Illegal Immigration Dilemma

Jun 29, 2004
Let the illegal aliens stay in this country, deport them or legalize them all? This is not a poll so read on if you like to solve dilemmas.

What seem to be the main arguments against illegal aliens are that they have broken the law by having entered illegally. They take the jobs away from Americans and lower the salaries for everyone by providing cheap labor. They cost billions of dollars in education, medical costs, etc, (surely there are more to add here, too). All are obviously very valid arguments.

Then there is the other side of the coin, a double standard unlike any other.

I have many personal experiences with illegal aliens. I used to be a nanny and many of my colleagues were not legal. I still know many illegal aliens because I work in an international company and because of the interactions beyond work. I’ve heard many stories throughout the years of the work conditions and the salaries paid for these people of many trades.

There are the women I’ve known to work 12 hour days taking care of the children and the house for a measly $80.00 a week. I’ve heard of stories of withheld salaries and on and on it goes. I also know many otherwise outstanding citizens that break law everyday by hiring illegal aliens to take care of their children, the house and the garden. They pick up day laborers from Home Depot lots to work on their house for $4.00 an hour. So, who exactly is breaking the law here?

How did this come to be? I would imagine that the Americans partially created the demand for cheap labor and cheap goods, thus an ideal situation for rise in illegal aliens (If there was no demand for cheap labor how many of the illegals would have to go back when there is no work to be had?). Surely there are many other factors in play, as well, so maybe someone can add to this part.

As I see it, if you have an unemployed Americans they may not look for jobs as nannies and gardeners because they will ask for salaries that an average American family cannot afford. I would assume salaries starting from a minimum wage which in California is about $300 a week. So, what does a family do if they cannot afford a legal worker? They’ll hire an illegal alien! Illegal aliens may be a financially good deal for many. So, let’s not deport them just yet. Keep on reading.

Let’s imagine another scenario. All those illegal aliens became legal. They will be entitled at least to a minimum salary and overtime pay (maybe paid vacation time and worker’s comp, etc. .. not familiar enough with employment law). What would happen to those families who cannot afford more than $150.00 a week for child care? What about the cost of groceries? Would the prices increase in restaurants or car wash? (those are obviously a luxury that we could do without if need be but the childcare and food issue cannot be avoided). Legalizing the workers would also open an opportunity, if need be, to sue the employer for things such as sexual harassment. So, maybe legalizing them is not that good of an idea either. Keep on reading.

How about deporting them? What would be the impact on economy? What about the cost of goods? How about farm industry or all those car washes or the bus boys? Who would work in the sweatshops so that you can have a cheap sweater …. you name it ... the illegal aliens are all over the place, or at least in California. So, if they are deported are the Americans ready to take on the menial jobs? Are there even enough Americans to fill them? Of course, this one is somewhat of a silly argument ... while the illegal aliens would be deported in masses others would keep on coming. There is no stopping them. Keep on reading.

All factors combined, does it cost more for the state to take care of the illegal aliens or do American citizens and businesses save more by being able to take advantage of cheap labor and all that it brings? Would it be more beneficial economically to deport them all? I wonder if anyone has ever calculated which of the three options is the best solution financially. Now, that would be an interesting one to read.

Congratulations that you got this far. Now comes the hard part. What is one to do, then? Let the illegal aliens stay in this country, deport them (and keep on deporting them as they arrive) or legalize them all? I would like to hear the reasons for your choice and please do consider bigger picture than just simple reasons such as "they broke the law".

Thank you

Originally posted by 777
Let the illegal aliens stay in this country, deport them or legalize them all? This is not a poll so read on if you like to solve dilemmas.

What seem to be the main arguments against illegal aliens are that they have broken the law by having entered illegally. They take the jobs away from Americans and lower the salaries for everyone by providing cheap labor. They cost billions of dollars in education, medical costs, etc, (surely there are more to add here, too). All are obviously very valid arguments.

Then there is the other side of the coin, a double standard unlike any other.

I have many personal experiences with illegal aliens. I used to be a nanny and many of my colleagues were not legal. I still know many illegal aliens because I work in an international company and because of the interactions beyond work. I’ve heard many stories throughout the years of the work conditions and the salaries paid for these people of many trades.

There are the women I’ve known to work 12 hour days taking care of the children and the house for a measly $80.00 a week. I’ve heard of stories of withheld salaries and on and on it goes. I also know many otherwise outstanding citizens that break law everyday by hiring illegal aliens to take care of their children, the house and the garden. They pick up day laborers from Home Depot lots to work on their house for $4.00 an hour. So, who exactly is breaking the law here?

How did this come to be? I would imagine that the Americans partially created the demand for cheap labor and cheap goods, thus an ideal situation for rise in illegal aliens (If there was no demand for cheap labor how many of the illegals would have to go back when there is no work to be had?). Surely there are many other factors in play, as well, so maybe someone can add to this part.

As I see it, if you have an unemployed Americans they may not look for jobs as nannies and gardeners because they will ask for salaries that an average American family cannot afford. I would assume salaries starting from a minimum wage which in California is about $300 a week. So, what does a family do if they cannot afford a legal worker? They’ll hire an illegal alien! Illegal aliens may be a financially good deal for many. So, let’s not deport them just yet. Keep on reading.

Let’s imagine another scenario. All those illegal aliens became legal. They will be entitled at least to a minimum salary and overtime pay (maybe paid vacation time and worker’s comp, etc. .. not familiar enough with employment law). What would happen to those families who cannot afford more than $150.00 a week for child care? What about the cost of groceries? Would the prices increase in restaurants or car wash? (those are obviously a luxury that we could do without if need be but the childcare and food issue cannot be avoided). Legalizing the workers would also open an opportunity, if need be, to sue the employer for things such as sexual harassment. So, maybe legalizing them is not that good of an idea either. Keep on reading.

How about deporting them? What would be the impact on economy? What about the cost of goods? How about farm industry or all those car washes or the bus boys? Who would work in the sweatshops so that you can have a cheap sweater …. you name it ... the illegal aliens are all over the place, or at least in California. So, if they are deported are the Americans ready to take on the menial jobs? Are there even enough Americans to fill them? Of course, this one is somewhat of a silly argument ... while the illegal aliens would be deported in masses others would keep on coming. There is no stopping them. Keep on reading.

All factors combined, does it cost more for the state to take care of the illegal aliens or do American citizens and businesses save more by being able to take advantage of cheap labor and all that it brings? Would it be more beneficial economically to deport them all? I wonder if anyone has ever calculated which of the three options is the best solution financially. Now, that would be an interesting one to read.

Congratulations that you got this far. Now comes the hard part. What is one to do, then? Let the illegal aliens stay in this country, deport them (and keep on deporting them as they arrive) or legalize them all? I would like to hear the reasons for your choice and please do consider bigger picture than just simple reasons such as "they broke the law".

Thank you

Deport them and allow them to go through the immigration process like the rest of the world has to.
Sites have been posted which show that illegals cost more than they contribute.
Why should they make any attempt at improving conditions in thier own country if they get a free pass to America.
Low paying jobs may become higher paying jobs if illegals were not here to take them. Americans might have to take care of their own kids and lawns. OH MY.
Legalize them so they can sue???? you've got to be kidding me.
The crops in the fields would be picked--trust me. Paying a little more for groceries makes a lot more sense than all the expenses we pay to keep illegals here.

sorry didn't convice me ( Where do you live BTW ?)

http://michnews.com/artman/publish/article_1879.shtml

In Los Angeles, 95 percent of the outstanding murder warrants are for illegal aliens, as are perhaps two-thirds of the 17,000 outstanding felony warrants.

Southern California's largest Hispanic street gang, 18th Street, has some 20,000 members, roughly 60 percent of whom are illegal aliens. (The LAPD and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, by comparison, have a combined strength of about 17,000 officers.)

http://www.lapdonline.org/most_wanted/

Originally posted by dilloduck

sorry didn't convice me ( Where do you live BTW ?)

Didn't me either. I live in Arizona, and I have first hand experience with illegals too... of the criminal kind. These illegals bring their habits with them. Stealing, raping, murdering, drugs, and then want free health care and the works from us. Fact is, they cost us FAR more than they contribute.

They all should have their asses rounded up and deported back to mexico. If they want to become an American citizen, DO IT LEGALY! Don't insult all the others that do.

How soft Bush is on illegal mexicans here in America is what pisses me off the most about him. Him being from Texas, he's WHORING himself out to the latino's for their vote.

My post is not about convincing anyone one way or another. The question is, considering all the factors, which of the three is the best choice .. nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Deport them. That is the LEGAL way to take care of this. Wanna come to America? Get a visa just like everyone else.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Deport them. That is the LEGAL way to take care of this. Wanna come to America? Get a visa just like everyone else.

Ding ding. We'll deal with the ramifications later. It solves the whining about jobs and the safety of our borders in one fail swoop.

This is a country based on LAW. Entering America illegally is breaking the LAW. If we continue to allow this, our system of LAW will break down.

Allowing illegals to get food stamps, assisted housing, drivers licenses, the vote, free college tuition, free medical care, and whatnot is also breaking the LAW.

Taking advantage of the low wages when there is a minimum wage is also breaking the LAW.

I say cut off benefits to all illegals. Deport the illegals. And put the Army on our borders. Immigrants are a threat to our country unless they enter according to the LAW.

i rest my case :read:

Stupid question time:

Is this about Mexicans only? I mean do we support sending illegal whites back to canada and europe also? If so, then hell yeah, open the borders to LEGAL immigration and deport all the illegals. If all these posts is just to wrap anti Mexican racist bullshit in the mantle of INS PC stuff, then you need to look in the mirror at the new enemy of the state, Yourself.

Nuff said.

The plan that Bush came up with is more realistic and cost effective than trying to round up the illegals and deport them, only to have them cross over again.

I am not too crazy about the idea of just a slap on their hands, but what it does is fines the illegal people, then allows them to be employed LEGALLY here, all the while paying taxes and such. This program would run for 3 years (I think-i'll have to check the actual number) and then expire. The immigrant(s) would then have to either leave, apply for another 3 year extension, or apply to be a US Citizen.

I agree, and I wish that we could just deport them, and that would be the end of it. But it is not realistic OR cost effective. At least with Bush's program, they would be paying into the system both with the fine that would be paid and the income tax that they would be paying as well. At least they would be helping pay into the system that they want to get benefits from.

The Mexican prez really should encourage his countymen to build up the country. THey have so many resources that they could tap into and the country would be SO successful.

Originally posted by pegwinn
Stupid question time:

Is this about Mexicans only? I mean do we support sending illegal whites back to canada and europe also? If so, then hell yeah, open the borders to LEGAL immigration and deport all the illegals. If all these posts is just to wrap anti Mexican racist bullshit in the mantle of INS PC stuff, then you need to look in the mirror at the new enemy of the state, Yourself.

Nuff said.

Yes it is about mexico. When there's a thousand illegal mexicans to one of another nationality illegaly in our country, when they're charging acrossed our border by the MILLIONS, you bet your spinning ass it's about the mexicans.

But the "point" of illegal aliens doesn't stop with mexicans... it includes ANYONE here illegaly, and there ain't nothing fucking racist about it. It's all about the LAW.

Period.

Originally posted by 777
My post is not about convincing anyone one way or another. The question is, considering all the factors, which of the three is the best choice .. nothing more, nothing less.

And you didn't change my mind about anything. I told you what I think... nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Yes it is about mexico. When there's a thousand illegal mexicans to one of another nationality illegaly in our country, when they're charging acrossed our border by the MILLIONS, you bet your spinning ass it's about the mexicans. Then its wrong. Period. Figure out how to apply it to all hands and all feet, no matter where they come from

But the "point" of illegal aliens doesn't stop with mexicans... it includes ANYONE here illegaly, and there ain't nothing fucking racist about it. It's all about the LAW. Fuckin A, now you are there. ANYONE. Not Mex, Not White, Not Fuckin Purple. Anyone.

Period. Damn Right

Originally posted by pegwinn
Stupid question time:

Nuff said.

It's mainly about Mexico, only because we have thousands of Mexicans coming across the border. But I agree with your point - the immigration laws should apply to EVERYONE.

I would like to hear the reasons for your choice and please do consider bigger picture than just simple reasons such as "they broke the law".

Thank you

============================

Why isn't the simple reason that they broke the law enough? If I speed, I have to pay a fine, my insurance cost goes up and eventually I lose my license. That's called consequences.

Isn't it still against the law for me to steal a train pass even if my husband is out of work, my pockets are empty of cash and I need to get to work? What, pray tell, are you suggesting be done with me when I am caught?

Or, perhaps, under the same circumstances, I order a meal in a restaurant and then skip out on the bill? Hey, I'm hungry and I have no money. I have to eat, don't I?

The "simple" reason that it is against the law is enough for me to say go back to whence you came. Leave my country. Stop sycophanting here. They may in fact fulfill some need for cheap labor, but that does not extinguish the cost to other american families who are here legally. I still have to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes to support them. They still take from me what is not theirs. That's stealing in any sense of the word and their unfortunate circumstances don't make it any less illegal, immoral or unacceptable.

My vote: send them back to where they came from, charge the $ that it cost to do so and for anything they got while here and then, and only then, give them the chance to come back legally. We should be able to shoot trespassers and charge their home countries for the cost of protecting ourselves from their refugees. It the UN gives so much care to the fate of the world, they'd begin to solve this problem at the expense of all nations, not just ours. (Although I doubt they'd have the brains or balls to do it.)

Originally posted by Moi
I would like to hear the reasons for your choice and please do consider bigger picture than just simple reasons such as "they broke the law".

Thank you

============================

Big D has given you lots of other reasons BUT

breaking the LAW is not just a "simple reason"

THE LAW IS THE BIG PICTURE!

Without LAW, and adherence to it, our country falls apart.

Forum List

Back