I'm having trouble figuring this one out

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

Why did he say the above, then?

b/c he's a lying flip flopper that will say whatever it takes to get re-elected.

In other words, he's no different than Mitt.

"That" refers to the business.

There is absolutely no credible way to claim otherwise. But that didn't stop you.

"That" refers to the things I've put in bold face:

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

Its made obvious that's what "that" refers to by the things I've put underlined.

You're quite obviously retarded. Its really sad you're such a sheep you can't even read basic English.
If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that.

The antecedent for 'that' is business.

Shall I define an antecedent for you?

If you're such an expert on grammar than you must also know that the nearest referent is not necessarily the most appropriate criterion for deciding to what a pronoun is referring.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

You're an idiot. I'm just curious, how many times would the fact that the 'that' in that sentence refers to the country's infrastructure have to be pounded into your head before you'd get it?

Give us a ballpark estimate.
Not my words, moron - they're the POTUS' words. (Antecedent of they is words.)

Deal with my post just before this one.

You're an idiot. I'm just curious, how many times would the fact that the 'that' in that sentence refers to the country's infrastructure have to be pounded into your head before you'd get it?

Nothing to deal with, asswipe. Grammar is grammar.

Moron.

Definition

An antecedent is a word, phrase, or clause referred to endophorically by another expression which precedes or follows it.

Last edited:

Nothing to deal with, asswipe. Grammar is grammar.

Moron.

Definition

An antecedent is a word, phrase, or clause referred to endophorically by another expression which precedes or follows it.

Which is trumped in this case by:

The nearest referent is a grammatical term sometimes used when two or more possible referents of a pronoun, or other part of speech, cause ambiguity in a text. However "nearness", proximity, may not be the most meaningful criteria for a decision, particularly where word order, inflection and other aspects of syntax are more relevant.

Got it?

Want it explained in simpler terms? Grammatically, the pronoun 'that' in the sentence has TWO possible referents,

and the fact that 'business' is the nearest does not necessarily mean that the 'that' refers to the business.

Don't play the grammar card with me. I was educated in a blue state.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

That has to be one of the most desperate attempts to defend the empty suit...

The gyrations you flaming leftist winguts are going through to spin this 0bama stupidity is indicative of frantic desperation on your part... Months to go before one-and-done is shown the door and your panic is evident..

Which is trumped in this case by:

The nearest referent is a grammatical term sometimes used when two or more possible referents of a pronoun, or other part of speech, cause ambiguity in a text. However "nearness", proximity, may not be the most meaningful criteria for a decision, particularly where word order, inflection and other aspects of syntax are more relevant.

Got it?

Want it explained in simpler terms? Grammatically, the pronoun 'that' in the sentence has TWO possible referents,

and the fact that 'business' is the nearest does not necessarily mean that the 'that' refers to the business.

Don't play the grammar card with me. I was educated in a blue state.
There are trumps in grammar?

I wonder where those trumps are discussed in grammatical texts?

Anyone?

No amount of spinning by the left can erase his "Dukakis in a Tank" moment...

He really is lost without his teleprompter... It allows someone else to make his words happen...
I was just wondering if the TOTUS was with him. It for sure wasn't?

No teleprompter. That was the REAL Barack Obama.
Here are pics of the speech, no TOTUS in sight:
Obama wasn

And here's an earlier article, discussing the efforts of Obama's handlers to wean him off the machine:
Obama switches off his teleprompter - TheHill.com

He said what he meant, and there's no way the left can spin it.

You are someone that agrees that the successful enjoy their success a bit too much, and must thus be brought down several notches, through both taxation and rhetorical flourish. That is why you see no issue with a president telling the successful, whom he wants to soak, that their success is not really their own. You have the perspective of a parasite. Just accept it.

Sorry, but can you read?

we succeed because of our individual initiative,

Do you know that the word "but" is the most powerful word in the English language? Can you guess why?

"That" refers to the things I've put in bold face:

Its made obvious that's what "that" refers to by the things I've put underlined.

You're quite obviously retarded. Its really sad you're such a sheep you can't even read basic English.

If you're such an expert on grammar than you must also know that the nearest referent is not necessarily the most appropriate criterion for deciding to what a pronoun is referring.
Uh, under your interpretation, which changes not a whit the substance of obama's derisive point, obammy was using Ebonics.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

Why did he say the above, then?

If you are aware of the Bible, in the Old Testament God tells us that the planet, the stars, everything belongs to God. What you receive as far as riches or food comes because God was nice enough to let you have it.
In other words, no matter what you do, God does it for you.
God only wants 10% back.

Obama wants more. And thinks he's entitled to it.

rlrmonnl.gif

Uh, under your interpretation, which changes not a whit the substance of obama's derisive point, obammy was using Ebonics.

To a nut like you, maybe. At least you acknowledge that Si Modo is full of shit up to his Dumbo ears.

To a nut like you, maybe. At least you acknowledge that Si Modo is full of shit up to his Dumbo ears.
Yes. Newspeak defines grammar as shit. I just haven't gotten Obama's Department of Truth lexicon, yet, from Dear Leader.

Forum List

Back