If George HW Bush didnt get re-elected - why should Obama?

Bush had huge favorable performance ratings after the Gulf War(historic highs) - a decent economy, yet wasn't rewarded with a 2nd term.

Still can't figure.....................

Obama has historic low ratings and the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Trying to prop up his image with fake foreign policy "successes."

Hope the voters dont reward him with a 2nd term.

A decent economy???? The S&L industry went belly up under his, and Reagan's governance. We were in a major recession at that time. Bush also was an idiot, with his "read my lips" pledge. He knew he couldn't get away with it after Gramm Rudman went into effect. Obama makes no bones about wanting to restore the Clinton tax rates, which wound up giving us a strong dollar and minuscule deficit.

Obama will have no problem beating the planless Mr. Etch-a-Sketch in the fall. Romney has already proven to most that he's a pandering bullshit artist, and even has alienated who should have been his base, moderates.

I still vividly remember the econ downturn/recession during Bush elder's term. I remember when he had a photo-op in that dept store to buy a pair of socks and he seemed, just like Romney is now, clueless as to what ordinary citizens are experiencing (due to deregulating wall st. & out-sourcing manufacturing) He is still better than Reagan or Bush II though.

Two answers to the thread question:

1) Under GHW Bush, the economy was getting worse; under Obama, it's been getting better.

2) Bush was opposed by Bill Clinton, one of the best politicians of modern times. Obama will be opposed by Mitt Romney.

Bush had huge favorable performance ratings after the Gulf War(historic highs) - a decent economy, yet wasn't rewarded with a 2nd term.

Obama has historic low ratings and the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Bush I raised taxes.

Obama lowered taxes.

I still vividly remember the econ downturn/recession during Bush elder's term. I remember when he had a photo-op in that dept store to buy a pair of socks and he seemed, just like Romney is now, clueless as to what ordinary citizens are experiencing (due to deregulating wall st. & out-sourcing manufacturing) He is still better than Reagan or Bush II though.

Was that when he discovered the wonders of scanning prices? :D

One of my favorites was in the debates. Bush and Ross were clueless about what a gallon of milk cost. Clinton nailed it within a nickel.

I hope they ask Romney the cost of boneless chicken thighs. To be fair, they should ask Obama the MRSP of a new Caddie.

Last edited:
Todd, you don't even come with serious arguments, much less an understanding of economics. Most people agree the S&L Bailout was necesssary... except like, retarded people.

So he couldn't have bailed out the S&Ls without hiking tax rates?
Silly argument.
Does low IQ run in your family?
Or do you have a brain injury?

Where would the money come from? Borrowing? That was the point, no one was going to loan the government money to bail out the S&L's. ONLY by raising taxes could the governmetn show it was serious about making good on underwriting the S&L industry.

That's the whole point of the FSLIC and FDIC- the government backs your money, so it's safe to put it in there. Of course, they'd have never gotten into trouble then (or now) if regulation wasn't so lax.

You just aren't very smart, are you.

Where would the money come from? Borrowing?

Yes. Borrowing.

That was the point, no one was going to loan the government money to bail out the S&L's.

Baloney.

Compared to you, I'm fucking Einstein.

A decent economy???? The S&L industry went belly up under his, and Reagan's governance. We were in a major recession at that time. Bush also was an idiot, with his "read my lips" pledge. He knew he couldn't get away with it after Gramm Rudman went into effect. Obama makes no bones about wanting to restore the Clinton tax rates, which wound up giving us a strong dollar and minuscule deficit.

Obama will have no problem beating the planless Mr. Etch-a-Sketch in the fall. Romney has already proven to most that he's a pandering bullshit artist, and even has alienated who should have been his base, moderates.

A decent economy???? The S&L industry went belly up under his, and Reagan's governance. We were in a major recession at that time.

The recesion ended in March 1991, after 8 months.
It was a very shallow recession.

Was that when he discovered the wonders of scanning prices? :D

One of my favorites was in the debates. Bush and Ross were clueless about what a gallon of milk cost. Clinton nailed it within a nickel.

I hope they ask Romney the cost of boneless chicken thighs. To be fair, they should ask Obama the MRSP of a new Caddie.

That was actually a completely unfair rap. The machine that was demonstrated to him was one that could read a damaged or torn bar code and extrapolate what it was.

Which was cutting edge technology in 1992.

Silly argument.

Where would the money come from? Borrowing? That was the point, no one was going to loan the government money to bail out the S&L's. ONLY by raising taxes could the governmetn show it was serious about making good on underwriting the S&L industry.

That's the whole point of the FSLIC and FDIC- the government backs your money, so it's safe to put it in there. Of course, they'd have never gotten into trouble then (or now) if regulation wasn't so lax.

Yes. Borrowing.

That was the point, no one was going to loan the government money to bail out the S&L's.

Baloney.

Chippy, you can't keep borrowing forever. Eventually, you gots to come up with the money.

Silly argument.

Yes. Borrowing.

Yo, moron. Didn't every single penny of the Bush tax cut to the rich, come from borrowing? Are you really this much of a dim bulb?

Yes. Borrowing.

Baloney.

Chippy, you can't keep borrowing forever. Eventually, you gots to come up with the money.

You never did explain how the "economy saving tax hikes" helped the boat makers on the east coast.

You bet, you can't borrow forever.
That's a good reason to cut government spending rather than increase it forever.

Yes. Borrowing.

Yo, moron. Didn't every single penny of the Bush tax cut to the rich, come from borrowing? Are you really this much of a dim bulb?

Didn't the tax cuts for the middle class and poor come from borrowing?

Time to cut spending, now.
Not increase it for twisty bulbs and dim bulbs, like you.

Yes. Borrowing.

Baloney.

You never did explain how the "economy saving tax hikes" helped the boat makers on the east coast.

Why do you think I give a fuck about people who make toys for rich people? Seriously. I mean you might aspire to be the King's Pissboy, but the rest of us can do fine without them.

It did help the macro economy in that banks could still make loans, and still get deposits. The Ironic thing is that Bush did all the heavy lifting, and Clinton got the credit. Which is kind of sad.

That's a good reason to cut government spending rather than increase it forever.

Yes, but you know what, Republicans are just as bad as Democrats on the borrowing issue, largely because borrowing is easier politically than cutting taxes or cutting spending, and we are going to have to honestly talk about both if we are going to fix this thing.

Why do you think I give a fuck about people who make toys for rich people? Seriously. I mean you might aspire to be the King's Pissboy, but the rest of us can do fine without them.

It did help the macro economy in that banks could still make loans, and still get deposits. The Ironic thing is that Bush did all the heavy lifting, and Clinton got the credit. Which is kind of sad.

Yes, but you know what, Republicans are just as bad as Democrats on the borrowing issue, largely because borrowing is easier politically than cutting taxes or cutting spending, and we are going to have to honestly talk about both if we are going to fix this thing.

Perfect!
The tax hikes saved the economy (tax hikes never hurt the economy in your world, right?) and if factories closed down because of the hike, fuck the workers.

I love it! Thanks, you're everything I thought you were.

The democrat controlled media managed to portray a genuine WW2 hero as a "wimp" and a border line draft dodger as a hero. The liberal media knew Clinton had a (criminal?) sexual problem and democrats hired a "bimbo eruption" team to destroy any woman who was abused and came forward but they kept it a secret. People are better informed today than they were when Cronkite was king and Dan Rather was trusted.

Blame the media...blame the media...blame the media.

Practicing for November, are you?

Forum List

Back