If Trump and buddies do not choose to testify are they admitting guilt?

President Donald Trump has derided the Fifth Amendment as the refuge of mobsters, and during Watergate President Richard Nixon infamously told aides, "I want you all to stonewall it, let them plead the Fifth Amendment, cover up, or anything else."

Using executive privilege to not testify is the equivalent of taking the 5th.
Trump once said pleading the Fifth was for 'the mob' and now he might do it - CNNPolitics

^ Stalinist scumbag
Stalinist scumbag? I do not want the US President to have as much power as Stalin. That is what Trump is going for.
Tell me why you think my statement results in you calling me a Stalinist scum bag. I am interested in how your brain works.
I see military tribunals in the future of the Stalinist democrat Party

President Donald Trump has derided the Fifth Amendment as the refuge of mobsters, and during Watergate President Richard Nixon infamously told aides, "I want you all to stonewall it, let them plead the Fifth Amendment, cover up, or anything else."

Trump once said pleading the Fifth was for 'the mob' and now he might do it - CNNPolitics
The old wait and see what happens play.

Stalinist scumbag? I do not want the US President to have as much power as Stalin. That is what Trump is going for.
Tell me why you think my statement results in you calling me a Stalinist scum bag. I am interested in how your brain works.

You are obviously suffering from some kind of delusional affliction.
It is absurd for you to think and say that Trump is trying to become Stalinist. Absolutely insane.

It's apparent how your brain works....or doesn't actually.

So when Lois Lerner chose to take the fifth and not testify in the IRS scandal hearings she was admitting her guilt? If this is the standard are we applying to everyone or just those we don't agree with politically?
Yes, if you think what you say will incriminate you, I say you are guilty.
So excersing your Constitutional Fifth Amendment rights makes one guilty? Good to know how little the left thinks of the Constitution and the rights and protections it affords all of us.

“The mob takes the Fifth,” Trump said after Hillary Clinton aides invoked their right against self-incrimination. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”
Because you have the Constitutional right do so. If a defendent in a criminal case chooses not testify in their own defense that is not an admission of guilt. There is also executive privilige if the Democrats feel that testimoney from Trump or other's in that inner circle is this important they could have gone to the courts made their case and try and get ruling they had to testify they did not.

In case it wasn’t clear, that was Trump’s opinion on people taking the 5th. Not mine. I’m well aware and supportive of it.

Dems are currently in litigation to compel Trump appointees to testify. So far, Trump’s legal arguments against testimony have been so laughable that they are clearly not made in good faith.

Dear ElmerMudd,
It's a perjury trap. Trump and his staff are right to stay as far away from these impeachment hearings as possible.

So when Lois Lerner chose to take the fifth and not testify in the IRS scandal hearings she was admitting her guilt? If this is the standard are we applying to everyone or just those we don't agree with politically?
So excersing your Constitutional Fifth Amendment rights makes one guilty? Good to know how little the left thinks of the Constitution and the rights and protections it affords all of us.

“The mob takes the Fifth,” Trump said after Hillary Clinton aides invoked their right against self-incrimination. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”
Because you have the Constitutional right do so. If a defendent in a criminal case chooses not testify in their own defense that is not an admission of guilt. There is also executive privilige if the Democrats feel that testimoney from Trump or other's in that inner circle is this important they could have gone to the courts made their case and try and get ruling they had to testify they did not.

In case it wasn’t clear, that was Trump’s opinion on people taking the 5th. Not mine. I’m well aware and supportive of it.

Dems are currently in litigation to compel Trump appointees to testify. So far, Trump’s legal arguments against testimony have been so laughable that they are clearly not made in good faith.
I don't believe the Democrats have made any court motions to get Trump appointees to testify if they were remotly serious about such a thing they would not be trying to push the process through at warp speed. The only thing laughable has been the process first Schiff and now Nadler are trying to use when you are making it up as you go along you don't have much if any case.

I don't believe the Democrats have made any court motions to get Trump appointees to testify if they were remotly serious about such a thing they would not be trying to push the process through at warp speed. The only thing laughable has been the process first Schiff and now Nadler are trying to use when you are making it up as you go along you don't have much if any case.

The case regarding Don McGhan has been going on for months. Trump keeps losing.

Judge denies DOJ request for stay on Don McGahn testimony

They’re trying.

absolutely, you do not have to incriminate yourself but if you think your comment could incriminate you, I think you feel you are guilty of something

Yes, refusal to testify, ignoring subpoenas for documents, destroying records, all those things fall into "adverse inference"

Quick, you may want to get you post over to Hillary...dumbass.

absolutely, you do not have to incriminate yourself but if you think your comment could incriminate you, I think you feel you are guilty of something
How do you know if someone thinks their comment could incriminate them? We have seen many times over the years people being set up to incriminate themselves. We have seen a person ask have you ever meet insert name here and they honestly say no but then you get something pulled out that says you meet them at some party 20 years ago that you didn't remeber then your accused of lying under oath. There are legitimate reasons for people to take the fifth.

The case regarding Don McGhan has been going on for months. Trump keeps losing.

Judge denies DOJ request for stay on Don McGahn testimony

They’re trying.
So why are the Democrats trying to rush this impeachment through before this it's worked its way through the courts? Schiff and Nadler are trying to get this out of the House and to the Senate where they won't be calling the shots by around Christmas or shortly after. Makes one wonder if they were ever serious about wanting his testimony in fact it seems more like the goal of the Democrats is to push this through as quick as they can and be done with it so Democrats in swing states and districts that Trump won in 2016 and they won back in 2018 won't have to deal with the issue in 2020.My opinion is the majority of Democrats never wanted to go down this impeaschment road but were forced down it by the hard left of the party and are now trying to find any way to get out of it with as little damage as possible to them in 2020.

Is the 5th Amendment an admission of guilt? Maybe only in republican administrations. Everyone on the left seems to conveniently forget that Hussein used executive privilege to prevent his IRS chief from testifying about credible allegations of the administration using the IRS to punish political enemies. The only reason Hussein got away with it was that the media supported him.

I agree, if he has nothing to hide, they should testify. Having said that, I feel the reason he is not letting them testify is because our elected officials are real good at asking "gotcha" questions, or asking questions out of context trying to pigeon hole the witness into a specific answer, and when the witness wants to elaborate and put context to their answer, the congress person will interrupt and say they dont have time.

Well, they're not admitting innocence.......

Forum List

Back