If A Tomb Was Found...?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
If an ancient family tomb was found, in Jerusalem, containing several boxes of human bones, among them one clearly marked "Mary" and another marked "Jesus, son of Joseph", would you question Christianity? Is the 'empty tomb' part of the story a requirement?

If an ancient family tomb was found, in Jerusalem, containing several boxes of human bones, among them one clearly marked "Mary" and another marked "Jesus, son of Joseph", would you question Christianity? Is the 'empty tomb' part of the story a requirement?

YouTube - Lost Tomb of Jesus - Trailer

I would question the person(s), experts, scientists, etc that found it, not the concept it's what they claim.

I would question the person(s), experts, scientists, etc that found it, not the concept it's what they claim.

Relying instead on stories finally written down 30 to 70 years after the events and then passed down 2,000 years of hand written conveyance overseen by the politicians of the ages?

That's cool.

Basically what I want to know is whether the empty tomb would be a deal breaker for an average Christian. It would have for me... my faith was anchored on the story of Jesus walking out of his tomb and leaving no bones. I'm curious about reactions, ass-u-me-ing it's archeological fact that an ancient family grave in Jerusalem contained the remains of a dude named 'Jesus, son of Joseph' and the remains of a dudett named 'Mary'.

That kind of thing would have gotten my attention back in my 'faith years'.

Last edited:

Relying instead on stories finally written down 30 to 70 years after the events and then passed down 2,000 years of hand written conveyance overseen by the politicians of the ages?

That's cool.

Basically what I want to know is whether the empty tomb would be a deal breaker for an average Christian. It would have for me... my faith was anchored on the story of Jesus walking out of his tomb and leaving no bones. I'm curious about reactions, ass-u-me-ing it's archeological fact that an ancient family grave in Jerusalem contained the remains of a dude named 'Jesus, son of Joseph' and the remains of a dudett named 'Mary'.

That kind of thing would have gotten my attention back in my 'faith years'.

Speaking for myself, no. Not because of a book. Because of my faith that what I know in my heart from my own conversations with God.

My Faith in Christ comes from the witness the Spirit gave me that Jesus is the Son of God and rose from the grave. Why would this make me question my faith? I did that years ago. And I found the answers.

Besides, hoaxes aren't difficult. Just saying.

faith is a delusion , to get you through tough times , as well as good , like a permanent parent looking after you .
some people need that umbilical cord .

even if they could prove bones belong to jc no one would believe it, except those that want too .

faith has nothing to do with fact , look at how the bibles thrown around ,

the physical world cannot prove the spiritual .

I still look at atheist as people that grew up and don't need invisible friends ,

I need all of mine .
their my favorite company , they don't try and proselytize .

Umm I think the lost tomb of Jesus has been debunked as a fraud. Or is this a new one?

But in any case I do not disupute the story of Jesus, just the accuracy of the story as far as miracles and him being the son of God.

Actually if they found his bones it would prove that he is not the son of God.

What ever happened to magic and miracles anyway?
Lots of people did them back in the old days.
heck even Pahroh's man turned his staff into a snake.

Last edited:
I saws this find you are referring to on tv and it was proven to be a fraud. Try a different approach and a new way to slam christianity.

I've never denied that the Jesus myth was inspired in the beginning by a number of actual persons who existed, included several magicians/messiahs active in the area at the time.

Just as there was a historical Muhammad and a historical Zarathustra/Zoroaster. The existence of historical persons who might have inspired, in whole or in part, any given mythos does not prove anything more than the existence of said person(s) as historical individuals.

I'd question the authenticity as the English Language didn't exist in that era.

Actually if they found his bones it would prove that he is not the son of God.

Actually, it would only prove his physical body remained and discredit one of the versions of the story to appear in the commonly accepted texts. It would say nothing wither way regarding any other supernatural claims.

i would think it a very funny hoax. Since he was Jewish, not greak, he would have not gone by the greek transliteration of his name. So the bones would belong to a Joshua and Miriam.
Since folks didn't use family names, it would be very hard to figure figure which Joshua ben Joseph it was. Joseph was a common name, given the time, Joshua was also very common.
Not as common as Judas (there were two disciples with that name) But still too common a name to make any kind of intellectual jump from a particular set of bones.

Since faith is based on message, rather than relics, after 2000 years it would no longer matter.
At the time, folks like Thomas had to see for themselves. But that was then.

Since I am not interested in the message, 2000 year old witness accounts aren't that convincing.

faith is a delusion , to get you through tough times , as well as good , like a permanent parent looking after you .
some people need that umbilical cord .

even if they could prove bones belong to jc no one would believe it, except those that want too .

faith has nothing to do with fact , look at how the bibles thrown around ,

the physical world cannot prove the spiritual .

I still look at atheist as people that grew up and don't need invisible friends ,

I need all of mine .
their my favorite company , they don't try and proselytize .

Faith has everything to do with fact. Because it's only with Faith in the truth that will provide power and hope to overcome the world.

I think you need lots of friends. Maybe they'd help you with your writing.

Forum List

Back