidence the ancients didn't have when they wrote the creation story.

And your scientific reality will only last until your next scientific reality. Ours is eternal.
I love it how theists can't believe the cosmos are eternal but instead imagined a god that is. And what's more incredible is that you also believe that when you die YOU live forever? How arrogant and ignorant. It is laughable.

The bible got it wrong. That's why so many theists who still believe in the bible have stopped taking it literally. Even they know the gig is up. Amazing you doubt the smartest humans but believe the ancient superstitions.

I am a theist but I don't believe that God created everything out of nothing. In fact, I don't believe that it is possible, even for God, to create something out of nothing. Many scientists today believe this is possible, it is called the big bang theory. Many Christians and Non-Christians agree on this but I think they are both incorrect. So who are the smartest humans you are referring to and are you sure they were not theists?

The Big Bang theory does not claim that everything or even anything came from nothing. All the Big Bang theory attempts to describe is that it appears that all the visible Universe came from a highly energetic expansion of energy and matter. What caused this "bang" or what came before it is not part of any official scientific theory. It is not the most robust of scientific theories and there is a lot of room for it to be constantly challenged by physicists, cosmologists, and mathematicians - which it is.
It is? The big bang is a scientific theory. The highest honor a theory can achieve. Its when an idea graduates.

When you have a better theory let us know.

It smacks of a need for stability, certainty, an unchanging foundation for your system of beliefs and it's more emotional than it is rational.

It's as if you're saying that having an openness to change and uncertainty is a bad thing.

Not trying to understand and simply accepting a proposition without analysis or critical thought in the face of contradicting information is dogma and the very definition of closed mindedness.

If there is one thing about reality we can say with certainty it is that it is in a constant state of change.

I once took a course in college called "Political Science". The class was political and historical but in no way science. We have a lot of good science in the world but we also have what I would deem "Political Science". The theory of evolution is one such teaching. Many of the proponents of evolution are anti-religion. They not only oppose evolution but they oppose anything that would suggest intelligent design. It is very simplistic to write off religious people as not trying to understand. I imagine that many people might buy into this argument but it simply is not true. Some of our most notable scientists in history were religious, ie Newton, Galileo, DesCarte, Copernicus, Kepler, Faraday, Hertz, Kelvin, etc. Many of the universities in our country were established by religious organizations. You can label them as dogmatic and closed minded but they are the very foundation of your science.

Science has its foundations in number of religions. Descartes, who came up with the scientific method, was a very religious Christian. I am grateful that science exists and appreciate those who founded it.

The modern theories of evolution are not political, but are the some of the most robust in science and are hard science unlike polisci or history. You don't understand them. You've only been exposed to them from the likes of Kent shoving and his type. He doesn't understand these theories. You really need to educate yourself about these theories before judging them, from a scientific perspective. There are many, many Christians who do not oppose the theories of evolution because it has no political agenda.

I do not label all Christians or those of faith close minded or dogmatic - just that poster who wrote something that were those things

Proponents of evolution are proponents of science. Intelligent Design isn't science because science can't test for God. It can't put God under a microscope or test Him in a lab. Science can't prove or disprove God. He lies outside the purview of science. And true science doesn't assume the answer first and look for a way to connect that answer to the data. The data comes first and the answer comes from that. That doesn't mean that ID isn't true, it just isn't science.
And god could be completely made up.

Do you think god visited Joseph smith Mohammad or came 2015 years ago?

I love it how theists can't believe the cosmos are eternal but instead imagined a god that is. And what's more incredible is that you also believe that when you die YOU live forever? How arrogant and ignorant. It is laughable.

The bible got it wrong. That's why so many theists who still believe in the bible have stopped taking it literally. Even they know the gig is up. Amazing you doubt the smartest humans but believe the ancient superstitions.

I am a theist but I don't believe that God created everything out of nothing. In fact, I don't believe that it is possible, even for God, to create something out of nothing. Many scientists today believe this is possible, it is called the big bang theory. Many Christians and Non-Christians agree on this but I think they are both incorrect. So who are the smartest humans you are referring to and are you sure they were not theists?

The Big Bang theory does not claim that everything or even anything came from nothing. All the Big Bang theory attempts to describe is that it appears that all the visible Universe came from a highly energetic expansion of energy and matter. What caused this "bang" or what came before it is not part of any official scientific theory. It is not the most robust of scientific theories and there is a lot of room for it to be constantly challenged by physicists, cosmologists, and mathematicians - which it is.
It is? The big bang is a scientific theory. The highest honor a theory can achieve. Its when an idea graduates.

I don't have one, but there's a new hypothesis that was just published that potentially shows the universe was never created, but has always existed. I think you actually posted something about it. I would call that a challenge, wouldn't you? I think this process is a good thing.

Judaism and Christianity are considered 'eastern'.

'A god' is not 'God'.

Again, remember that the mere fact that sentences and questions can be grammatically formed does not mean they have effect outside the mind of the person forming them. They may make linguistic sense, but be without 'cosmic', existential meaning. Just because we can speak of something 'God ' cannot do does not mean that a Supreme Being is bound by our verbal mazes.

I don't have one, but there's a new hypothesis that was just published that potentially shows the universe was never created, but has always existed. I think you actually posted something about it. I would call that a challenge, wouldn't you? I think this process is a good thing.

I hate when my friend says here didn't exist before the big bang. Of course it did. The earth might not have been here but here was always here.

I think our universe was created but the cosmos have always existed. The stars that we see were born and will eventually all die but billions of years after that it might all happen again. And inside black holes or on the other side are other universes.

I think everything can be explained scientifically. There is no invisible eternal creator who cares about us. That is such a man made idea.

The universe is eternal and doesnt care. You and I are ants. Thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

I'm not angry or scared about it either. I feel extremely lucky I was born and got to experience 44 good years. Hopefully I'll get another 44.

Remember what eternity was like before you were born?

Be a good person and enjoy your life. I want to have a positive impact on this planet and not for a reward from god.

I can't believe how stupid belief is. I'm sorry I hate to be rude but we have every reason to believe the god hypothesis is just made up. Maybe 100 years ago it was believable but not today.

'A god' is not 'God'.

Again, remember that the mere fact that sentences and questions can be grammatically formed does not mean they have effect outside the mind of the person forming them. They may make linguistic sense, but be without 'cosmic', existential meaning. Just because we can speak of something 'God ' cannot do does not mean that a Supreme Being is bound by our verbal mazes.
Well, that's not how the Old Testament explains it.

Back then it wasn't acceptable to admit you don't believe in god. How many people in Iran today admit they don't believe? Zero?
Home Iranian Atheists Association
Iranian Atheists Association was founded in 2013 by an ordinary Iranian citizen, Ramin Forghani.

There is one absolute you stated that is wrong. I wonder if there are any other. :tomato:

Iranian Atheists Association was founded in 2013 by an ordinary Iranian citizen, Ramin Forghani.

There is one absolute you stated that is wrong. I wonder if there are any other. :tomato:

The point was, back in the day society wouldn't be kind to you if you admitted you were an atheist. Does this guy live in Iran? If he is too loud about his beliefs he may go to prison.

He lives in Scotland you dumb shit! My buddy is an Iranian atheist too. He lives in fucking America. Did you not understand what I meant when I said there aren't any atheist Iranians living in Iran? Are you theists so stupid you look for the slightest flaw in someones comment in order to miss the big point? Its why we get frustrated discussing this with you. There is no god dummy!

He lives in Scotland you dumb shit! My buddy is an Iranian atheist too. He lives in fucking America. Did you not understand what I meant when I said there aren't any atheist Iranians living in Iran? Are you theists so stupid you look for the slightest flaw in someones comment in order to miss the big point? Its why we get frustrated discussing this with you. There is no god dummy!
Well he used to live in Iran. :biggrin: Thanks for looking that up for me. :desk: I might have some other stuff later for you. :confused:

Well he used to live in Iran. :biggrin: Thanks for looking that up for me. :desk: I might have some other stuff later for you. :confused:

Stop trying so hard to prove me wrong you miss the point. Newton was religious you say? So was I but one day I woke up. I'm free to say it but back then they were not.

Organized Religion has had a 2515 year head start on atheism. Where people are free to think atheism and science flourishes.

Stop trying so hard to prove me wrong you miss the point. Newton was religious you say? So was I but one day I woke up. I'm free to say it but back then they were not.
Here. Look this one up for me. He is probably lives in Sweden.
I'm an openly atheist Iranian (living in Iran), Ask Me Anything (self.atheism)
I m an openly atheist Iranian living in Iran Ask Me Anything atheism

Does the phrase, "In the beginning" in Genesis chapter 1 refer to the beginning of the creation of this earth or does it refer to the beginning of everything that ever exists outside of God himself?

I've always read it as being this solar system as per "...God created the heavens and the earth." "Heavens" being the space around the Earth."

By necessity, the space around the space the solar system would occupy had to already exist for God to be floating there creating stuff inside of the space.

'A god' is not 'God'.

Our knowledge of psychology and linguistics is not that of four thousand years ago. Things were said in the manner thought to be understood at the time. Language is living, relative, human.

Consider: Our perceptions function by contrast. 'Up' depends upon 'down', right on left, black on white, etc. If God is God, God is all. There is no contrast. Therefore, it is impossible to perceive God directly, outside a personal revelation of its own order. Whatever anyone else has to say about God is so much prose, but nothing much more.

It is said the Jesus only taught in metaphors. Jesus left nothing written. Why, do you suppose?

According to the verses in Genesis 1, the earth itself was created "in the beginning" and not during the six periods that followed. For after the earth was created, light was introduced onto the earth and based on this light the next seven periods were reckoned.

Also, the wording of verse 2 indicates that there could have been any length of time between it and verse 1. I find it interesting too that the Bronze age writers of the text understood something that modern astronomy has just recently figured out, namely that light existed before stars.

'A god' is not 'God'.

Our knowledge of psychology and linguistics is not that of four thousand years ago. Things were said in the manner thought to be understood at the time. Language is living, relative, human.

Consider: Our perceptions function by contrast. 'Up' depends upon 'down', right on left, black on white, etc. If God is God, God is all. There is no contrast. Therefore, it is impossible to perceive God directly, outside a personal revelation of its own order. Whatever anyone else has to say about God is so much prose, but nothing much more.

It is said the Jesus only taught in metaphors. Jesus left nothing written. Why, do you suppose?

'They' claim Jesus never wrote anything. But that seems extremely unlikely. What's more likely than he never wrote anything, is he did, and what he wrote contradicts established teachings so they burned it.

'A god' is not 'God'.

God has told me to stick to the Old Testament so you will have to talk with someone else about Jesus. You are very clever, and also very wrong.

'A god' is not 'God'.

God has told me to stick to the Old Testament so you will have to talk with someone else about Jesus. You are very clever, and also very wrong.

If that is the case, you had certainly better to listen to God.

I don't think I am very clever, and there is no error in what I have said.

Forum List

Back