If you were to retire in 30 years...

Welcome to a question designed as a trap.

SS OR 401(k)? That's, well, dumb. Go ask your grandpa if he'd choose SS OR his pension... 401(k)'s replace pensions, not SS. If you're going to ask a question, first try crafting one which makes some sort of sense.

You are a liberal aren't you... I can tell because you don't provide any facts and you can't understand a word I am saying...

Go vote for the Savior Barack Hussein Obama and send this economy straight into the ground...

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, someone hurry up and kill the glowing, soaring economy! The economy we're reaping right now (and for the next five years at least) was sown during the "kill all regulators" Republican Congress with an assist from President "Look, I Finally Found The Veto Button in 2007" Bush.

So how far should the tax rate increase to support this? Is there a limit?

200 or 300k would be an answer if I were pushed. SS is actually doing Ok, it medicare where the corporations are engaging in the real robbery of Americans. You need to recognize that people who make the top money in our nation can afford it.

I have read that since 1980, the start of the Reagan, aka give to the rich, revolution, the top 10 percent of American wage earners now make 4.6 times what the bottom 10% make. So if the working poor make 8$ an hour the top make roughly 37 dollars an hour.

Source:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/United-States-since-World-Since/dp/0521677556/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216467524&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The United States since 1980 (The World Since 1980): Dean Baker: Books[/ame]

Amazon presents enough of the book so you can check it yourself.

You are a liberal aren't you... I can tell because you don't provide any facts and you can't understand a word I am saying...

Go vote for the Savior Barack Hussein Obama and send this economy straight into the ground...

Oh, I understood what you were saying well enough to understand that what you were bitching about as it regards governments and road was incorrect.

Social Security is both a retirement plan and a disability insurance plan, too.

Comparing it to a 401K retirement plan is flawed logic.

Of course, I appreciate that when we're young and feeling immortal, our careers are humming along, we're making the best money we ever made, the stock market is going well and our 401K is growing, it probably seems like those halcyon days will never end.

If that's where you're at, then Social Security sure as hell doesn't look like a very good investment to you, does it?

But here's the thing...you can't count on being healthy, and stock markets can go down and worse! The market can and has stayed down for decades.

People who, for example just started their 401Ks in the last few years have mostly lost some part of their investments

Life's a crapshoot, folks.

Nobody who has a dibilitating accident today is planning on it happening. But that is going to happen TODAY to a hell of a lot of Americans.

They're going to appreciate those social security checks.

Forum List

Back