Importance of insurance?

The question is, what value or services does insurance really offer anymore? It's a middleman for the sake of the middleman. One who is actually making the access to healthcare more difficult instead of more efficient.

Insurance is important for business?

It is HUGELY important for business.

You mean liability insurance right? I had an accident where I destroyed a $50,000 car (welders and flamable flooring materials dont mix) and I tell you that $115/month in liability coverage more than paid for itself ;).

Worst part was it was a friends highly customized car :(

If your talking about health insurance I'd say no. However it is important for business' employees.

Insurance is important for business?

Have you ever been sued as a business owner? If you could pass legislation that limited the lawyers take to say 10% and place caps, you could drive down the cost of everything.....

Take a minute and find out what group spends more on campaign contributions than anyone else.....

The question is, what value or services does insurance really offer anymore? It's a middleman for the sake of the middleman. One who is actually making the access to healthcare more difficult instead of more efficient.
Then why would the feds try to force that difficulty of access and lack of efficiency upon everyone?

Really? I know you're not asking for intelligent discussion Dude, but rather to start an argument. But I'll humor you anyway.....

Because there is no better option at this point. No public option, no single payer, so to ensure that all americans can get access they had to promise the insurance companies, who are unfortunately very much in control of healthcare still, that if they are to cover preexisting conditions then all people must have insurance in order to help alleviate some of the costs (ie. reduced profits) the insurance companies will have to take on.

Then why would the feds try to force that difficulty of access and lack of efficiency upon everyone?

Really? I know you're not asking for intelligent discussion Dude, but rather to start an argument. But I'll humor you anyway.....

Because there is no better option at this point. No public option, no single payer, so to ensure that all americans can get access they had to promise the insurance companies, who are unfortunately very much in control of healthcare still, that if they are to cover preexisting conditions then all people must have insurance in order to help alleviate some of the costs (ie. reduced profits) the insurance companies will have to take on.
What you really mean is that there's no better option that you will accept as better.

You're the one who has accepted the premise that a third-party payer is the best way to pay for medical expenses, not me...That's your problem.

What you really mean is that there's no better option that you will accept as better.

You're the one who has accepted the premise that a third-party payer is the best way to pay for medical expenses, not me...That's your problem.

What the hell are you blabbing about? Thanks for proving my point that you reply just to start an argument, not have a rational discussion. Maybe I should post a picture of a dog now, or whatever it is you do when you realize you have nothing left to say in a thread.

What's the rational argument, that you're entitled to have a third party pick up the costs for your medical expenses?

You complain about lack of efficiency and force being in the marketplace, yet your only "answer" is to impose more inefficiency and force into that marketplace.

Doing more of the same thing over and over and over again, while expecting a better result.....

What's the rational argument, that you're entitled to have a third party pick up the costs for your medical expenses?

You complain about lack of efficiency and force being in the marketplace, yet your only "answer" is to impose more inefficiency and force into that marketplace.

Doing more of the same thing over and over and over again, while expecting a better result.....

I want, and many Democrats wanted a complete overhaul of the system. However, that couldn't happen due to lack of support. SOOOOO.....compromises had to be made in order to ensure that at least people could get the best care possible with the way the system is currently set up. This doesn't mean that I think insurance companies are providing value, but they aren't going anywhere for the time being and if you want healthcare in this country you need to play by their rules (which thankfully, the healthcare bill has adjusted in order to help the people a bit more then it did before).

The healthcare bill is FAR from perfect, but it does help people play the game that the insurance companies have been setting the rules at for years now.

Since when is it the feds' job to completely overhaul anything in the marketplace, especially when it's so clearly demonstrable that their meddling in that market is the chief cause of the problems in the first place?

And don't even try to peddle that pap about compromise...That steaming 2,500+ heap of pure sewage was rammed through via bribes and payoffs within the democrat caucus, not through any compromise, or even serious consultation, with the other side.

Like I already said, doing the same thing over and over and over and over again, while expecting better results....

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results -Albert Einstein.

One smart dude I tell ya ;)

Like I already said, doing the same thing over and over and over and over again, while expecting better results....

Doing the same thing over and over again....or in other words the republicans approach to health care reform. :clap2:

Now, back to my original question.....what value do healthcare insurance companies provide?

Doing the same thing over and over again....or in other words the republicans approach to health care reform. :clap2:

Now, back to my original question.....what value do healthcare insurance companies provide?

Diligence

Text of H.R.5424 as Introduced in House: Reform Americans Can Afford Act of 2010 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

your original question: They allow me to go to the doctor with short notice at any time I want for about 20 bucks...if i need a perscription another 20 bucks....god forbid I end up in the ER but at least I know it wont cost more than 500 bucks.

Thats the value they add, peace of mind, for a fee and profit. I'm willing to pay as long as I can choose my level of coverage and insurance provider, are you?

Last edited:

One of the republican approaches was to end in-state quasi-monopolies, that have left residents unable to shop for better rates, rather than to consolidate even more power into the hands of those insurance companies you claim to detest so much.

BTW, opposing going down the road to total federal control over the system is not favoring the status quo, no matter how many times the DNC spinmeisters and media hack toadies say so.

What value insurance companies provide to those who choose to purchase their services is up to the subjective opinions of their customers, which isn't for me to speculate.

What value insurance companies provide to those who choose to purchase their services is up to the subjective opinions of their customers, which isn't for me to speculate.

So after all your rambling, you actually have no response to my original question. How surprising.

What business do you or I have in trying to speak for what someone else values and why?

Well, I mean unless one has a vested interest in imposing his own subjective values upon everyone else, at their expense, at gunpoint if necessary.

What business do you or I have in trying to speak for what someone else values and why?

Well, I mean unless one has a vested interest in imposing his own subjective values upon everyone else, at their expense, at gunpoint if necessary.

Yet, you seem to have no problem giving your opinion on the value of our government. What business do you have doing that? I'm asking for opinions on what service insurance companies are providing to society and you as usual respond with a senseless, thoughtless answer that much like insurance companies, overs no real value. Please go troll another thread.

Forum List

Back