If you oppose the Confederate flag you oppose the American flag too

You're an imbecile -- he attempted to free the slaves, he didn't attempt to seize them.

It's semantics really. Freeing the slaves is tantamount to seizing them. It would be like if Obama sent the military to my house and blew up my SUV... he didn't seize it, but he rendered it invalid as a property asset... so it's the same thing. The president has no such authority under the Constitution.
You're a fucking retard.

"Freeing" is not "seizing." If anything, it's the antithesis of "seizing." And it's not "semantics" ... it's the English language, which is clearly a struggle for you.

From a Constitutional perspective and under the 4th Amendment, freeing slaves was the same as seizing property. This is why the Emancipation Proclamation could not apply to Northern states and didn't free any slaves in Northern slaves states or areas in the South under Union control.

Now, semantics arguments over dictionary definitions which can be applied to all sorts of various context, has nothing to do with the 4th Amendment or Constitution. You can ignorantly believe that, but you are a simple-minded idiot.
You remain a fucking imbecile. Only to the most brain-dead conservative is "freeing," "seizing." :cuckoo:

I provided the definition but there's nothing I can do to help you understand it.

And it's not semantics ... the words have different meanings altogether.

For the same reason conservatives feared same-sex marriage would become the law of the land some day. You're not too bright, huh?

Well, I am bright enough that I don't have to desperately construct straw men arguments to try and save my ass. I mean... gay marriage and conservatives isn't even a good straw man... it's more like a limp noodle man.... from a man with the limp noodle!

You remain a fucking imbecile. Only to the most brain-dead conservative is "freeing," "seizing." :cuckoo:

I provided the definition but there's nothing I can do to help you understand it.

Tell ya what do... Find me the caveat in the 4th Amendment that gives government the authority to render my property worthless as opposed to seizing it.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The government couldn't "free" something that didn't belong to them. In order to "free" it, they would first have to logically seize it and possess it. Otherwise, they have nothing to "free."

For the same reason conservatives feared same-sex marriage would become the law of the land some day. You're not too bright, huh?

Well, I am bright enough that I don't have to desperately construct straw men arguments to try and save my ass. I mean... gay marriage and conservatives isn't even a good straw man... it's more like a limp noodle man.... from a man with the limp noodle!
Yet that's exactly what you're doing. I point out repeatedly that the north didn't fight the war to end slavery and yes you continually ascribe that position to me anyway.

I haven't seen many people here hoist themselves on their own petard but that's exactly what you just did to yourself. :lmao:

Good job, dumbfuck! :thup:

Let's face it. Southerners fought against Northern aggression and for their freedom. They were patriotic Americans sick of seeing their country going the wrong way. That's why people typically fly the Stars and Bars.
But we got over that and healed and the descendents of those Confederates went on to serve the American army and win our wars.
But those who want to censor, who want to denigrate the struggle of our Southern ancestors, who want to demonize others for holding opinions contrary to theirs are no better than jihhadis and communists, who want to ban anything contrary to their religion. They are the hater dupes of the public world.

The people taking down the flags are the decedents of those Confederates.
Lol no they aren't. They are yankee agitators and terrorists.Oh and I shit on the US flag I am NOT an American I am a Confederate who lives in the occupied CSA.

Tell ya what do... Find me the caveat in the 4th Amendment that gives government the authority to render my property worthless as opposed to seizing it.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The government couldn't "free" something that didn't belong to them. In order to "free" it, they would first have to logically seize it and possess it. Otherwise, they have nothing to "free."
Holyfuckingshit! :eusa_doh:

Lincoln didn't seize the slaves. Words have meaning.

Just how fucking rightarded are you?? :ack-1:

You're suggesting that the USA wasn't a nation until 1778?

If the British had defeated us in the War of 1812, then the US was never a legitimate nation. ..

That makes even less sense than you usually do.

Well, it doesn't make any sense but it's essentially the argument you presented.....

No, you dishonest fuck, it isn't. Stop fabricating positions just because you can't respond to any that are actually being put forth.

You never answered my question (at least I didn't see it) as to when did the US became a nation?

I know Lincoln didn't seize anything, he didn't have the Constitutional authority to.

Slaves were only freed after passage of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution.

I own some horses... the government cannot free my horses. Only I can choose to do that. In order for them to free my horses, they would have to first seize my horses and they can't because of the 4th Amendment.

And hey... shouldn't it be obvious by now that I don't really care what names you call me or how many insults you hurl at me? So why don't we cut that crap out and try to have a civil discourse?

You're suggesting that the USA wasn't a nation until 1778?

If the British had defeated us in the War of 1812, then the US was never a legitimate nation. ..

Well, it doesn't make any sense but it's essentially the argument you presented.....

No, you dishonest fuck, it isn't. Stop fabricating positions just because you can't respond to any that are actually being put forth.

You never answered my question (at least I didn't see it) as to when did the US became a nation?
How ironic ... you never answered my question .... when did Palestine become a nation?

I know Lincoln didn't seize anything....
Yet up until now, you claimed he did.

How ironic ... you never answered my question .... when did Palestine become a nation?

First of all that's not ironic.

Second of all I did answer your question--just not in a way you were satisfied with. Your point was that Palestine is not a nation because the rest of the world doesn't recognize it as such, therefore you would apply the same principles to the CSA. But you were thrown a curve ball, since we consider our nation to have been founded in 1776-a couple of years before any other country recognized us.

This is why when prompted with the question of when did the USA become a country--you hesitate to answer. The reason why you hesitate to answer is because it was a couple of years after the Declaration that any other country (to my knowledge) recognized the USA as a country. Obviously we all know it was 1776 (we can debate the 2nd or 4th July--personally it's really the 2nd).

I'm not making any statements on what in my opinion constitutes a country, I'm voicing my opinion on one situation and that's it. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know enough about the situation in Palestine to pass a verdict, however to my knowledge (and I could very well be wrong), they don't have all of the following in place: effective government, military, and monetary system in place--which the CSA did. As you can see it's a pretty poor comparison of the CSA to the Palestinians.

So to answer your question, no Palestine is not a country to my knowledge, since they lack the infrastructure to be one. The CSA however did not.

Your turn to answer mine: when did the USA become a country?

I know Lincoln didn't seize anything, he didn't have the Constitutional authority to.

Slaves were only freed after passage of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution.

I own some horses... the government cannot free my horses. Only I can choose to do that. In order for them to free my horses, they would have to first seize my horses and they can't because of the 4th Amendment.

And hey... shouldn't it be obvious by now that I don't really care what names you call me or how many insults you hurl at me? So why don't we cut that crap out and try to have a civil discourse?
Why would I expect you to care when I call you names? I point out you're a fucking retard because that's what your posts reveal about you. Stop saying dumbass shit and I'll have no reason to point it out.

Like your idiocy that the South wasn't fighting the Civil war over slavery. Anyone with a brain knows that was, by far, the main reason why they seceded; which led to the Civil war. Even South Carolina knows that even though you don't. They still teach that in their schools...

South Carolina: One of the United States

The focus for social studies in grade eight is the history of South Carolina and the role that the state and its people have played in the development of the United States as a nation. Students learn about the state’s development during colonial times; the growth of the American ideal, which led to the break with England; and the rising controversy about slavery, which led to the Civil War.

Second of all I did answer your question--just not in a way you were satisfied with. Your point was that Palestine is not a nation because the rest of the world doesn't recognize it as such, therefore you would apply the same principles to the CSA. But you were thrown a curve ball, since we consider our nation to have been founded in 1776-a couple of years before any other country recognized us.

This is why when prompted with the question of when did the USA become a country--you hesitate to answer. The reason why you hesitate to answer is because it was a couple of years after the Declaration that any other country (to my knowledge) recognized the USA as a country. Obviously we all know it was 1776 (we can debate the 2nd or 4th July--personally it's really the 2nd).

I'm not making any statements on what in my opinion constitutes a country, I'm voicing my opinion on one situation and that's it. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know enough about the situation in Palestine to pass a verdict, however to my knowledge (and I could very well be wrong), they don't have all of the following in place: effective government, military, and monetary system in place--which the CSA did. As you can see it's a pretty poor comparison of the CSA to the Palestinians.

So to answer your question, no Palestine is not a country to my knowledge, since they lack the infrastructure to be one. The CSA however did not.

There is no simple or 100% correct t answer because valid arguments can be made over several dates. Obviously, 7.4.1776, which is the date we celebrate; but what we actually celebrate is the date we declared our independence. That in itself did not render us independent of England. We still had to fight and win our independence. We weren't even formally known as the United States of America yet. That wouldn't come until the ratification of the Articles of Confederation on 3.1.1781. So that could be considered the birth of our country. However, technically, we had still not won our independence from England. That didn't happen until 9.3.1783. So that too could be considered the birth of our country. Personally, to me, the last one makes the most sense. I see declaring our independence like conceiving a baby. And like the baby is not born until it's free from it's mother's womb, we weren't a country until we were free from England.

As far as Palestine, they too declared their independence. In 1988. According to the logic that merely declaring one's independence establishes a country, then Palestine would have been a country since 1988; yet no one considers that to be the case. They formed a government in 1994, yet still not considered a country. I'm not sure if they're recognized now as a country, though they were admitted to the U.N. a few years ago (not sure to what capacity?).

There is no simple or 100% correct t answer because valid arguments can be made over several dates. Obviously, 7.4.1776, which is the date we celebrate; but what we actually celebrate is the date we declared our independence. That in itself did not render us independent of England. We still had to fight and win our independence. We weren't even formally known as the United States of America yet. That wouldn't come until the ratification of the Articles of Confederation on 3.1.1781. So that could be considered the birth of our country. However, technically, we had still not won our independence from England. That didn't happen until 9.3.1783. So that too could be considered the birth of our country. Personally, to me, the last one makes the most sense. I see declaring our independence like conceiving a baby. And like the baby is not born until it's free from it's mother's womb, we weren't a country until we were free from England.

As far as Palestine, they too declared their independence. In 1988. According to the logic that merely declaring one's independence establishes a country, then Palestine would have been a country since 1988; yet no one considers that to be the case. They formed a government in 1994, yet still not considered a country. I'm not sure if they're recognized now as a country, though they were admitted to the U.N. a few years ago (not sure to what capacity?).

We declared our independence on July 2nd 1776, they just announced it to the public on the 4th (sorry this is a huge pet peeve of mine LOL), and while I disagree with your opinion on when we became a country-at least you're consistent.

We declared our independence on July 2nd 1776, they just announced it to the public on the 4th (sorry this is a huge pet peeve of mine LOL), and while I disagree with your opinion on when we became a country-at least you're consistent.
When do you think we first became known as the United States of America?

July 4th 1776, I view fighting the war as being independent, and winning the revolutionary war as maintaining that independence.

The Declaration specifically refers to us as the "thirteen united States of America". Now was the formally giving us that name? No. But it certainly is referring to us as that.

July 4th 1776, I view fighting the war as being independent, and winning the revolutionary war as maintaining that independence.

The Declaration specifically refers to us as the "thirteen united States of America". Now was the formally giving us that name? No. But it certainly is referring to us as that.
So we were a country without a name then?

The Declaration of Independence also refers to us as the United Colonies. Furthermore, it declares us not as a single country, but as 13 individual states, united in declaring independence. Even the signatories were separated by state, there was no representation as a single nation.

So on 7.4.1776, we had no name as a nation, no borders as a nation, no representation as a nation. I don't see how that can be the birth of our nation merely because we declared the 13 independent colonies to be independent of England? :dunno:

The Declaration of Independence also refers to us as the United Colonies. Furthermore, it declares us not as a single country, but as 13 individual states, united in declaring independence. Even the signatories were separated by state, there was no representation as a single nation.

So on 7.4.1776, we had no name as a nation, no borders as a nation, no representation as a nation. I don't see how that can be the birth of our nation merely because we declared the 13 independent colonies to be independent of England? :dunno:

We had a centralized congress. Granted it wasn't as powerful as it is today, but it did exist.

'Nation' is a much less precise term than country. The Kurds are a 'nation', a group sharing a history, culture, etc.
The occupants of the colonies had come to think of themselves as Americans more or less, so had become a nation in that sense. This coalesced into formal government, territory, etc. It was an evolution and, like the beginning of life debate, is rather arbitrary about deciding when it began. Why not the fourth of July?

Forum List

Back