I'm having trouble figuring this one out

"That" refers to the things that we do together.

Are you seriously this stupid?
"That" refers to the business.

There is absolutely no credible way to claim otherwise. But that didn't stop you.

"That" refers to the things I've put in bold face:

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

Its made obvious that's what "that" refers to by the things I've put underlined.

You're quite obviously retarded. Its really sad you're such a sheep you can't even read basic English.
Oh, so you're just playing Obama Didn't Say What He Said.

Nevermind the rules of sentence structure. They don't apply to Obama, apparently.

Run along, now.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

Why did he say the above, then?

The statement as a whole implies a vested public interest in PRIVATE businesses. There's no other way to read it, particularly when one considers the larger context of the statement, which was Obama arguing his position on why he thinks raising taxes is okay. In essence, he's saying, 'yeah, that's yours, but it's ours too'.

I know you guys are bent out of shape, trying desperately to put another spin on this. And I can't blame you. If I fell on my head and started voting Democrat, I'd be freaked out too. The guy just screwed himself at a critical moment in the campaign.

You are someone that agrees that the successful enjoy their success a bit too much, and must thus be brought down several notches, through both taxation and rhetorical flourish. That is why you see no issue with a president telling the successful, whom he wants to soak, that their success is not really their own. You have the perspective of a parasite. Just accept it.

Sorry, but can you read?

we succeed because of our individual initiative,

Why read when Whack Nut Daily & "godlikeproductions" can supply the paranoid with all "necessary" thoughts?

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

It might have been days later when he was trying to climb out of that hole he dug. The point is he still isn't giving the entrepeneurs and the small business owners the credit for starting businesses and the own endeavors that took them long hours and ususually their entire assets to put on the line.

Not to mention employing the workers that take down the unemployment rate.

Sorry, OPPD, I thought you asked "When..."

Last edited:
Solyndra, utilizing the same road system and interwebs that other businesses utilized FAILED... (despite being given over a half million dollars of taxpayer money)...

They got a half a BILLION dollars...

Check this out...

Obama Fundraises With Players in Solyndra Scandal - ABC News
Steve Westly, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist, was one of the first to raise red flags about the administration’s support for a $500 million loan to Solyndra, the solar energy start-up that later went bankrupt. He wrote directly to senior Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett in 2010 to raise concerns about the company’s viability ahead of the president’s high-profile visit that year.

Matt Rogers, a former senior adviser at the Department of Energy, played a key role in approving Solyndra’s loan as part of the stimulus plan.

Both men were spotted by White House print pool reporter Darren Samuelsohn of Politico at the Piedmont, Calif., home of Quinn Delaney and Wayne Jordan, who were hosting the $35,800-a-head event.

Samuelsohn noted that Westly was seen near the pool “juggling lemons, entertaining kids at the party.”

Republicans have seized on Obama’s ties to Westly and Rogers — and the Solyndra loan — as part of their case that the president engages in “crony capitalism.”

“The Obama Administration betrayed American taxpayers when it dumped hundreds of millions of public dollars into Solyndra while ignoring clear warnings about the company’s dire financial situation,” Romney campaign spokesman Ryan Williams said in a statement.

“President Obama’s first term worked out well for his donors who got special access and taxpayer money for their failed ventures,” Williams said. “It hasn’t worked as well for the 23 million Americans struggling for work in the worst economic recovery our country has ever had.”

If you are aware of the Bible, in the Old Testament God tells us that the planet, the stars, everything belongs to God. What you receive as far as riches or food comes because God was nice enough to let you have it.
In other words, no matter what you do, God does it for you.

You are someone that agrees that the successful enjoy their success a bit too much, and must thus be brought down several notches, through both taxation and rhetorical flourish. That is why you see no issue with a president telling the successful, whom he wants to soak, that their success is not really their own. You have the perspective of a parasite. Just accept it.

Sorry, but can you read?

we succeed because of our individual initiative,

Why read when Whack Nut Daily & "godlikeproductions" can supply the paranoid with all "necessary" thoughts?

...says someone who puts their blind trust in Unthinking NoProgress and HuffyPuffyness...

What Obama should have said is that " businesses succeed IN SPITE of big government. "
Except when they fail on the People's dime, then it's the big, bad, business'/businessman's fault.

Solyndra.

:lmao: Damn, this POTUS is so fucking clueless. He could't be consistent if his life depended on it. It's easy to be consistent when honest, though.

Last edited:
Perhaps Ooh Poopy Do Do could try to make his case in a 36 point multi-colored font... like Mr. Sheman. That always helps his credibility.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

You're an idiot. I'm just curious, how many times would the fact that the 'that' in that sentence refers to the country's infrastructure have to be pounded into your head before you'd get it?

Give us a ballpark estimate.

What makes liberalism possible is doublethink: The ability to believe two mutually-exclusive ideas at the same time.

In this instance, it's the ideas that:

1. When we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

and

2. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Doublethink.

"That" refers to the things that we do together.

Are you seriously this stupid?
No, 'that' refers to 'business'. Simple antecedent for a pronoun. Simple grammar.

No it didn't. You're stupid to say so and to think so.

This is the problem with conservatism - conservatives wrongly assume that most normal people are as stupid as they are.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

You're an idiot. I'm just curious, how many times would the fact that the 'that' in that sentence refers to the country's infrastructure have to be pounded into your head before you'd get it?

Give us a ballpark estimate.
Not my words, moron - they're the POTUS' words. (Antecedent of they is words.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back