I'm having trouble figuring this one out

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

I wonder why he said that?

He tells you why almost immediately after he says it.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together

Understand English?
Here's some English for you: "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Sounds really bad when taken entirely out of context. It even results in a different antecedent for "that" than was originally intended.

I don't really see your point though - unless its that you can make someone look bad by quoting them out of context. Is that your point?

It may be their "own", but they didn't build it on their "own"... unless they were the only person on the planet.
But, that's not what Obama said: "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

He also included the "context" which you left out.
I saw the context. But he said: "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

In context, it still means the same thing. He doesn't give ANY credit to business owners for building their businesses - he gives credit to the collective. What's yours is everyone's.

What makes liberalism possible is doublethink: The ability to believe two mutually-exclusive ideas at the same time.

In this instance, it's the ideas that:

1. When we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

and

2. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Doublethink.

But, that's not what Obama said: "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

He also included the "context" which you left out.
I saw the context. But he said: "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

In context, it still means the same thing. He doesn't give ANY credit to business owners for building their businesses - he gives credit to the collective. What's yours is everyone's.

Clearly, by the following statement, which came almost immediately after the above quotation - he obviously means that businesses don't succeed at all because of individual initiative, even though it actually says the exact opposite of that.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together

What makes liberalism possible is doublethink: The ability to believe two mutually-exclusive ideas at the same time.

In this instance, it's the ideas that:

1. When we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

and

2. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Doublethink.

"That" refers to the things that we do together.

Are you seriously this stupid?

Not doublethink. He said exactly what he meant.

If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Why didn't he say, "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that alone. Somebody else had to help you along the way"? He didn't say it because he meant exactly what he said. No individualism allowed.

The emperor is naked. (Has been for sometime.)

Last edited:
So, if the OWS parasites are to be given a big pat on the back for the succes of the very businesses they would like to burn to the ground, who gets the credit for their failure to thrive, what with all this infrastructure that they could be using to some benefit? Do we all build failure together as well?

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

Why did he say the above, then?

I see your problem. When you become a modern republican a large portion of your brain dies. Either that or it leaps out of your head to avoid the complete idiocy that has infected your skull. This part of your brain also allows you to process everything you see into a coherent picture. This leads to a medical condition called selective blindness. We often grow out of this condition after we grow out of our teenage years, but republicans are special. This conditions allows republicans to live in a special world of their own making where Obama cannot do anything right even when he does exactly what they want, and it allows them to avoid any and all wrongdoing by members of their own party.

This condition bares a striking resemblance to people who have suffered massive brain damage altering their perception of the world to the point where they can no longer see what everyone else sees. It has been hypothesized that a person with a fully functional brain can become a republican through the use of blunt force trauma to their skull.

You really are a joke.

They would see that everyone pays for the infrastructure Obammy believes deserves much credit for successes.

That's the POINT you JACKASS.

I thought Mittens was the reason all american businesses were successful? Isn't part of his rhetoric that america cannot survive without his expert guidance in the field of outsourcing and corporate raiding? For some reason american business is so weak that without hisd leadership we will all fail?

Oh well, it is not like any republicans can see this anyway.

So, if the OWS parasites are to be given a big pat on the back for the succes of the very businesses they would like to burn to the ground, who gets the credit for their failure to thrive, what with all this infrastructure that they could be using to some benefit? Do we all build failure together as well?

Big business prefers to get 100% credit for their success while placing 100% credit for any failures they may have on government and/or society.

What's your point?

I see your problem. When you become a modern republican a large portion of your brain dies. Either that or it leaps out of your head to avoid the complete idiocy that has infected your skull. This part of your brain also allows you to process everything you see into a coherent picture. This leads to a medical condition called selective blindness. We often grow out of this condition after we grow out of our teenage years, but republicans are special. This conditions allows republicans to live in a special world of their own making where Obama cannot do anything right even when he does exactly what they want, and it allows them to avoid any and all wrongdoing by members of their own party.

This condition bares a striking resemblance to people who have suffered massive brain damage altering their perception of the world to the point where they can no longer see what everyone else sees. It has been hypothesized that a person with a fully functional brain can become a republican through the use of blunt force trauma to their skull.

Another example of idiot libs eating their own?

See, more proof of their minimized brain function.

Your rep power of 19 tells most that critical thinking is not one of your strong points.

I thought Obama was saying that businesses succeed ONLY because of big government.

Why did he say the above, then?

You really are a joke.

Proof positive about the teenage mindset. Seriously, was that the best your damaged republican mind can come up with? It is OK, you are a special little man, now go get the nurse I am pretty sure you pooped your pants.

They would see that everyone pays for the infrastructure Obammy believes deserves much credit for successes.

That's the POINT you JACKASS.

I thought Mittens was the reason all american businesses were successful? Isn't part of his rhetoric that america cannot survive without his expert guidance in the field of outsourcing and corporate raiding? For some reason american business is so weak that without hisd leadership we will all fail?

Oh well, it is not like any republicans can see this anyway.
Obama just gives money to corporations to out source more than in source. :thup:

There is something I need to get off my chest. I am sorry for all that cancer that I caused, all those children whose parents do not love them, all those dropouts and druggies. I'm sorry about the freeloaders like oopoopoopoo and shitting bul. I'm sorry for all the rtards and victimized minorities. I'm sorry for the OWS parasites. I'm sorry for birth defects, fat people, and poofters. We are all in this together, we all built that, and I finally feel free now that I have recognized my contributions to all those things I have apologized for. Now where's my obamabucks?

Forum List

Back