If you are 26+, are you financially better off today than you were eight years ago?

If you are 26+, are you financially better off now than you were eight years ago?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am much worse off because of the bigotry and corruption of Obama, Holder, and Lynch. If Trump wins, I will volunteer for firing squad duty, because all three will easily be convicted of multiple counts of treason.
You are much worse off? How can one fail these days?

??
You do realize that underemployment is a HUUUGE problem now...as is stagnate wages and vanishing benefits. And of course there is ever rising healthcare insurance costs.
There are many, many, many people worse off now than 2009...which is really when you should start the "worse off" clock.

8 years ago me and my colleagues were looking at each other to see who was getting laid off, many were. Now, there are new positions up and down the company and at least not the feeling that at any moment we could lose it all.

In 2008, we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. Those who were not laid off were in a panic that they might be laid off
The stock market dropped from 14,000 to below 7,000. Those with 401ks saw their retirement fund drop almost in half

My 401k was a mess, I wouldn't have been able to live off it for a year back then, it's completely turned around and I've also been able invest more heavily into it thanks to inflation not getting out of control.

I remember many people who considered retiring in 2008 who had to continue working because their nest egg of retirement funds and value of their homes had crashed

What will come out if Trump wins...

Eric Holder's DOJ took victims of federal crimes, had an FBI quiz them about supporting O, the Dems, and Obamacare, and those who did not answer Yes three times never had the crime prosecuted.

Obama, in his first week, declined the FBI's request to re-open the 911 investigation and prosecute the real traitors.

Obama, in 2012, decided not to prosecute the FBI's fraud case against the climate "scientists," and legalized attempted murder against the author of the science behind the prosecution.

So, yeah, O is "with her," because when the prime passenger of Broomstick One loses, O loses... everything.

What will come out if Trump wins...

Eric Holder's DOJ took victims of federal crimes, had an FBI quiz them about supporting O, the Dems, and Obamacare, and those who did not answer Yes three times never had the crime prosecuted.

Obama, in his first week, declined the FBI's request to re-open the 911 investigation and prosecute the real traitors.

Obama, in 2012, decided not to prosecute the FBI's fraud case against the climate "scientists," and legalized attempted murder against the author of the science behind the prosecution.

So, yeah, O is "with her," because when the prime passenger of Broomstick One loses, O loses... everything.

Yea....and if Trump wins he is going to release his tax returns too

Some people will believe anything

8 years ago me and my colleagues were looking at each other to see who was getting laid off, many were. Now, there are new positions up and down the company and at least not the feeling that at any moment we could lose it all.

In 2008, we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. Those who were not laid off were in a panic that they might be laid off
The stock market dropped from 14,000 to below 7,000. Those with 401ks saw their retirement fund drop almost in half

My 401k was a mess, I wouldn't have been able to live off it for a year back then, it's completely turned around and I've also been able invest more heavily into it thanks to inflation not getting out of control.

I remember many people who considered retiring in 2008 who had to continue working because their nest egg of retirement funds and value of their homes had crashed

Yep, remember it well. People were getting laid off, underwater in their houses and their 401k went to shit. Then getting a new job wasn't easy either. I really, really do not want to relive 2008-2010, bad times.

If Trump wins I'm stuffing my mattress.

I've managed to pay off most of my mortgage, my 401k and other investments have had solid growth and I no longer fear retirement.
And Bush looked like a deer in headlights and Obama saved us all. Are things great? No. I'm not getting a high percentage on my savings account. I remember my grandparents lived off the interest and now savings accounts are paying something like 1% interest? That could be better.

I've managed to pay off most of my mortgage, my 401k and other investments have had solid growth and I no longer fear retirement.
And Bush looked like a deer in headlights and Obama saved us all. Are things great? No. I'm not getting a high percentage on my savings account. I remember my grandparents lived off the interest and now savings accounts are paying something like 1% interest? That could be better.

I don't think they even pay 1% now and the last 20 or so years did they ever pay more than 3?

I don't think they even pay 1% now and the last 20 or so years did they ever pay more than 3?
I think before 2005 both my grandmothers were making a lot of interest on their savings. I don't remember what it was but I'll guess and say 5 or 6%. 6% of $200,000 is $12,000 a year. An extra $1000 a month. Ok so lets say they had $100K it was an extra $500 a month. You get the point. The good news is interest rates are low if you want buy something but not if you are a saver like me.

This is going to hurt people. Your savings are supposed to compound. If it's not I'm expecting a lot of people are going to lose their savings when they get older and sick. The future doesn't look good for the masses. My grandmothers were basically poor but were able to live comfortably when medicare was cheap and they got interest on their savings.

I think before 2005 both my grandmothers were making a lot of interest on their savings. I don't remember what it was but I'll guess and say 5 or 6%. 6% of $200,000 is $12,000 a year. An extra $1000 a month. Ok so lets say they had $100K it was an extra $500 a month. You get the point. The good news is interest rates are low if you want buy something but not if you are a saver like me.

This is going to hurt people. Your savings are supposed to compound. If it's not I'm expecting a lot of people are going to lose their savings when they get older and sick. The future doesn't look good for the masses. My grandmothers were basically poor but were able to live comfortably when medicare was cheap and they got interest on their savings.

Used to be CDs were a retirees best friend. Now, you might as well just put the money in a mattress

Stock Index Funds seem to be the only investment showing any growth....but at a higher risk

I think the days of living off a savings account are long gone and never coming back, at least not like our grand parents.

If you are 26 today you were 18 years old eight years ago. A typical 18 year old kid has no financial perspective. How many 26 year old young adults remember anything but there mamma's cooking when they were 18?

Thats a yes and no type of question.
First off 8 years ago both my wife and I were making over 100k a year each. We did ok, not rich and still had to watch our spending but we were ok.
In the last year in a half we have both retired from our previous jobs and are now working jobs that are more rewarding mentally than financially. I personally have never worked for as low a pay as I currently am receiving, but I dont care.
We have almost cut our combined income in half, so in that respect we are not doing better.
The other end of this equation is that in order to retire, we paid everything off over the 6 year period before entering our poverty, I mean, golden years. So even though we make much much less than ever before, we have thousands a month less in financial obligations to contend with.
But we still make enough to have to pay tax each year.
to give an idea of how much less I make today than a year ago, I paid more in federal tax in 2014 than I now make as a yearly salary. LOL
Can anyone loan me money for a cup of coffee and a smoke?

If you are 26 today you were 18 years old eight years ago. A typical 18 year old kid has no financial perspective. How many 26 year old young adults remember anything but there mamma's cooking when they were 18?
I was a sophomore in college when I was 18 and I owned my first home 1 year after I graduated college and oh, I graduated practically debt free back when college was affordable.

Forum List

Back