I'm Getting A Dog!!! 🐕

We had a Beagle. Great dog.

Make sure you have a fenced in yard because once they get the scent of something they could take off and gone for hours yelping and barking the entire time.

Dogs can be great companions. I have a Chihuahua. She came to us out of the forest covered in burrs. Could not find where she came from. She 'adopted' me. Great watch dog but would be 0 protection...LOL

Btw it would also be nice if the people that I'm living with right now would change their minds and the dog could stay with me,.. but there's the cat to take into consideration too.

We had a Beagle. Great dog.
Make sure you have a fenced in yard because once they get the scent of something they could take off and gone for hours yelping and barking the entire time.

Also, keep in mind that the beagle's doghouse may double as a Sopwith Camel, with which the beagle might end up going after Manfred von Richtofen.

Snoopy_wwi_ace_lb.jpg

It's occurred to me, Road Runner, that your current name here is based on the epic battles that you have had here with a canine creature, and your prowess at exposing and humiliating that creature. One has to wonder how that will affect your relationship with an entirely different canine creature.

She's a geococcyx road runner now, so maybe she ought to be working on getting a pet BIRD? :dunno:

That's right guys and gals, I just found out that my dream to own my very own dog is coming true!!! 😀

Now, it won't happen right away. Things are quite complicated. I'm currently waiting to move in with my fiancee and the people that I'm living with right now has a cat and they don't want a dog around.

However, my fiancee's family said that I'm more than welcome to keep the dog here and as soon as my fiancee (and his family can help him out) can buy a house then I can move-in and my dog will already be here.

They'll take care of it in my absence and it is mine to walk and take care of and to name when I'm here. I'm getting a Beagle and it'll happen after their current dog passes away. So I am super excited that at both of my houses for now I'll either have a cat or a dog to help take care of. 😁 (And then of course I'll post updates and pictures and share his or her name with you. 😊)

Have you ever had a dog before?

Lol that's different.

First of all the dog was offered to me, second of all I'm over here all the time, and third of all I'm helping out with the bills.
Why take a dog that you didnt raise? Why not just get your own?

Do you live in a crowded neighborhood? Just sayin... Beagles are one of the loudest dogs you can get. They don't really bark at people, but bark at everything else.
Getting an adult dog at a shelter is a risk in that it may have been raised without any training and may have been an outside dog that was neglected.
You could be taking over a problem dog. Not impossible to turn around of course, but you are an inexperienced dog owner - so you can't do it yourself. Be prepared for accidents and shredded shoes, torn furniture and the like. This is how a stressed dog deals with stress.... tear things up and bark.
Not trying to be negative, but getting an adult dog, likely a problem dog, is probably going to be stressful and hard.

Do you live in a crowded neighborhood? Just sayin... Beagles are one of the loudest dogs you can get. They don't really bark at people, but bark at everything else.
Getting an adult dog at a shelter is a risk in that it may have been raised without any training and may have been an outside dog that was neglected.
You could be taking over a problem dog. Not impossible to turn around of course, but you are an inexperienced dog owner - so you can't do it yourself. Be prepared for accidents and shredded shoes, torn furniture and the like. This is how a stressed dog deals with stress.... tear things up and bark.
Not trying to be negative, but getting an adult dog, likely a problem dog, is probably going to be stressful and hard.

I'm not inexperienced as already told you that I've had dogs growing up and the only problem dog that we had when I was a kid we got as a puppy and then he mellowed out when he got older.

If you let someone else raise your dog, its attachment will be with them, not with you. That isnt to say that it wont like you, but it will never look at you as its mother or father. The emotional connection will not be the same, and when its time for you to take the dog, the dog is going to be sad that its being taken away from its real "parents".

Im frankly annoyed that anyone would think "I'll let some other people raise and train a dog for me, then i will step in and take it away from them and everything is going to be awesome".
That’s an interesting view, and one I actually encountered. A former long term partner of mine wanted me to do that, twice and was willing to pay me to do it. He wanted a dog already trained without realizing the training is part of building the relationship. He wanted a ready-made dog, just like the one we had had together that I had trained. I’m not a proponent of things like “board and train” because of that. I think the bigger issue is going to be with cat however,

That’s an interesting view, and one I actually encountered. A former long term partner of mine wanted me to do that, twice and was willing to pay me to do it. He wanted a dog already trained without realizing the training is part of building the relationship. He wanted a ready-made dog, just like the one we had had together that I had trained. I’m not a proponent of things like “board and train” because of that. I think the bigger issue is going to be with cat however,
Most dogs will adapt to a new owner fairly quickly, as long as they were not abused dogs that have trust issues. Even a German Shepherd, one of the most loyal dogs on the planet and well known for "picking out one family member" that they trust more than anyone else in the family... even they will adapt to a new owner well.
The problem comes from animals that were abused or neglected. They are just like humans in this respect - they will have long term discipline issues and socialization issues for life. Often they are unreachable. You have seen this on the "Dog Whisperer" for instance where Cesar will tell the owner that they will never stop this dogs aggression - and he literally takes the dog and puts it in his own pack on his property permanently.

I love beagles one of my favorite types of dog (snoopy). I also like Great Danes/ Newfoundland mix, German Shepherd, Kelpies and now Blue heelers.

My cat died in March I had her 18 years. But we fostered a Blue heeler and then adopted it. I love both cats and dogs for different reasons.

I still miss my cat alot. But the new boy is a good boy.

Congrats on taking care of a beagle.

Forum List

Back